House Price Crash Forum

Morrisons Horseradish Sauce

HOLA441
Do you really believe all that nonsense? You ancestors scoffed down buckets of the stuff, even paid quite a bit of money for it, and you're still here.

p-o-p

I don't have a clue what you're talking about now but can one of you tell me if coke does anything useful for stringy meat?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
I don't have a clue what you're talking about now but can one of you tell me if coke does anything useful for stringy meat?

It does the same to meat as it achieves in your guts: rots 'em!

Try leaving a piece of thick tanned leather (Bit of an old belt e.g.) in coke overnight.

By morning it has been partially digested. And anyone who really wants to drink such gunk has little respect for their vital workings!

Ham is of course cured pork: so needs to be left in soak overnight to leach out the salt: and the saltpetre if wet cure.

We prepare our gammon and smoked bacon joints after an overnight soak by simply washing and then simmering in a little water, vinegar, bay leaves, peppercorns, honey and a few garlic cloves. Cinnamon sticks and other spices optional.

Then the joint is left again overnight to suck up liquor which makes it moist: and keeps it from drying out too quickly.

The only beef which would be cooked like a cured pork joint is Salt Beef: since this has been cured in the same way as gammon/bacon joints: steeped in salt and saltpetre solution.

Salt beef is then boiled just like ham; mainly served hot.

On decent rye bread with mustard and a dill pickle on the side a very toothsome sandwich!

Very Jewish delli and very Big Apple of course.

HOLA446
The only beef which would be cooked like a cured pork joint is Salt Beef: since this has been cured in the same way as gammon/bacon joints: steeped in salt and saltpetre solution.

Salt beef is then boiled just like ham; mainly served hot.

On decent rye bread with mustard and a dill pickle on the side a very toothsome sandwich!

Very Jewish delli and very Big Apple of course.

Ahhhh, tonight i will mostly be going to the brick lane bagel shop

homer_drool.gif

And thanks for the comprehensive answer

HOLA447
By morning it has been partially digested. And anyone who really wants to drink such gunk has little respect for their vital workings!

You do know what breaks down food in our stomachs don't you?

HOLA448
:blink: what, coke-cola? Not coal coke or bolivian marching powder i presume. That's a new one on me, does it soften chewy meat or somat? What effect on the flavour? Not sure it wounds very nice.

I think it acts as a marinade and helps soften the meat. Cooking in fruit juices is a traditional method so cola is just a variation on that.

Seasoning the meat with Columbia's finest - now there's a thought.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
You do know what breaks down food in our stomachs don't you?

Well, starting with the reality that proper digestion and breaking down food starts in the mouth, the main stomach digestive acid is Hydrochloric.

Coke and any other carbonated beverage has amongst other rather nasty substances, Carbonic Acid in its mix.

HOLA4411
I had a fun conversation with a half-wit working in Tescos a few weeks ago when I was trying to determine what "Brown Sauce" actually was. It went something like this:

<Me> What's Brown Sauce? Is that what you call BBQ sauce?

<Half-wit> It's Brown Sauce innit.

<Me> Thanks Einstein. What flavour is the sauce though?

<Half-wit> It's sauce. Like Ketchup innit.

<Me> What, made with brown tomatoes? *raises eyebrow*

<Half-wit> Yeh Brown Sauce is like Ketchup

<Me> Sounds delicious. Think I'll pass.

You don't know what Brown sauce is, so what right have you to call him a half wit. If fact, your questions were pretty dumb, its not his job to tell you what food tastes like, Tesco's isn't a restaurant.

HOLA4412
I think it acts as a marinade and helps soften the meat. Cooking in fruit juices is a traditional method so cola is just a variation on that.

Seasoning the meat with Columbia's finest - now there's a thought.

The two best marinades for my wife and I when we cook meat are red wine; and vinegar.

Both break down the fibrous tissue and tenderise the meat as well as imparting various flavours into the tissue.

Powdered ginger also breaks down meat; particularly chicken: and this is how I prepare Dupiaza, ideally leaving the chicken sections well seasoned with powdered ginger over night in the 'fridge.

However if meat really needs much tenderising, then it's time to seek out another butcher!

The main purpose of our marinades is to carry essentially desired flavours into the meat.

HOLA4413
Ahhhh, tonight i will mostly be going to the brick lane bagel shop

Are there any Kosher dellis still in Brick Lane?

Used to go there for Chelsea Boots back in the insane 60s! Couple of real cobblers used to make them to order.

The area around Wentworth Street was awash with fantastic dellis and food shops including perhaps the best baker of them all not far away, Kossovs: jam doughnuts to cry over.

My wife still works in the City and here and there a group of her colleagues go to a fabulous Indian place for demon curries in Brick Lane.

She eulogises about their yoghurt drink.

And thanks for the comprehensive answer

Pleasure: always very happy to discuss food and cooking info and to share stuff and learn.

It's a constant process.

HOLA4414
Morrisons own brand horseradish sauce has gone down hill of late. Far too bitter and seems rather like the rubbish I got from Lidl a while back.

