House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

To All The Show Off's With 4X4's In The Snow

Welcome to the world of £1.30 a ltr petrol.

Not so clever now are you?

Let's face it, anyone who thinks they can afford the depreciation on a brand-new X5 isn't going to be bothered by such trifling details.

LPG is half that. Walking is cheaper I suppose, but a pain in snow. Horses are best though.

I run my 4 litre Landcruiser on reclaimed oil - 93 pence a litre, and I have no trouble getting around in the snow.

Now who's not so clever?rolleyes.gif

I run my 4 litre Landcruiser on reclaimed oil - 93 pence a litre, and I have no trouble getting around in the snow.

Now who's not so clever?rolleyes.gif

Yea must be a buggger for all those X5 owners lugging cooking oil around everywhere with them.

edit: Do you drive a car or a chip pan :lol:

Let's face it, anyone who thinks they can afford the depreciation on a brand-new X5 isn't going to be bothered by such trifling details.

I'm sure that the average X5 owner would think twice about going out in drizzle, let along snow..

I'm sure that the average X5 owner would think twice about going out in drizzle, let along snow..

you can buy 5 year old Range Rover Vogues with 70+k on them for 15k now, then spend 2k on an LPG conversion. Tell me what other quality vehicle that'll transport 4 people and 2 dogs in comfort through any conditions, you can buy which costs about the same as a normal 2.4l family saloon to run?

Yea must be a buggger for all those X5 owners lugging cooking oil around everywhere with them.

I very much doubt that BMW will honour the guarantee of any owner that puts used cooking oil in those engines. I assume they're modern high pressure common rail diesels?

you can buy 5 year old Range Rover Vogues with 70+k on them for 15k now, then spend 2k on an LPG conversion. Tell me what other quality vehicle that'll transport 4 people and 2 dogs in comfort through any conditions, you can buy which costs about the same as a normal 2.4l family saloon to run?

Pick any Volvo estate? :P

PS Seriously - the Swedes have a lot more experience of snow than anyone in this country. For years their domestic car industry churned out heavy-set family saloons and completely ignored 4x4s. Maybe that suggests something?

Pick any Volvo estate? :P

PS Seriously - the Swedes have a lot more experience of snow than anyone in this country. For years their domestic car industry churned out heavy-set family saloons and completely ignored 4x4s. Maybe that suggests something?

I have to say my Swedish car is absolute sh it in the snow.

Read quite about this - and it seems a normal front wheel drive car with proper winter tyres can often actually be better than a 4X4 with normal tyres on. The tyres are the important thing. You can have the Worlds best 4x4 system - but if you have 250 wide low profile slicks on ? You arent going up that hill anytime soon !!

The clearane does look to be handy though. For when the roads get the ruts in them and the middle bit turns to ice.

Personally the next car I will get will be a 4x4 estate with the extra clearance. Get a set of winter tyres to change over - and autosocks in the boot. That should cover me in 99% of situations.

Something like Volvo X70 or Skoda Scout.

My wifes Suzuki Vitara is brilliant on snow and mud and with a 1.6 litre engine economical enough for a regular short commute. Machines like thr X5 are silly status symbols, ours is a value for money tool for the job.

Mitsu L200. Nuff said.

Far cheaper, better built and more practical than a Range Rover.

Avoid Nissan Navaras, the engines tend to self destruct like clockwork at 60K.

Mitsu L200. Nuff said.

My brother used to have one of those. Good practical kit. Bit of a big lump for my purposes though.

Clearly jealous. No need to lug litres of cooking oil around - there are outlets of recycled oil all over the country. And if you can't find one, simply put diesel in - a tank of diesel doesn't matter now and again... though the engine is cleaner with the chip oil. sometimes my car smells of chips, sometimes of fish - both smells are more wholesome than the niff of diesel. tongue.gif

I have to say my Swedish car is absolute sh it in the snow.

I have to say, as someone who was in Sweden only last week, that is down to driver training/ability and tyres. Nothing much to do with the actual car, as the taxi drivers in their RWD beemers and merc were coping just fine.

Last year and this, we'd have been screwed without the wife's 4x4. A better question would be "What's with all the nincompoops in completely inadequate cars in the snow?" I can get anywhere I want in virtually any weather; the only problem is caused by muppets like the driver of the Lexus SC430 I had to follow at 15mph yesterday.

I have to say, as someone who was in Sweden only last week, that is down to driver training/ability and tyres. Nothing much to do with the actual car, as the taxi drivers in their RWD beemers and merc were coping just fine.

Tyres too I suspect. I used to have a Saab 9-3 but I only tried driving it on snow once. It was immediately clear that it wasn't up to the task - the wheels and tyres were just too wide and not made for the job.

Read quite about this - and it seems a normal front wheel drive car with proper winter tyres can often actually be better than a 4X4 with normal tyres on. The tyres are the important thing. You can have the Worlds best 4x4 system - but if you have 250 wide low profile slicks on ? You arent going up that hill anytime soon !!

The clearane does look to be handy though. For when the roads get the ruts in them and the middle bit turns to ice.

Personally the next car I will get will be a 4x4 estate with the extra clearance. Get a set of winter tyres to change over - and autosocks in the boot. That should cover me in 99% of situations.

Something like Volvo X70 or Skoda Scout.

Reminds me of an anecdote: years ago we went for a day's skiing in France (this was when I lived there).

For the last few kms we had to put on the chains (like everyone else).

Get to the car park and start kitting up - and we notice one car that gently glides into the car park without the clatter of chains: an antique Citroen DS.

Moral of the story: never underestimate a fwd car with narrow (probably cross-ply) tires (and a careful driver).

Mitsu L200. Nuff said.

We have an Nissan Pathfinder pickup in work, turbo's starting to go around 68K! Don't really like the way the L200 drives though, a bit too vague, preferred the Nissan.

Tyres too I suspect. I used to have a Saab 9-3 but I only tried driving it on snow once. It was immediately clear that it wasn't up to the task - the wheels and tyres were just too wide and not made for the job.

I've heard that tyres with 'directional' V-shaped treads tend to be better in snow - certainly my car, which has them, seems to be better than the wife's, which doesn't.