House Price Crash Forum

Fast & Economical Cars. Whats Out There?

TylerDurden

HOLA441

Hi.

I'm thinking of selling my old Mk1 golf Gti as its starting to show its age unfortunately. I really like fast agile cars but I do need to be getting good mpg nowadays, The higher the better, Deffinately above 40mpg anyway.

So whats out there at the moment. I dont really like diesels allthough I hear they're much better these days. And I dont want another VW as they're not as reliable as they used to be and are a bit niggly to repair I believe.

My friend lent me his clio 172 cup which I was very impressed with. The cup is ideal as they take off all the things that break constantly on Renaults like air con, sun roofs, abs. And it really went well. He always see's around the 40mpg mark and i'm pretty smitten on finding a nice used example but wanted to see what else could be an option as ive been into old cars up untill now.

Anyone have any suggestions of vehicles I could try out.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I do not have one but they look cool...not a lot of space, bit of a girls car but seen plenty of men drive them. ;)

FIAT 500 Review Road Test Data

Model Reviewed Fiat 500 1.2 Lounge

Body Type 3-Door Hatchback

Performance ~ manufacturers figures

0 - 62 mph 12.9 Seconds

Top Speed 99 mph

Transmission 5-Speed Manual

Fuel Type Unleaded Petrol

Economy ~ manufacturers figures

Urban 44.1 mpg

Extra Urban 65.7 mpg

Combined 55.4 mpg

Insurance Group 4

Euro NCAP Rating 5

Warranty 3-Year / 60,000 Mile Warranty

Price

when tested on the 24/02/08 £9,300

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I have a 10 year old VW Bora TDI 1.9 litre. Very smooth. Very reliable and goes at a decent rate. Although fast is not a word I would use to describe it. Lost of torque though being a diesel turbo.

MPG is generally about 55 which is pretty excellent. Especially as it costs about £60 to fill.

HOLA447

I know you said you don't like diesel or want another VW, but I know someone with a T reg diesel Golf and they're brilliant - lots of poke to them. Definitely going to be my next car.

I am a track day fanatic and really like driving petrol cars on the track.

The rest of the time, I much prefer driving my wife's diesel car. For day to day use, diesel engines are much more tractable. Torque wins out over horsepower 99% of the time.

Clarkson calls diesel the fuel of Satan or something. He is wrong.

HOLA448

Thanks for replies. I really dont want a VW. From experience of friends cars they are unreliable nowadays.

I love the idea of a civic type R but that site seemed to think it was more like 30mpg combined. The clio cup is more like 40mpg.

Cant find the figures for the focus rs but im pretty sure they would be expensive as they have the turbo engine.

And winkie... Although i do like the 500, 0-60 in 12.9 secs and 99mph top speed is not fast. infact its not fast enough to be on the road lol.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Lotus Elise can deliver surprisingly good economy on the basis it weighs as much as a crisp packet. 40mpg sounds tricky unless you want to go diesel or spend a lot of money. What budget/practicality/insurance issues do you have?

Quick/frugal/agile - could be many of previous generation hot hatches. Something like a 306 Rallye? The Clios you mention, an Ibiza Cupra with the VW 1.8T engine (just about)

From the sound of things an MX-5 would not be fast enough unless you look for a FI conversion and then I've no idea about consumption :lol:

Sensible head on, if you want to pay the money, the 2nd gen MINI Cooper S sounds about right.

Sound like you don't want to go down the diseasel route which I can completely understand.

HOLA4411

Best mpg car on the market at the moment is the Seat Ibiza Ecomotion ultra urban gets 100mpg, it actually looks pretty good and having just picked up new job with long commute its what I am looking at

the only other option which has the speed for motorway and good mpg is the mini cooper but it hits you on safety (only a 3 rating as oppose to 5) and it costs way more - although holds value better

majority of really good mpg are all diesel / hybrid once you get to petrol you are not going to do better than 30ish in real terms

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

My little Skoda does 50MPG across Europe, has 170BHP and enough torque to pull tree stumps out of the ground, handles reasonably....not too heavily modified... Revo map... TT front disks and a stiff rear antiroll bar. Good cheap reliable motor for a retired old duffer who does a lot of miles :lol:.

