House Price Crash Forum

Fast & Economical Cars. Whats Out There?

TylerDurden

HOLA441

Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTi Energy

110mph

0-60, 11.5 secs

Urban mpg 61.4

Extra-urban mpg 88.3

Combined mpg 76.3

Group 0 insurance

Class A road tax (free)

It's the future.

. . . and you can make it look like this!

Unfortunately it's really really SLOW, so doesn't really qualify for this thread

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Lotus Elise can deliver surprisingly good economy on the basis it weighs as much as a crisp packet. 40mpg sounds tricky unless you want to go diesel or spend a lot of money. What budget/practicality/insurance issues do you have?

Quick/frugal/agile - could be many of previous generation hot hatches. Something like a 306 Rallye? The Clios you mention, an Ibiza Cupra with the VW 1.8T engine (just about)

From the sound of things an MX-5 would not be fast enough unless you look for a FI conversion and then I've no idea about consumption :lol:

Sensible head on, if you want to pay the money, the 2nd gen MINI Cooper S sounds about right.

Sound like you don't want to go down the diseasel route which I can completely understand.

Yes the Elise would be perfect but i need more practicality. Especialy as we already have an mX5. Its not very quick, not very good on fuel and not very spacious. I must say i'm not that keen but she loves it.

Whats this f1 conversion?

HOLA443
Guest Noodle

Unfortunately it's really really SLOW, so doesn't really qualify for this thread

110 mph is fast enough.

88.2 mpg!!!

HOLA444

for a normal four door car you want at least 2.5 litres, preferable 3.0

BMW make the most efficient desiels, it has been there main focus, there desiels are much better than the petrols now

3.0 litre 3 series diesel is 50MPG... 241bhp, 0-62 6.1s.  Your not going to get a anywhere near this performance from anyone else.  The Skoda's and Seats dont come close  

Or wait until 2013 and get 350bhp at 75mpg, BMW is really focussing on efficiency because they are german and very european and are planning for all the new restrictive european laws...http://www.topspeed....ar-ar91348.html

BMW Facts and figures on the BMW website

Yep, you have to hand it to them. They do have a brilliant product. I'm especially keen on the 330d. Its simply the servicing costs that are slightly scary, yet they are reliable and good value. Do they actually get the 50mpg people claim?

HOLA445

Yes the Elise would be perfect but i need more practicality. Especialy as we already have an mX5. Its not very quick, not very good on fuel and not very spacious. I must say i'm not that keen but she loves it.

FI = Forced Induction, I think its the mk1 1.6 that take a supercharger nicely and presumably some of the later models but if you have one anyway, not much point.

HOLA446

Honda S2000? I hear very good things about them, although If I were to go crazy, i'd love to go for an Aeriel Atom..If you want to go for a smaller car, one of the best small around, I think anyway, is a Suzuki Swift.

HOLA447

I do not have one but they look cool...not a lot of space, bit of a girls car but seen plenty of men drive them. ;)

FIAT 500 Review Road Test Data

Ugh, it's a horrible car. While I was in Italy I drove a petrol Fiat 500 for several weeks, and it was tiny, physically painful to drive, and only seemed economical because the fuel gauge stayed at full until you'd burned a quarter of a tank.

Perhaps the Abarth version might be better, but I wouldn't even think of buying one of the ordinary models. If you're that worried about fuel consumption get a decent-sized diesel car instead.

HOLA448
Guest Noodle

19538.jpg

Mini Cooper 1.6D

Fuel consumption (urban) 60.1 mpg

Fuel consumption (extra urban) 80.7 mpg

Fuel consumption (combined) 72.4 mpg

0 - 62 mph 9.9 seconds

Top speed 121 mph

Cylinders 4

Valves 16 v

Engine power 110 bhp

Engine torque 177 lbs/ft

HOLA449

Yep, you have to hand it to them. They do have a brilliant product. I'm especially keen on the 330d. Its simply the servicing costs that are slightly scary, yet they are reliable and good value. Do they actually get the 50mpg people claim?

I have to say I didnt get stellar MPG on my recent BMW test drive, although I did on the Merc. I think that might have been down to the nature of the driving I did with each. Drive a heavy car with a lead foot and/or round town and you're going to get crap MPG no matter what the manufacturers say...

HOLA4410

My wife had a 320d Touring when we lived in Europe. Actual, measured fuel consumption was 54mpg.

The 330d is nice but I reckon the 320d is the sweet spot in the range for a compromise of performance and economy.

HOLA4411

Ugh, it's a horrible car. While I was in Italy I drove a petrol Fiat 500 for several weeks, and it was tiny, physically painful to drive, and only seemed economical because the fuel gauge stayed at full until you'd burned a quarter of a tank.

Perhaps the Abarth version might be better, but I wouldn't even think of buying one of the ordinary models. If you're that worried about fuel consumption get a decent-sized diesel car instead.

