House Price Crash Forum

Does Doing The Right Thing Make You Happy?

Guest Dizzy Rash Call

HOLA441
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest Dizzy Rash Call
Cheating on your missus will not make you happy when she finds out.

Best not do it.

No, I would/could never do that.

Many people do however, a short term happy fix...

A bottle of wine, a short term happy fix...

HOLA449
HOLA4410
You only have one life , and it is miserably short! there is probably no god, no afterlife, no virgins waiting and no reincarnation...so do'nt be a knob, enjoy it, do not be at the behest of others for bits of paper, love your family and bring joy to others....and maybe you will die happy!

Everybody should have that on their fridge or the dash of their car.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
What's important doing the right thing or being happy?

Doing the right thing makes you happy..... that sounds a bit brain-washy doesn't it.... :rolleyes:

Still, I believe that Humans instinctively know what is right..... and wrong. Doing right is satisfying.... doing wrong is stressful.... take your pick.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
How do they get all those virgins to wait happily in the afterlife?

Don't they get bored? Or feel "exploited"?

Maybe some wrong-doers will have to come back as a "waiting virgin"

Perhaps we could end Moslem terrorism, if we could convince would-be bombers that they will

come back as waiting virgins.

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4415

You should always do the right thing according to your own moral code, to do otherwise creates cognitive dissonance, which will make you either want to change your moral schema or your behaviour...cognitive dissonance makes unhappiness.

The problem comes when you need to decide between two hard choices, at that point I suggest plugging your ears with your fingers and saying 'la la la' repeatedly until the issue goies away. That way you've done something creative about the problem.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The question is fairly irrelevant since everybody "does the right thing" pretty much all the time. In their own eyes, that is. It is a simple matter of self-justification to make any course of action appear right.

Would it be right to beat this old lady up to get her purse? Well, the fact is, I've got obligations. Business acquaintances who are relying on me. Letting them down would not only be dangerous, it would be morally wrong. This woman's rich, anyway, I've seen where she lives. She can afford it. If anything's morally wrong it's her getting to live in a great big place like that while I can't afford a place of my own. And from what I've seen of her she's a malicious so-and-so, always making life difficult for the rest of us... it would be a public service to bring her down a peg.

Clearly the right choice is to land a punch or two.

HOLA4418
The question is fairly irrelevant since everybody "does the right thing" pretty much all the time. In their own eyes, that is. It is a simple matter of self-justification to make any course of action appear right.

Would it be right to beat this old lady up to get her purse? Well, the fact is, I've got obligations. Business acquaintances who are relying on me. Letting them down would not only be dangerous, it would be morally wrong. This woman's rich, anyway, I've seen where she lives. She can afford it. If anything's morally wrong it's her getting to live in a great big place like that while I can't afford a place of my own. And from what I've seen of her she's a malicious so-and-so, always making life difficult for the rest of us... it would be a public service to bring her down a peg.

Some people are more morally flexible than others. Common criminals, polititians...anybody who seeks power over anyone else...

HOLA4419

I had the opportunity of buying a repo earlier this year at about 20% off 'market value'. Problem was, all the stuff the previous owners left behind, you know, kids toys, the odd personal possession, shopping lists on the kitchen notice board. I went away and thought about it and when it came to the crunch, the thought of living in that house and gaining financially from someone elses misery just didn't do it for me. Might have been a dumb decision financially, but I could not see myself being happy there. Whether not buying it was a good thing morally, I don't know, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

HOLA4420
I had the opportunity of buying a repo earlier this year at about 20% off 'market value'. Problem was, all the stuff the previous owners left behind, you know, kids toys, the odd personal possession, shopping lists on the kitchen notice board. I went away and thought about it and when it came to the crunch, the thought of living in that house and gaining financially from someone elses misery just didn't do it for me. Might have been a dumb decision financially, but I could not see myself being happy there. Whether not buying it was a good thing morally, I don't know, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

<_<

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

An extreme example, but pretty much how many / most people operate imo. Also applies in a wealthier and entirely legal millieu.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

A non dilema if you think it through. Leave it for the price to drop, and the repossed are loaded with a debt to carry around to boot.

A better example might be cheap clothing produced by children / virtual slaves. We ALL benefit from others misery in this country, probably due to a vastly overvalued currency. Over decades, I am sure this will change.

HOLA4425

I spent my whole life doing the "right" thing. Served in the military, done community service, went to Uni, stood up for those weaker than me.

Anyways I did the right thing and asked for very little in return. Being unable to buy a house for my family because speculators want to rape me financially makes me VERY angry. The social contract is broken and there is NO way I'm going back to being community minded.

Example. I don't give a flying firetruck about litter. If I'm finished with something I throw that fooker away in the most convenient way to me. If that means I check my rear vision mirror for cops and failing to see them I throw my rubbish out the window then so be it. Recently I dumped a whole stack of rubbish on the footpath near my rented flat.

Another example. Every opportunity I get I make sure I take take take from the community. When this one is broke I'll move on leaving my landlord with a wasteland.

And I haven't even started being aggressive about it. Well passive aggressive ;)

I have NO skin in my community. I've been used and exploited now I'm just fitting in. Society has made it clear. It's exploit, lie, cheat, steal, abuse your fellow man to get ahead

I'm mostly angry that I've been a dumb bunny and held my fellow man in high regard despite repeated evidence to the contrary.

That being said I'm noticing that people are becoming increasingly hostile. I put it down to conflict over (artificially) scarce resources. Actually that's why I'm a cranky stunt as well.

Archived