House Price Crash Forum

Snow Causing 1.2 Billion A Day Disruption

rahhhh

HOLA441

The local farmer to me has cleared a small section of the local road with a tractor with front loader, but then has spent the rest of the day moving grain around.

Why no provision for paying farmers to clear the roads?

With large amounts of snow snowploughing rather than gritting/salting would seem the best option to me

HOLA442

The local farmer to me has cleared a small section of the local road with a tractor with front loader, but then has spent the rest of the day moving grain around.

With large amounts of snow snowploughing rather than gritting/salting would seem the best option to me

Because the Union and Management of the Snow Clearing Industry would vehemently oppose it. :rolleyes:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Far too simple a solution for our bureaucratic country !!!! :)

Edited by mrmagooisagovteconomist

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

as I understand it they do pay farmers to do it. Only problem was the snow would just get pushed to the road side verge - and across your own driveway - so you had to dig yourself out to get onto the 'cleared road'. :(

Snow blowers are the best for shifting the stuff.

Edited by olliegog

HOLA4410

Because we are already paying him to shift grain around.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Many farmers are already under contract by local councils to clear snow. Imo people in the UK are far too quick to start bleeting on about how other countries cope so well and how the UK grinds to a halt etc etc. I remember being in NYC in the winter and much or the carnage that happens here also happened over there.

HOLA4415

Luckily I can work from home, started driving into work today but turned back after 5 minutes after nearly causing a crash, and that is despite me knowing how to drive in the snow being from Sweden whatnot. Against ice you just don't stand a chance.

HOLA4416

Luckily I can work from home, started driving into work today but turned back after 5 minutes after nearly causing a crash, and that is despite me knowing how to drive in the snow being from Sweden whatnot. Against ice you just don't stand a chance.

Just mentioned your post to my girlfriend, who is working from home because it looked too icy to drive to work this morning and she said:

"But he's not working from home is he!?!?! He's on that stupid website!". :lol:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Just mentioned your post to my girlfriend, who is working from home because it looked too icy to drive to work this morning and she said:

"But he's not working from home is he!?!?! He's on that stupid website!". :lol:

:lol:

Women, bless them... she's sort of right, of course.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

:lol:

Women, bless them... she's sort of right, of course.

Just told my missus your reply and she said:

"Tell him that not only can she work from home, but she can do it at the same time as making tea and toast for her boyfriend, unlike all those lazy c4nts who spend all day on that website!" (I'm assuming that includes me) :lol:

The language shocked me too, she's normally very mild mannered.

Edited by General Congreve

HOLA4421

Just told my missus your reply and she said:

"Tell him that not only can she work from home, but she can do it at the same time as making tea and toast for her boyfriend, unlike all those lazy c4nts who spend all day on that website!" (I'm assuming that includes me) :lol:

Fantastic! :lol:

That'll be all that multi-tasking that men can't possibly do.

It's a bit like the boys v. the girls in the playground.

We men have to focus, give it our all. ;)

Edit: removed superfluous comma.

Edited by tinker

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425