House Price Crash Forum

To All The Show Off's With 4X4's In The Snow

pl1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that's where I live. I'd say that it's not until one can witness first hand the hoardes of women in velour leisure suits driving such cars whilst on their jewell encrusted iphones, and their property developing husbands commuting to Starbucks in them (and then parking in their God given disabled spaces) that you can really feel in a position to make such a judgement. From what I see, which may not be a national trend, they do tend to be the car of choice of a proper tool and his wife.

I agree Range Rovers and X5s are not proper 4x4s. Just cars aimed at a target market of c0cks who have a need to try and feel superior, yet I suspect are an hour away each month from declaring themselves bankrupt.

I've always assumed that you had to prove ownership of a Porsche Cayenne before you could be granted a Wilmslow residency permit. Then again, I always also assumed that the indicators on Cayennes didn't actually have bulbs in them but apparently that's not the case either.

I've always assumed that you had to prove ownership of a Porsche Cayenne before you could be granted a Wilmslow residency permit. Then again, I always also assumed that the indicators on Cayennes didn't actually have bulbs in them but apparently that's not the case either.

They use the hazard warning lights when double parked or illegally parked like it makes it ok or its some sort of cloaking device.

They use the hazard warning lights when double parked or illegally parked like it makes it ok or its some sort of cloaking device.

They are also useful as force fields that move other cars out of the way.

I can only presume this is the case as so many drivers don't start using them until their manoeuvre is under way and everyone around them has to change course to accommodate them.

If you dont mind going in a straight line. Friend of mine is a beetle enthusiast with some of work appearing on front covers of vw mags.

Lets just say its a nightmare as theres no weight over the front to help with steering or braking!

As a 17 year old I competed in various events in a 1955 1100cc Beetle.That was forty years ago.Admittedly they are more challenging to handle than many modern cars but great fun and with a pair of chunkies on the back ,about 800 kg being pushed along by 50 bhp it is quite adequate .Remember it's the direction of travel that is important not the direction you are pointing.

As a 17 year old I competed in various events in a 1955 1100cc Beetle.That was forty years ago.Admittedly they are more challenging to handle than many modern cars but great fun and with a pair of chunkies on the back ,about 800 kg being pushed along by 50 bhp it is quite adequate .Remember it's the direction of travel that is important not the direction you are pointing.

You forget that in this day and age only terminal understeer is permitted.:D

Do the SAS drive around with the UK flag on show? :lol::lol: Got to love the sunglasses, nothing like looking like a tourist.

I suppose the flag is their in the vain hope US jets don't take aim. Although if that works then the enemy will simply do the same.

This one has a full flag pole in the back.

militarytacorandy2.jpg

+1 My trusty 1992 4.2 series 80 toyota lancruiser has given me many years of superb service. Now with 250k on the clock i would still have no hesitation in driving it around the world in all conditions. If its good enough for the taliban its good enough for me. why spend £20k for some flash car to sit in the snow on your drive when you can buy one of these for around £2k on ebay and actually use it ?

I was chugging up a hill on ice in a 2 wheel drive, a balance between traction and speed, driving on tickover in 2nd will get you over most surfaces and most conditions. I find the biggest obsticle on the roads are 4x4 drivers not driving to the conditions.

Got to agree with you on the Cayennes, Fury. I dont think it's just in Wilmslow, as I'm in Brentwood (which is apparently also on the top 10 for % of 4x4s in the car population in the UK).

The other evening, middle of rushhour, some Cayenne-driving lobotomy had abandoned his Tonka Toy in an amazingly inventive manner on the forecourt of the petrol station on the main route out of town, blocking a whole set of pumps and the drive-through route beside them. From his position, he obviously wasnt buying petrol. When he eventually came back to the resulting traffic carnage, with what appeared to be no more than 20 Rothmans, one of the many, many people he'd inconvenienced remonstrated with him. Most normal people would have curled up in shame at this point, but oh no.... I think you can guess how he reacted.

