House Price Crash Forum

Andy Murray

ccc

HOLA441

If Tim Henman said 'anyone but Scotland' would he have been welcome in a Scottish tennis club?

Is he buying a round ? If so he will be clapped through the front door.

TBH I think its Alex Salmond that winds us up more than anyone. With Murray its not so much his Scottishness, more he seems a miserable tw*t. Was watching him sign autographs. Very minimum effort, no smiles, very economical. OK it was after a match and he would have been knackered and had to give media interviews.

As for the England 1966 stuff, I'm sick of it too, but its the media that endlessly harps on about past glories.

Salmond is truly despicable. His smugness makes me want to vomit. No matter what his political views are. He is Mr 'I want to be King of Scotland' and not much else IMO. As I have said numerous times - he is the very wrong man for the SNP to have any chance. They need to go for the middle 'maybe' voters to have a chance. Those on either edge have already made thier mind up - and Salmond makes most in the middle, in my experience anyway, want to slap him.

As for 1966 totally agree. However when you watch England on TV all you get is the media and their pish. It is very difficult to watch and listen to that and want anything but the team to lose. Just to shut them up !!

For info - latest Independence poll.

Scottish yes down to 30%

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Self evident? :blink:

You are letting your natural national bias take over there me thinks. <_<

Because any such anti-Scottish remarks would go un-reported in the media of course! Tbh, I've lived and worked with English, Irish and Welsh. Very rarely has there any friction between the nations. However at a national level, and because of the demographics this is understandable, there has always been an English bias. You can perhaps understand why we get ticked off when BBC Scotland spends so much time airing (and promoting!) English activities?

HOLA443

Is he buying a round ? If so he will be clapped through the front door.

Salmond is truly despicable. His smugness makes me want to vomit. No matter what his political views are. He is Mr 'I want to be King of Scotland' and not much else IMO. As I have said numerous times - he is the very wrong man for the SNP to have any chance. They need to go for the middle 'maybe' voters to have a chance. Those on either edge have already made thier mind up - and Salmond makes most in the middle, in my experience anyway, want to slap him.

As for 1966 totally agree. However when you watch England on TV all you get is the media and their pish. It is very difficult to watch and listen to that and want anything but the team to lose. Just to shut them up !!

For info - latest Independence poll.

Scottish yes down to 30%

I doubt Scottish politics will ever move on from English bashing. An anti-union party in England wouldn't get anywhere. Its not something we English think about, (OK we do a bit but only when Salmond comes on our screens). Take NI. A few years ago they were shooting and blowing each other up. Now they share power. Even Europe devastated by a World War, manages to "get on" with the Germans. The Scottish seem determined to keep fighting the Battle of Culloden, or rather its politicians do.

HOLA444

English activities?

Or would you rather the BBC promote Sheep Hurling, Tug O' War, Toss the Haggis, Toss the Caber, Whisky Run?*

*http://www.activitiesinscotland.com/activities/scottishthemeday.htm

Ha ha, brilliant! We've never been scared to laugh at ourselves :D

At the risk of contradicting myself, there was a program on the telly recently (Scotland only, of course) about the highland games. Beeb link There was a bit of fun had at the expense of games held in other countries, but overall a sensible look at a highland tradition.

Very interesting claims made that because the athletes taking part in the games won prizes, they were barred from Olympic games. Even though they were better than the Olympiads of the time. Of course, the Olympic teams at that time were full of mostly privileged public schoolboys.....

HOLA445

I doubt Scottish politics will ever move on from English bashing.

Where do you get this from? Scottish politics of late has been far removed from the attitudes of the 60 and 70's. We have no interest in English bashing at Holyrood, we just want to get on with Scottish business without UK interference.

• 2 months later...
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Well done Andy. For me it wasn't that he's British that I wanted him to win, more that he deserved it and is actually a damn good tennis player; less players than him have won slams and it's just unfortunate that he plays in the same era as three great others.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Archived