Mark, from your comments I was right not exactly a mans car...anyway there is no way I would buy one any time soon, to be truthful I don't mind small cars in fact I prefer them...if I was in the market to get a new motor it would probably be a small second hand van...I would consider diesel though. ;)

HOLA4412
Guest Noodle

Mark, from your comments I was right not exactly a mans car...anyway there is no way I would buy one any time soon, to be truthful I don't mind small cars in fact I prefer them...if I was in the market to get a new motor it would probably be a small second hand van...I would consider diesel though. ;)

Try a Corsavan 1.3 CDTi, 74mpg and the insurance was dirt cheap.

HOLA4413

My wife had a 320d Touring when we lived in Europe. Actual, measured fuel consumption was 54mpg.

The 330d is nice but I reckon the 320d is the sweet spot in the range for a compromise of performance and economy.

And you think the 320 has good performance?

In that case i'm sold. I hadn't even considered the 320 as a two litre sounds small in a fair size car. But I'll check the figures out. Unlike renault i dont mind buying a slightly older Bmw as they seem to last well with few problems. I like the clio's but not sure i'd want an older one.

Also if i went for the 320 touring I'd have space for bikes, boards and the odd camping trip. I guess it would lack the thrilling drive of the clio, but as i say, we also have the mx5 which is good for short blasts.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

In that case i'm sold. I hadn't even considered the 320 as a two litre sounds small in a fair size car. But I'll check the figures out. Unlike renault i dont mind buying a slightly older Bmw as they seem to last well with few problems. I like the clio's but not sure i'd want an older one.

Also if i went for the 320 touring I'd have space for bikes, boards and the odd camping trip. I guess it would lack the thrilling drive of the clio, but as i say, we also have the mx5 which is good for short blasts.

As before BMW is focusing on fuel consumption, so they get better each year. The latest have the best fuel consumption, older ones are ok but not as good...

HOLA4416

It was certainly good enough I'd say. It would easily hold a 160-180 cruise on the A-bahn.

The only issue we really had with it was that the E9x 3 series is very low which might be a problem if you've got a bad back/knees or your Mrs doesn't want to flash her knickers every time she gets out.

HOLA4417

I recently had to hire a car. Got a 307 pug. think it was a 1.5 or 1.6 model.

I found it had good fuel economy and the bonus point is they also do a convertible model. It might be worth a look.

remember to check the road tax bracket cos anything fast is now expensive to tax unless its older than the year 2000.

Was so happy to get back in my fuel guzzeling audi tt though! I wouldn't swap it for anything.

HOLA4418

Depending on how much you want to spend the recent E90somethings with stop start and all the other guff, "efficient dynamics", have good economy figures, if you spend less on an E46 you shouldn't be expecting quite the same but diesel should still do over 40mpg in mixed driving. Also depending on the age, you'll get anything between 140 and 170hp so they're not all quite the same. And given the nature of the beast with these (v. common on fleet/business leases) you might be looking at something quite leggy. And I'm not thorougly convinced by their long term robustness as the engines are not without problems

And driving it should tick several boxes a FWD hot hatch couldn't even if it isn't quite as sparkling as something more focused. We haven't seen Rachman around these parts recently but I'm sure he'd recommend you a mk5 Golf GTI :D

HOLA4419
Guest Noodle

Depending on how much you want to spend the recent E90somethings with stop start and all the other guff, "efficient dynamics", have good economy figures, if you spend less on an E46 you shouldn't be expecting quite the same but diesel should still do over 40mpg in mixed driving. Also depending on the age, you'll get anything between 140 and 170hp so they're not all quite the same. And given the nature of the beast with these (v. common on fleet/business leases) you might be looking at something quite leggy. And I'm not thorougly convinced by their long term robustness as the engines are not without problems

And driving it should tick several boxes a FWD hot hatch couldn't even if it isn't quite as sparkling as something more focused. We haven't seen Rachman around these parts recently but I'm sure he'd recommend you a mk5 Golf GTI :D

A colleague had one of those on/off BMW's. Good idea.

HOLA4420

110 mph is fast enough.

88.2 mpg!!!

It takes 11.5 seconds to get to 60mph. That is SLOW, VERY SLOW. Top speed is mostly down to gearing and aerodynamics.

A car needs to be sub 7 seconds to be described as "fast", between 7 and 9 seconds is nippy, anything above 9 is slow.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I recently had to hire a car. Got a 307 pug. think it was a 1.5 or 1.6 model.

I found it had good fuel economy and the bonus point is they also do a convertible model. It might be worth a look.

remember to check the road tax bracket cos anything fast is now expensive to tax unless its older than the year 2000.

Was so happy to get back in my fuel guzzeling audi tt though! I wouldn't swap it for anything.

Would never have guessed you had an Audi TT.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Smart Roadster Brabus looks good on the OP's test.

Quite pricy to buy, so I guess depreciation would be a consideration.

Other half had a Smart (the four-two) and they aren't a good drive at all. Yes, they are pretty economical and very handy in town but if you like exciting driving they aren't it. The automatic is horrible but the semi-auto is a tad more bearable.This presumes that the roadster uses the same engine/gear box as the fourtwo. Also, the engines have a tendency to destroy themselves as they are quite highly stressed units.

Archived