geezer466

HOLA441
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I don't believe the reason the helicopters were not stationary over the reactor was radiation.

Choppers are inherently unstable so they wouldn't be hovering right over hot (=reduced density) ascending jet of air. If the rotor suddenly stalls the only place to autorotate to is inside the burning reactor. This won't help anyone.

P.S. If rotor stalls you probably can't autorotate but you see what I mean. It's not worth it for a bucket of water.

Edited by refusnik

HOLA444
HOLA445

I don't believe the reason the helicopters were not stationary over the reactor was radiation. If you watch them in action over forest fires they are not stationary. Helicopters are good at collecting the water but on dropping it is best to do it while moving as this spreads the water over a wider area. In this instance it makes it more likely at least some will reach its target.

Of course to keep moving also keeps the exposure time down which is a good thing but it doesn't mean anything else is lethal.

is it not also the case that one might wish to avoid explosive expansion of bulk water masses?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Choppers are inherently unstable so they wouldn't be hovering right over hot (=reduced density) ascending jet of air. If the rotor suddenly stalls the only place to autorotate to is inside the burning reactor. This won't help anyone.

P.S. If rotor stall you probably can't autorotate but you see what I mean. It's not worth it for a bucket of water.

good point.

That said it all looks rather frightening.

On the other hand why are there not the usual forest-fire scoopy planes doing this job? Why not criss cross from a much higher altitude with a fleet of such planes, forming a continuous artificial rain? Does the water they are using contain borates?

HOLA449

good point.

That said it all looks rather frightening.

On the other hand why are there not the usual forest-fire scoopy planes doing this job? Why not criss cross from a much higher altitude with a fleet of such planes, forming a continuous artificial rain? Does the water they are using contain borates?

:( Maybe the dirty water needs to be collected? I have no idea. Forest fire planes definitely sound kosher but knowing no details they might be just as good as nuking the site from the orbit.

HOLA4410

Could be a person in an orange suit with an orange flash flight.

Seriously though, why (or even how) would somebody climb onto a pile of smouldering radioactive rubble?

Crazy situation to be in. My heart goes out to them. While they are trying to carry out a duty under extreme pressure, there cant be a few seconds that go by that they don't consider their own future and what's left of it.

And what about the guys from the Tokyo Fire Station. They must have already had a difficult week of things and the last thing they were expecting was to be involved with the plant. Now they are right in the middle of it.

HOLA4411

No idea but how about this.

Radiation levels are such that the choppers need to be decontaminated - perhaps even landed somewhere eventually and encased in their own concrete. I think this is what happened in the Ukraine.

So chopper can land nearby, get the water from nearby sea and land and refuel close to the reactors.

Whereas a fixed wing water dropping aircraft would have to fly in from closest airfield, return for re-watering and re-fueling which would make it impossible to control any contamination of those aircraft at those airfields and the route between airfield and reactor.

Or perhaps all those planes are privately owned and the owners/pilots refused to do it?

Or perhaps when they thought of using choppers they envisaged the choppers hovering over the reactors and doing pinpoint drops - which has proved impossible a variety of technical and perhaps also human reasons.

Who knows.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I wonder if in these sort of circumstances - people with terminal illnesses put themselves forward to help do things that would be eventually fatal ?

Just a strange thought I had. If you had only a matter of months to live - you may be able to go in there and do/see certain things that could potentially save thousands of people.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I wonder if in these sort of circumstances - people with terminal illnesses put themselves forward to help do things that would be eventually fatal ?

Just a strange thought I had. If you had only a matter of months to live - you may be able to go in there and do/see certain things that could potentially save thousands of people.

I would think most if not all people in that position would rather make the most of the little time they had left rather than being turned into a plutonium toasty.

Send the barstewards who manage/own the place to do the dirty work, bet they're asses won't be within a 100 miles of the place.

HOLA4416

I would think most if not all people in that position would rather make the most of the little time they had left rather than being turned into a plutonium toasty.

Send the barstewards who manage/own the place to do the dirty work, bet they're asses won't be within a 100 miles of the place.

Even if it meant potentially using their final actions to save thousands of people ?

Healthy people do this sort of thing. I just think those on their way out anyway - would be more inclined to think "****** it - just send me in and tell me what to do"

HOLA4417

Perhaps such people understand how precious life is and desire to hold on to every second of life.

The men in Ukraine knew they would die within weeks if not days and that they would most likely die painfully. Somehow they managed to block out or overcome such thoughts and do something truly heroic.

I don't know how I would react. None of us do.

HOLA4418

Please find some stills attached

What do we reckon then?

well, from those i'd say it doesn't look as radiant as I'd expect. It does indeed look the same colour as the jump-suits worn by the brave firemen.

and the answer to who'd be in there? well, I'd have thought that obvious, and not very pleasant: a dead guy. We know that some of the workers have died. If those deaths occured during explosions it seem slikely the bodies would be in amongst the wreckage

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA4419

P.S. If rotor stalls you probably can't autorotate but you see what I mean. It's not worth it for a bucket of water.

Most aircraft are inherently unstable if you fly them out of their operational limits. Helicopters have a dead mans curve that is generally slow and low so motoring along at 300ft is common sense especially considering the circumstances. If both turbines failed then i'm certain the chopper could autorotate away from the core, they have a surprisingly good glide ratio of 2+ to 1

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

A truly strange thing to see. It's like looking at an alien. (Something very primal in me knows that humans cannot look at things like that and live.)

(For all the rationalists - I know my mind is doing all the embroidering of an image which might not be what I think it is. Nevertheless it gives me the chills. It's downright spooky.)

Yeah, like seeing men on the moon! :P

HOLA4422

I'd rather send sleazy pigs from TUC. They always scream how they are protecting everybody else.

HOLA4423

Even if it meant potentially using their final actions to save thousands of people ?

Healthy people do this sort of thing. I just think those on their way out anyway - would be more inclined to think "****** it - just send me in and tell me what to do"

Got the impression you were a hardened capitalist and yet you are espousing people, usually in this sort of situation the little people, sacrifice what little time they have left for the greater good. What's the payoff ? Let's face it, they'd be forgotten about in minutes by the masses they saved. We now live in an everyman for himself capitalist world, so I'd think anyone with an ounce of sense would think screw that for a noble sacrifice.

HOLA4424

I don't understand your line of reasoning, but that is not uncommon. This is not a 'bomb site' as you put it. It's the most hostile environment on earth outside of a huge natural disaster.

So for the greater good of humanity your saying people won't follow orders? If this is a full reactor breach do you think contamination won't reach the USA?

My line of reasoning if very simple if you join the army you are saying you are prepared to take a bullet and die, that's the ultimate function of having an army. There is no difference facing instant death in a battle field or facing death with radiation.

As this crisis is unfolding to me it suggest the Japanese don't have the ability to fix the problem. Do you seriously think the Americans will want to potentially risk the entire Pacific food chain?

Do you think the US military won't have planned to deal with failed reactor in meltdown?

I'm hoping they can contain this problem without having to ask people to make the ultimate sacrifice but so far they are no nearer in containing the problem.

HOLA4425