Diesel of course ;).

HOLA4414

for a normal four door car you want at least 2.5 litres, preferable 3.0

BMW make the most efficient desiels, it has been there main focus, there desiels are much better than the petrols now

3.0 litre 3 series diesel is 50MPG... 241bhp, 0-62 6.1s. Your not going to get a anywhere near this performance from anyone else. The Skoda's and Seats dont come close

Or wait until 2013 and get 350bhp at 75mpg, BMW is really focussing on efficiency because they are german and very european and are planning for all the new restrictive european laws...

The Vision ED sportscar is powered by a three-cylinder turbodiesel engine combined with two electric motors. These motors produce 356 hp and a peak torque of 590 lb-ft. It hits a top speed of 155mph and makes the 0-60mph sprint in 4.8 seconds. Fuel consumption is reduced to 75.1 mpg imp, while CO2 emissions is just 99 grams/km.
http://www.topspeed....ar-ar91348.html

BMW Facts and figures on the BMW website

HOLA4415

My little Skoda does 50MPG across Europe, has 170BHP and enough torque to pull tree stumps out of the ground, handles reasonably....not too heavily modified... Revo map... TT front disks and a stiff rear antiroll bar. Good cheap reliable motor for a retired old duffer who does a lot of miles :lol:.

Diesel of course ;).

:lol: When he said agile, I don't think he wanted one that flipped on its roof at the drop of a hat ;)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Can't go wrong with a Honda Jazz - I have one & I'm 6'2".

Not the sexiest car, but inexpensive, cheap on insurance, sips at the petrol & very roomy & configurable inside.

Servicing is pricey though, but I stump up for a Honda service each year & it's like getting a new car back. They really are bulletproof.

HOLA4419

I've recently test driven a BMW 320d and a Merc C220: Both boast silly MPGs (60 ish combined) and yet, despite being deisels, performed better than any car I've ever driven except an Imprezza turbo. Plus they're both a bit classier than a hot hatch.

HOLA4420

Thanks for replies. I really dont want a VW. From experience of friends cars they are unreliable nowadays.

I love the idea of a civic type R but that site seemed to think it was more like 30mpg combined. The clio cup is more like 40mpg.

sorry the type S does 44mpg combined

a 1.8 ltr - 127 mph and 8.9secs- 0-60

but its not really a hothatch

personally I dont care about mpg and I hope to buy a Mazda RX8 pretty shortly

or if the $ collapses I may go for a Mustang

HOLA4421

for a normal four door car you want at least 2.5 litres, preferable 3.0

BMW make the most efficient desiels, it has been there main focus, there desiels are much better than the petrols now

3.0 litre 3 series diesel is 50MPG... 241bhp, 0-62 6.1s.  Your not going to get a anywhere near this performance from anyone else.  The Skoda's and Seats dont come close  

Or wait until 2013 and get 350bhp at 75mpg, BMW is really focussing on efficiency because they are german and very european and are planning for all the new restrictive european laws...http://www.topspeed....ar-ar91348.html

BMW Facts and figures on the BMW website

Have to say, I had no idea beamers returned such good economy from a really quite meaty engine.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Have to say, I had no idea beamers returned such good economy from a really quite meaty engine.

Yeah depressing, all the EU needs to do it increase the tax on inefficient cars and the ONLY cars you will be able to afford to drive will be a BMW, clever egh...

HOLA4424
Guest Noodle

Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTi Energy

110mph

0-60, 11.5 secs

Urban mpg 61.4

Extra-urban mpg 88.3

Combined mpg 76.3

Group 0 insurance

Class A road tax (free)

It's the future.

. . . and you can make it look like this!

opel-corsa-opc-2007-1-1024x768.jpg

HOLA4425
Guest Noodle

Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTi Energy

110mph

0-60, 11.5 secs

Urban mpg 61.4

Extra-urban mpg 88.3

Combined mpg 76.3

Group 0 insurance

Class A road tax (free)

It's the future.

. . . and you can make it look like this!

opel-corsa-opc-2007-1-1024x768.jpg

Archived