House Price Crash Forum

250 People For One Job

HOLA441
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Had an interview for a skilled IT job a few days back. Apparently 250 people applied, 10 got a first interview (including me).

Wonder what others' experiences are. If this carries on for too long I'm leaving this country before Christmas :angry:

Where?

I applied for a skilled IT job near Newton Abbot, and I was the only one who applied. :lol::lol::lol: And I was the second attempt on the employers part, apparently. The first time they advertised their vacancy with all the usual agencies they got no applications at all.

In the South West in general companies seem rather short on applicants from what I've seen. Pay tends to be low and cost of living high, however.

HOLA443

Had an interview for a skilled IT job a few days back. Apparently 250 people applied, 10 got a first interview (including me).

Wonder what others' experiences are. If this carries on for too long I'm leaving this country before Christmas :angry:

Around graduation time I remember seeing finance type jobs with 50-200 applications on them a lot of the grad training schemes will have about 100-600 applications to them. BUt i think the applicants have become savvy to the CV harvesting on such sites.

HOLA444

Advertised a job for a new accountant. IE recently qualified, a real opportunity to shine, learn something and make the job your own.

Got no applicants under 50 and then only 3 of them.

Advertised for a job for a receptionist. Got 4 applicants, offered an interview to all 4. 2 of which never returned the call, one was in her 40s, other one 18. She got the job by virtue of being the cutest.

Im not seeing this hunger for jobs at all.

HOLA445

Where?

I applied for a skilled IT job near Newton Abbot, and I was the only one who applied. :lol::lol::lol: And I was the second attempt on the employers part, apparently. The first time they advertised their vacancy with all the usual agencies they got no applications at all.

In the South West in general companies seem rather short on applicants from what I've seen. Pay tends to be low and cost of living high, however.

Newton Abbot is cornwall though, nobody wants to go there! The thing is recruiters have shot themselves in the foot, they have posted so many fake jobs over and over nobody trusts them any more.

I humilated a few of them as well since my Manchester contacts are pretty extensive and I caught several agencies out.

HOLA446

Newton Abbot is cornwall though, nobody wants to go there!

It's Devon, and Devon is a great place to live. ;)

I humilated a few of them as well since my Manchester contacts

Manchester??? Jeez, what a dump. I went to Manchester once and the first thing I noticed was how there was rubbish and crap absolutely everywhere. It was even worse than London.

Maybe you should try Newton Abbot rather than some northern dungeon. :P;)

Edited by EUBanana

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

It's Devon, and Devon is a great place to live. ;)

Manchester??? Jeez, what a dump. I went to Manchester once and the first thing I noticed was how there was rubbish and crap absolutely everywhere. It was even worse than London.

Maybe you should try Newton Abbot rather than some northern dungeon. :P;)

Hey I know manchester isn't great, I realise it needs to be bombarded with 5-6 million thermonuclear bombs...

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

We advertised for a desktop user support officer and had 180 applications. Then had 150 for an admin position in our organisation. Mate of mine has been going through about 150 applications for an analyst type position in the NHS.

Definitely lots of competition in London, majority of the applications we had were over-qualified people who had, by the looks of things, lost jobs in the City since companies there have been shedding IT support positions.

What's one of those? Sounds as souless as being a diversity officer.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

You tell people who don't know how to insert a picture in a document how to do it. Used to be easy until some dipstick at Microsoft brought out Office 2007 and took us back to the dark ages.

2007 and indeed 2010 are clear examples of how outsourcing software development to India makes crap products.

As someone who tells business what software to get, I advise them to stick with their existing Office version and save the money. Nice move Microsoft and to think I used to have shares in you. :lol:

Edited by Johnny Storm

HOLA4415

What's one of those? Sounds as souless as being a diversity officer.

You need a few of them if running Windows. Should run Linux on the desktop then someone could log in miles away via SSH :lol:

And of course tech support will become an endangered species as people migrate their desktop operations to the "cloud."

Edited by Sir John Steed

HOLA4416

You tell people who don't know how to insert a picture in a document how to do it. Used to be easy until some dipstick at Microsoft brought out Office 2007 and took us back to the dark ages.

Well, if a piece of software difficult to understand then I guess the quality of support staff has gone through the floor since I left support in the early 1990's. However, Office has not improved in any way since 4.2, how many ways can you overcomplicate producing a document?

And of course tech support will become an endangered species as people migrate their desktop operations to the "cloud."

Right... and the office will become paperless soon after. I've listened to this 'over the rainbow' ******** for over 30 years.

Edited by Peter Hun

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I'm in danger starting this post with the Daily Mail style cliché of: "I'm not racist but.... "

So here goes. I'm not racist but, I recruit quite a few skilled IT positions in London (typically £45k - £90k salary range), and I usually get 50 CV's from applicants from India, for every 1 UK/Other CV. These are typically HSMP to 2012 / 2013, with either no UK-specific previous experience, offshore-only expereince, or maybe 1 previous UK project.

They are also typically coming from a job that paid the equivilent of £6,000 (5 lakh rupee), yet pricing themselves at around £60,000 in the UK. You have to be very careful phrasing questions like: "Why do you think I owe you 10x what you were previously worth, overnight, simply by getting on a plane?".

HOLA4420

Where will you go?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

It took us months to find 2 new skilled .NET developers recently. Not that many candidates put through, and of those most were rubbish.

We certainly were not swamped..

Sounds about right, I just checked we have 112 unfilled positions currently.

HOLA4423

I'm moving to the UK from Ireland in October. It's a senior management role in the food industry. Supposedly there are 204 applicants for every vacancy in the UK food industry, but they had to offer me a vulgar package to fill the role :D

In my current gig I'm recruiting at a site in Scotland for a production manager and in Bristol for an engineer. The calibre of the CVs coming into me are woeful. I know that there are genuine misfortunates out there, but at the risk of serious flaming, a lot of companies have used the current crisis to offload their dead wood.

HOLA4424

They are also typically coming from a job that paid the equivilent of £6,000 (5 lakh rupee), yet pricing themselves at around £60,000 in the UK. You have to be very careful phrasing questions like: "Why do you think I owe you 10x what you were previously worth, overnight, simply by getting on a plane?".

Well why shouldn't they earn £60k if they are able to do the same job?

HOLA4425