House Price Crash Forum

Disturbing View On The Gulf Oil Spill

okaycuckoo

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Matt Simmons Tells Bloomberg Only Way To Contain Oil Leak Is With Small Nuclear Bombs, "Top Kill" Is Just A Distraction:

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/matt-simmons-tells-bloomberg-only-way-contain-oil-leak-small-nuclear-bombs-top-kill-just-dis

"Top Kill" is a sideshow and the real problem is 5 to 7 miles away, where a second fissure is "releasing a plume the size of Delaware and Maryland combined."

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I am afraid Maat Simmons is a banker not a petroleum Engineer - he is officially talking complete and utter ********...

The fact that a banker talks ******** should not surprise any one here.

BP has screwed up big time here but they are doing everything possible to fix it.... no expense spared.

Nuclear option is not entirely insane.... just not necessary... when the Russians did it they didn't have the directional drilling technology to intersect a well bore so they drilled close to the well inserted a bomb and blew it up success rate was 50%.

Today we can drill a relief well... it doesn't actually relieve the pressure like it sounds... it intersects the flowing well near the reservoir.... then you pump the flowing well full of heavy mud... then it stops flowing... then you pump it full of cement....

Piece of piss...only flaw is it takes 3 months.... hence all the top kill, junk shot efforts....

There are other ideas too which might work quicker but the only guaranteed way is the relief well.

HOLA448

I am afraid Maat Simmons is a banker not a petroleum Engineer - he is officially talking complete and utter ********...

The fact that a banker talks ******** should not surprise any one here.

BP has screwed up big time here but they are doing everything possible to fix it.... no expense spared.

Nuclear option is not entirely insane.... just not necessary... when the Russians did it they didn't have the directional drilling technology to intersect a well bore so they drilled close to the well inserted a bomb and blew it up success rate was 50%.

Today we can drill a relief well... it doesn't actually relieve the pressure like it sounds... it intersects the flowing well near the reservoir.... then you pump the flowing well full of heavy mud... then it stops flowing... then you pump it full of cement....

Piece of piss...only flaw is it takes 3 months.... hence all the top kill, junk shot efforts....

There are other ideas too which might work quicker but the only guaranteed way is the relief well.

I've hear it could take 9 months to drill the well.

Any views on his info that the riser leak is only a small part of what's going on and that there's a huge amount of oil not rising to the surface?

HOLA449

I've hear it could take 9 months to drill the well.

Any views on his info that the riser leak is only a small part of what's going on and that there's a huge amount of oil not rising to the surface?

Three months to drill the relief well... they are already halfway through the rock they have to drill through but it gets slower as you go deeper and then the last bit is precise directional drilling attempting to intersect the existing well that is blowing out.... tricky but within the technical capability of the industry but as you can imagine you do that last bit a bit slower and you have a shitload of heavy mud ready to pump into the well as soon as the two intersect....

They are drilling a second relief well as a backup...

Simmons is talking rubbish.... The only way oil is coming out of the reservoir is through the well and the three leaks they have identified are the only ones there are. He spouts on about the wellhead having been ripped off and attached to the rig that sank... the wellhead is the bit that the BOP is bolted too.... he is deeply confused.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

How do you know this?

Because its not physically possible for the oil to be leaking from anywhere else....

Think about it....

The oil can only be coming up the well....

The wellhead is intact - I've seen it and the BOP is bolted to it....

The riser which is bolted to the BOP is bent over right by the wellhead - there is a lot of oil coming out just there where the bending of the riser has created cracks...

Then the riser is pretty much intact until you get to the end of the riser - then there is a lot more oil coming out... and one pipe sticking out of the riser... which is the drill pipe.

Then you go to the end of the drill pipe - there was oil coming out of there but they screwed a valve in and closed in.... Cosmetic really because the oil then just came out of the other two holes.

There is nowhere else for the oil to come out of.

Simmons is a buffoon.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I mentioned the nuke option in off-topic yesterday and some pratt rubbished me. Russians have nukes before, several times, to close venting oil-wells.

The danger is making 'the hole' bigger.

You're not thinking this through.

Using a nuke (with no guarantee it would work) will put an end to nuclear test-ban treaties. Every nuclear wannabe nation will have 'oil leaks' every time it wants to test a weapon underground.

The Americans will not use nuclear devices to stop the leak. And BP don't have any as far as I know.

HOLA4421

You're not thinking this through.

Using a nuke (with no guarantee it would work) will put an end to nuclear test-ban treaties. Every nuclear wannabe nation will have 'oil leaks' every time it wants to test a weapon underground.

The Americans will not use nuclear devices to stop the leak. And BP don't have any as far as I know.

Good point and the pics posted are truely awful. I hope BP get taken to town on this as it's not the first time they have screwed up.

Archived