House Price Crash Forum

Fast & Economical Cars. Whats Out There?

TylerDurden

HOLA441

Other half had a Smart (the four-two) and they aren't a good drive at all. Yes, they are pretty economical and very handy in town but if you like exciting driving they aren't it. The automatic is horrible but the semi-auto is a tad more bearable.This presumes that the roadster uses the same engine/gear box as the fourtwo. Also, the engines have a tendency to destroy themselves as they are quite highly stressed units.

Isn't the engine in them, something like 660cc? You'd have to rev the nuts off it to get anything out.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest Noodle

:)

To be fair, the thread title clearly states "fast and economical"

You failed on the "fast" bit by suggesting a bunch of eco-snails.

But we can make them look fast . . . with stripes and big shiny wheels and wotnot.

Only going to be sat in the same traffic jam as everyone else.

If you silly little boyz want fast, you'll not find it in your faggy little carz.

:D

BMW%20S1000R%20HP.jpg

Oh yes! If only I had the money.

HOLA445

I do not have one but they look cool...not a lot of space, bit of a girls car but seen plenty of men drive them. ;)

FIAT 500 Review Road Test Data

I like the look of these but they're turning out like chavs and appear to be soddin' everywhere now.

for a normal four door car you want at least 2.5 litres, preferable 3.0

BMW make the most efficient desiels, it has been there main focus, there desiels are much better than the petrols now

3.0 litre 3 series diesel is 50MPG... 241bhp, 0-62 6.1s.  Your not going to get a anywhere near this performance from anyone else.  The Skoda's and Seats dont come close  

Or wait until 2013 and get 350bhp at 75mpg, BMW is really focussing on efficiency because they are german and very european and are planning for all the new restrictive european laws...http://www.topspeed....ar-ar91348.html

BMW Facts and figures on the BMW website

I've recently test driven a BMW 320d and a Merc C220: Both boast silly MPGs (60 ish combined) and yet, despite being deisels, performed better than any car I've ever driven except an Imprezza turbo. Plus they're both a bit classier than a hot hatch.

I've got the opportunity to buy a 320d Compact in a few weeks. My 2 litre Petrol Automatic is killing me on both road tax and fuel so I may well take the chance on the BMW :) .

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Isn't the engine in them, something like 660cc? You'd have to rev the nuts off it to get anything out.

Yeah, 599cc, I think. Don't get me wrong, they are a good concept for a city car but not for an all-round vehicle - but how many people just use them in cities? Then again, even in town you find your self revving the tits off them which isn't good for fuel economy - or a highly stressed drive-train. When you factor in what they cost to buy new you realise that economy has got very little to do with it. If they were 5 grand for a top of the line one then they would work. The one my other half had was 11K new (she bought second hand) which is a p1ss-take, quite honestly.

They are mostly bought by people who think they're saving the earth who would do more enviromental good buying a 15 year old 5 litre merc than buying a brand new car of any description!

HOLA4410

Yeah, 599cc, I think. Don't get me wrong, they are a good concept for a city car but not for an all-round vehicle - but how many people just use them in cities? Then again, even in town you find your self revving the tits off them which isn't good for fuel economy - or a highly stressed drive-train. When you factor in what they cost to buy new you realise that economy has got very little to do with it. If they were 5 grand for a top of the line one then they would work. The one my other half had was 11K new (she bought second hand) which is a p1ss-take, quite honestly.

They are mostly bought by people who think they're saving the earth who would do more enviromental good buying a 15 year old 5 litre merc than buying a brand new car of any description!

I suppose a plus point with them is that you can interchange body panels...

HOLA4411

We are just waiting to pick up a 170hp diesel Scirocco which ticks your boxes, but is VW. Wife refused a BMW otherwise as people have said here, their diesel 3 series look great on paper and would have been next on my list.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Diesels can explode, and cover you in soot! :huh:

Some of these "high performance" diesels deal with some excrutiating stresses in the engine department, leading to sudden

engine loss and an empty wallet!

Archived