I was filling up my car in the next row of pumps. Very entertaining, although not very amusing, even as an onlooker.

Twunt.

How do you 'turn it off?'

I had the car for 3 years before one icy day I heard a noise and a light came on the dashboard. I had to look it up in the handbook, I discovered that it meant that Traction Control had operated. I never knew I had it until then.

Anyway, so far, so good.

It may be the type of car is accidentally good in snow.

Back in 1963, I found that my BSA C10L motorbike would go through anything and up the most impossible hills which no car of the rare Landrover could tackle.

It seems that most motor bikes are good in snow, far better than any 4 wheeled vehicle.

I used to ride an MZ150 in the snow. Probably a bit lighter than a C10 but similar low power, low revving engine charachteristics despite being a 2 stroke and the C10 a side valve four stroke. I dont recall ever failing to get where I was going. Scariest thing about the whole exercise was car drivers following too close behind.

LOL.

I was going to comment that it must have been a fecking big vehicle to have turned into an airbase. Aren't we a bunch of insufferable pedants? wink.gif

I just can't help myself. :ph34r:

I am a pedant cheeky comment addict. :Perhaps I should seek help at the Priory for my addiction.

Legacy AWD on summer tyres here and I have to say its been brilliant in the snow as long as your careful. As mentioned earlier they have plenty of traction off the line but it wont stop or turn any better then any other car.

Was a lot of fun down lanes after a fresh dump the other day and yet to be stopped by a hill whether spinning it up or trying to coast it up. Pretty frightening how easy it is to pick up speed really.

I did get caught out during the last fall in January though. Nasty corner at the bottom of a hill had gone to virtually sheet ice, could barely walk on it never mind drive and I found myself up the kerb on that bugger.

Considering snow socks myself if this weather gets any worse.

I'd rather move about at £1.30 than sit there rammed into the hedge.

Anyway, if you can buy the car the petrol isn't likely to be an issue is it?

Bang on. I'll probably go and buy an old banger to use if the snow is going to be around for a few more weeks. How many litres of fuel would that equate to?

Was a lot of fun down lanes after a fresh dump the other day and yet to be stopped by a hill whether spinning it up or trying to coast it up. Pretty frightening how easy it is to pick up speed really.

I'd prefer it if you kept your toilet habits private :lol:

Don't agree with the "4x4 are not better" brigade who tend to come out of the wood work when this subject comes up, it is of course total ********. It is of course all about driving for and to the conditions and you get yourself around in most things if you are careful, but there is a massive advantage to a 4x4.

2 wheel drive with a ***** behind the wheel = worst case scenario

4x4 with a ***** behind the wheel = no better than a 2 wheel drive

2 wheel driver with a decent driver behind the wheel = better

4x4 with a decent driver behind the wheel = best

Obviously you can add on winter tyres and all number of gizmos but all that being equal the above remains true IMO.

The fact a vast majority of the many flash 4x4's you see these days fall well within the second category does not mean 4x4 in general are no better than a 2 wheel drive car.

My Rover built Freelander, possibly considered the shittest 4x4 by most people has been a total god send in this weather, the Seat Altea on the other hand has stayed firmly on the drive when the snow comes. Best £1900 I have ever spent.

Whilst I agree 4x4 clearly have their benefits, it is the winter tyres that make the most difference.

FWD with good winter tyres or 4X4 with the usual fat 'normal' tyres.

FWD anyday.

Of course a 4X4 with winter tyres would be the best.

I have noticed that taxis do amazingly well in the snow. Rarely do you see one of them stuck. They do seem to have high profile fairly think tyres. But still without winter tyres I would expect to see them stuck occasionally. Not seen one yet. Are they 4X4's ?

Do they have another secret ?

I have noticed that taxis do amazingly well in the snow. Rarely do you see one of them stuck. They do seem to have high profile fairly think tyres. But still without winter tyres I would expect to see them stuck occasionally. Not seen one yet. Are they 4X4's ?

Do they have another secret ?

Masons? ;)

Archived