House Price Crash Forum
rahhhh

Snow Causing 1.2 Billion A Day Disruption

The local farmer to me has cleared a small section of the local road with a tractor with front loader, but then has spent the rest of the day moving grain around.

Why no provision for paying farmers to clear the roads?

With large amounts of snow snowploughing rather than gritting/salting would seem the best option to me

The local farmer to me has cleared a small section of the local road with a tractor with front loader, but then has spent the rest of the day moving grain around.

With large amounts of snow snowploughing rather than gritting/salting would seem the best option to me

Because the Union and Management of the Snow Clearing Industry would vehemently oppose it. :rolleyes:

Far too simple a solution for our bureaucratic country !!!! :)

Edited by mrmagooisagovteconomist

Are you sure local farmers are not under contract, by local authorities? Tractors were whizzing around near me clearing snow and doing a very good job too.

as I understand it they do pay farmers to do it. Only problem was the snow would just get pushed to the road side verge - and across your own driveway - so you had to dig yourself out to get onto the 'cleared road'. :(

Snow blowers are the best for shifting the stuff.

Edited by olliegog

Because we are already paying him to shift grain around.

Shopkeepers annoy me the most, for not clearing pavements outside their shops, expecting you to do a Torvil and Dean routine in order to spend money with them. The pavement outside my Sainsbury's local is like a skating rink.

this is costing us $1.2Bn / day, yet hosting the world cup would have only brought in a TOTAL of £3bn. Pi$$ing in the wind springs to mind.

Many farmers are already under contract by local councils to clear snow. Imo people in the UK are far too quick to start bleeting on about how other countries cope so well and how the UK grinds to a halt etc etc. I remember being in NYC in the winter and much or the carnage that happens here also happened over there.

Luckily I can work from home, started driving into work today but turned back after 5 minutes after nearly causing a crash, and that is despite me knowing how to drive in the snow being from Sweden whatnot. Against ice you just don't stand a chance.

Luckily I can work from home, started driving into work today but turned back after 5 minutes after nearly causing a crash, and that is despite me knowing how to drive in the snow being from Sweden whatnot. Against ice you just don't stand a chance.

Just mentioned your post to my girlfriend, who is working from home because it looked too icy to drive to work this morning and she said:

"But he's not working from home is he!?!?! He's on that stupid website!". :lol:

Just mentioned your post to my girlfriend, who is working from home because it looked too icy to drive to work this morning and she said:

"But he's not working from home is he!?!?! He's on that stupid website!". :lol:

:lol:

Women, bless them... she's sort of right, of course.

Could the lost revenues due to the snow be why they have to unexpectedly print more money early in the new year?

Indeed, it is fortunate that the weather is also playing it's part in speeding up the end of our corrupt monetary system.

:lol:

Women, bless them... she's sort of right, of course.

Just told my missus your reply and she said:

"Tell him that not only can she work from home, but she can do it at the same time as making tea and toast for her boyfriend, unlike all those lazy c4nts who spend all day on that website!" (I'm assuming that includes me) :lol:

The language shocked me too, she's normally very mild mannered.

Edited by General Congreve

Just told my missus your reply and she said:

"Tell him that not only can she work from home, but she can do it at the same time as making tea and toast for her boyfriend, unlike all those lazy c4nts who spend all day on that website!" (I'm assuming that includes me) :lol:

Fantastic! :lol:

That'll be all that multi-tasking that men can't possibly do.

It's a bit like the boys v. the girls in the playground.

We men have to focus, give it our all. ;)

Edit: removed superfluous comma.

Edited by tinker

...at the same time as making tea and toast for her boyfriend...

Yes, girlfriends are just great at that sort of thing.

General Congreave hahaha, well I check this website and play a bit of bad company 2 online as well, but not today because I have a deadline :(

General Congreave hahaha, well I check this website and play a bit of bad company 2 online as well, but not today because I have a deadline :(

Sounds like a good mix, love a bit of the old FPS myself, hear Bad Company 2 is a very good game, must get off HPC and buy it soon!