House Price Crash Forum

Real Assets

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I could live without all of those. But then, I'm a simple soul.

unless you have an entirely self-sufficient lifestyle and do not depend on cheap food energy and water only enabled by agribusiness, utilities, finance, and information technology, then I suspect you are hugely dependent on them

HOLA447

There are 4 types of real assets:

(1) Land

(2) People (e.g. invest in your own skills etc). Think FT was talking about a 'teenager backed bond' too...

(3) Capital goods (this include buildings, machines, intellectual properties and of course weapon)

(4) natural resources (oil, industrial matters and maybe gold etc).

stock and shares are indirect claims to the above 4.

Money is secondary indirect claims to the above 4.

Pensions etc are even more indirect claims to the above.

It is quite entertaining to listen to Mr Rogers and Dr Faber, but think before you believe everything they say.

Edited by easybetman

HOLA448
HOLA449

(2) People (e.g. invest in your own skills etc). Think FT was talking about a 'teenager backed bond' too...

this suggests a way to full privatisation of funding for higher education - via a graduate tax to be levied by the agency issuing the bond...?

Edited by Si1

HOLA4410

unless you have an entirely self-sufficient lifestyle and do not depend on cheap food energy and water only enabled by agribusiness, utilities, finance, and information technology, then I suspect you are hugely dependent on them

Good points.

I'm pretty certain of my future water, food and oil needs, not so sure about the others - especially finance. One thing I am fairly sure of though is that I'm planning to cut back my spending for the forseeable future. If my mindset is typical of the country as a whole, there might be implications for our economy. :)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Agree with land, oil, people etc. but not gold.

Land you can build on, farm on. Oil you need it to make machines work.

Gold, on the other hand has very little intrinsic value. For science and technology use it can be coated so thin there is more than enough to go around, 1 ounce of it goes along way.

Gold is just another currency, especially useful in times of previous wars, because you could take it with you and it is a universal currency regonised since the age dot. But in model times if we have a war, we'll be FUBAR, any winners will be the country with the biggest guns (USA). The USA would rather go to war than try and let the living standards of it's elite go down. This is a fact, even though I'm not fond of USA policies right now.

Gold lovers are just trying to creat another bubble and hope to make a profit from it. Put it this way unless you trade that gold you have collected all it will ever be is some shinny stuff sitting there waiting for someone to nick it. Eventually you'll have to trade it for some other currency or go back to using gold nuggets as real money.

HOLA4414

WOW, all these people with real assets.

shame they will die when real assets are gone or in short supply.....food and water.

Still, a skeleton adorned with gold and silver looks nice for future generations to dig up. Die in style.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

All those assets mentioned , land, oil, gold, blah ,blah... none are actually independently valuable. Knowledge is the only real asset. The rest are commodities. Without knowledge oil is useless, without knowledge land is useless, the list goes on. Knowledge in the form of people are true assets, it's a shame that most of us seem to forget that.

HOLA4417

All those assets mentioned , land, oil, gold, blah ,blah... none are actually independently valuable. Knowledge is the only real asset. The rest are commodities. Without knowledge oil is useless, without knowledge land is useless, the list goes on. Knowledge in the form of people are true assets, it's a shame that most of us seem to forget that.

Add a library to the list then. Anything can be understood with enough reading.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

True, but restrict access to those commodities/raw materials and that knowledge (combined with ambition / tooling) is worthless.

It is why I think job creation is going to be chronic, there is plenty of talent still in the UK but it is and looks to continue to be strangled by debt / commitments and costs before it even has a chance. Still keep everything up to bubble levels and bail out the banks - that is the only course this bunch of corrupt incompetents can muster, mainly because none of them have ever done one iota of productive work in their lives.

HOLA4420

DEBT is an asset.

With all this debt swishing around, someone is pretty rich. Debt forces people to work on the land, extract mineral resources from the ground, make water potable etc.

Debt costs nothing to create, but drives people to get up in the morning, each day, each week, each year.... wonderful.

HOLA4421

DEBT is an asset.

With all this debt swishing around, someone is pretty rich. Debt forces people to work on the land, extract mineral resources from the ground, make water potable etc.

Debt costs nothing to create, but drives people to get up in the morning, each day, each week, each year.... wonderful.

Carrot+on+a+stick.png.png

HOLA4422

Agree with land, oil, people etc. but not gold.

Land you can build on, farm on. Oil you need it to make machines work.

Gold, on the other hand has very little intrinsic value. For science and technology use it can be coated so thin there is more than enough to go around, 1 ounce of it goes along way.

Gold is just another currency, especially useful in times of previous wars, because you could take it with you and it is a universal currency regonised since the age dot. But in model times if we have a war, we'll be FUBAR, any winners will be the country with the biggest guns (USA). The USA would rather go to war than try and let the living standards of it's elite go down. This is a fact, even though I'm not fond of USA policies right now.

Gold lovers are just trying to creat another bubble and hope to make a profit from it. Put it this way unless you trade that gold you have collected all it will ever be is some shinny stuff sitting there waiting for someone to nick it. Eventually you'll have to trade it for some other currency or go back to using gold nuggets as real money.

Gold is a means of exchange. It has no innate value, which is the point. You wouldnt want to use a means of exchange that was better used up in doing something productive.

However gold is also a means of storing value, currency COULD be a store of value if it wasn't progressively debased. Your comment about gold being a bubble is only applicable because it measured in something who's quantities are increasing in exponential proportions...fiat and debt. The rest of your last paragraph is difficult to understand.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425