House Price Crash Forum

Why Is Linux So Much Quicker At Downloading Files?

azogar

HOLA441
HOLA442

i have installed ubuntu onto a notebook and am gobsmacked at how much quicker downloads are than my other vista/xp systems?

why is this?!

Modern Linux distributions are very well configured for optimal network performance. The question should really be on why others aren't. Please see Enabling High Performance Data Transfers

Various tuning parameters for Vista are covered here Speedguide.net page and the same site covers other operating systems.

A lot depends on where you are downloading from - i.e. the round trip time for datagrams - and the TCP receive window in use.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

It shouldn't be, probably as live distro cd's probably have a lot less fluff loaded to take up time. Maybe you have spyware or sommat stealing bandwidth. Who knows?

On a damged xp install I once noticed a Firefox install doubled the download speed, but a re-image soon restored everything.

HOLA446

its mostly virus scanning - the network connection is the same (presumably) and the hard drives arent spinning any faster

so:

Windows -

download file,

virus scanner locks file from executing,

read all virus signatures into memory,

compare all the signatures with all the different sections of the file taking into account they often swap around the order of things,

if all OK unlock file from executing > fininshed

vs

Linux - download file > finished

HOLA447

thanks for the replies

some more info would have helped i guess!

i took an acer aspire one notebook and put ubuntu onto it (there is no hdd on these)

vs.

a siemens laptop running vista and various desktops running xp

my Internet connection is totally wireless - i have a huwaei e160 mobile broadband (three network) coupled with a huwaei d100 wireless router (so basically i am sharing the e160s broadband throughout the house on an internal wireless network)

when i play flash video on youtube - it always stops on the windows machines whereas it runs smooth on the ubuntu os

and of course downloads are far quicker -

someone mentioned the av aspect and as far as i am aware ubuntu has no av built in so maybe there is something in that

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Wow, so much wrong thinking in this thread it`s frightening. Downloading a file is at trivial operation for any OS, the limit will be your line speed and the capacity of the sending server. I have Ubuntu, XP and Win 7 on this PC and they all download at the same speed.

Maybe the OP could give us a link to a file and tell us how long it takes to download, I suggest XP SP3:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en

HOLA4413

Wow, so much wrong thinking in this thread it`s frightening. Downloading a file is at trivial operation for any OS, the limit will be your line speed and the capacity of the sending server. I have Ubuntu, XP and Win 7 on this PC and they all download at the same speed.

Maybe the OP could give us a link to a file and tell us how long it takes to download, I suggest XP SP3:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en

What are your sysctl settings?

HOLA4414

OK - i will do this when i get back from the dentist

is it worth downloading the file at the same time i.e. a race?

or should i time the windows machine and then time the ubuntu os?

HOLA4415

Snap, plus Vista and a 'Hackintosh' installation of Mac OS 10.6.6.

Vista is significantly slower than the four other operating systems at doing anything, downloading included, but the others are all much of a likeness.

HOLA4416

OK - i will do this when i get back from the dentist

is it worth downloading the file at the same time i.e. a race?

or should i time the windows machine and then time the ubuntu os?

ok - just about to start the race

vista vs ubuntu - both systems running firefox 3.6.13

HOLA4417

i stopped both downloading after 10mins as there was no clear winner (which makes me look like an idiot! yes)

however, there is definitely still an issue with watching youtube videos, where the 'download' stops on the vista and the page needs to be refreshed. this is not happening on the ubuntu os?

also, i did make my original observation on downloading much smaller files, so i will setup a race on this parameter as well

HOLA4418

I think the answer is simple : microsoft programmers are sh!t.

Did you know they recommend 192 Gbytes of RAM for Windows 7 Professional? And that's called progress. :lol:

facepalm.jpg

My Virgin 50mb downloads ridiculously fast on Windows 7, maxes out no problem.

My suggestion: Error lies somewhere between keyboard and chair.

Still, at least Linux doesn't get hacked. Oops, wrong again!

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=10544

HOLA4419

i stopped both downloading after 10mins as there was no clear winner (which makes me look like an idiot! yes)

Nothing like a computer for doing that.

I have both a Vista and and an Ubuntu 10 machine (laptop). When I get a chance, probably tomorrow, I'll try downloading stuff on both.

HOLA4420

Snap, plus Vista and a 'Hackintosh' installation of Mac OS 10.6.6.

Vista is significantly slower than the four other operating systems at doing anything, downloading included, but the others are all much of a likeness.

As I said - check out Network Autotuning. If you have it on, turn it off. Massive difference!

as per http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/15/vista-tcp-window-scaling-auto-tuning-may-slow-down-network-performance/

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Now here is a question about Linux (Ubuntu) server.

Why, when I type my username, then press return, then my password, then return, do I occasionally "beat the computer" and manage to type some of my password before the "password" prompt comes up? Given the power of modern computers, how can my "flying-two-fingered-typing" possibly beat a computer's ability to do a line feed, a carriage return and type the letters Password: on a black and white text screen? :huh:

I use five or six computers and I beat them all, often on a daily basis.

EDIT: Sorry to hijack your thread p.p. - I've just seen you've returned with the problem, back in reality, full force!

The keyboard driver in the kernel stores your typing in a buffer ready for when the application is ready to read from it.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I don't start typing until the first question Username: comes up. Then I type my username, press return and instantly start typing my password and press return. What I end up with is something like this:

Username: username

paPassword: ssword

Then it says I've failed and asks me to go again.

Ah yes, I think login programs are different in that they demand that you wait. The program will print "Password:\n", disable echoing to terminal, clear the line buffer buffer and await input.

Why I don't know; probably for some security reason.

Archived