You too eh. We noticed this at Christmas.

Two identical jars, one rather mild, one unpleasantly (dangerously?) hot.

I think there is something up with their quality control.

HOLA4415
I had a fun conversation with a half-wit working in Tescos a few weeks ago when I was trying to determine what "Brown Sauce" actually was. It went something like this:

Yes...what a half-wit. He didn't know what brown sauce actually was. But neither did you. Half-wit

HOLA4416
Are there any Kosher dellis still in Brick Lane?

Used to go there for Chelsea Boots back in the insane 60s! Couple of real cobblers used to make them to order.

The area around Wentworth Street was awash with fantastic dellis and food shops including perhaps the best baker of them all not far away, Kossovs: jam doughnuts to cry over.

My wife still works in the City and here and there a group of her colleagues go to a fabulous Indian place for demon curries in Brick Lane.

She eulogises about their yoghurt drink.

Don't know if they are kosher or dellis but there are 2 bagel shops at the north end of Brick Lane, 24hour and salt beef sandwiches, proper big chunks of beef, very tasty, still with bits of fat on, also cream cheese and salmon bagels for the ladies ;)

If she likes the yoghurt drink (lassi?) she might like the set curds you can get in the indian sweet shops, delicious! Better get yourselves down for a sunday market stroll some time!

What is the restaurant your wife goes to?

HOLA4417
Don't know if they are kosher or dellis but there are 2 bagel shops at the north end of Brick Lane, 24hour and salt beef sandwiches, proper big chunks of beef, very tasty, still with bits of fat on, also cream cheese and salmon bagels for the ladies ;)

If she likes the yoghurt drink (lassi?) she might like the set curds you can get in the indian sweet shops, delicious! Better get yourselves down for a sunday market stroll some time!

What is the restaurant your wife goes to?

You will quickly realise why I do not let my wife navigate!

Apparently the place she likkes is called Tayyabs and it is in Fieldgate Street, not Brick Lane.

And you are right: it is Lassi and her favourite is Mango Lassi.

We used to sometimes go up to Borough Market for the day: meet friends and have a meal in the evening.

It became very expensive though.

When we are staying at our French house we have some fabulous local markets on Thursdays and Saturdays.

So we indulge there for much less: and loads of choices for food afterwards too.

HOLA4418

I have never tasted Horseradish sauce even when i lived in the uk a long time ago and i have never seen it here in the supermarkets in France although to be honest i have never looked for it

I though that "horseradish" is a planet with a bitter taste used in herbal medicine for the digestive system and an anti-cough medicine as well as a stimulant

Didn't know that you could put it on your Sunday dinners

Good to learn something new everyday

l

HOLA4419
I have never tasted Horseradish sauce even when i lived in the uk a long time ago and i have never seen it here in the supermarkets in France although to be honest i have never looked for it

I though that "horseradish" is a planet with a bitter taste used in herbal medicine for the digestive system and an anti-cough medicine as well as a stimulant

Didn't know that you could put it on your Sunday dinners

Good to learn something new everyday

l

Are you British man?!

HOLA4420

We've noticed that a jar that is hot when opened gets milder over time.

The differences could be due to the length of time since it was produced. They probably harvest and manufacture a years worth of horseradish, and then it sits in the warehouse. It may just be that you've been on the cusp between one years harvest and the next.

Anyway, if you get any more 'unpleasantly hot' jars send them my way. At our house horseradish is no good unless it clears your sinuses!

HOLA4421

Maybe you got the two different types they do....normal and the hot one? The problem I found was that it had an unusually bitter taste to it which I didn't like and which I hadn't tasted before except in the Lidl one. Actually, I remember getting another type of sauce from them (I forget which) which had a similar taste so I think it may be some additive they are starting to use.

HOLA4422

You sound like a pleasant enough fellow. maybe a three quarter wit

HOLA4423

Personally, I don't mind sporting out for certain decent products where quality, taste and reliability are important: and after all, how much horseradish sauce can one person eat with one meal?

This company's products are excellent.

http://www.englishprovender.co.uk/

And furthermore, their "Lazy" range are very good and useful if you are cooking.

This is also an excellent brand and reliable too.

http://www.epicure.co.uk/products/condiments/

As with all things, you pays your money and you takes your choice.........

HOLA4424

Prescience: I pot roast, but not on the hob! I bung it in the oven so things can't catch on the bottom of the pot...

My top tip for pot roast leftovers would be to shove it all back in the pot, with some extra flavours, and a handful of barley, leave it to cook for ages again - and make it into a really thick stew/soup - really warming and a true comfort food! In fact barley added to the pot when braising the brisket is a winner too - saves dealing with potatoes, and the barley absorbs all the flavours in the pot.

As for brown sauce - in case Bugg really doesn't know what's in Brown Sauce - I believe it's basically vinegar, brown sugar, dates and lots of spices to give it a kick. It's very tasty, and great with meats, and if you ever wind up eating a cheap sausage then it serves well to disguise the taste...

I too use Nigella's Ham in Cherry coke recipe - it tastes great, and makes several meals as well as sandwiches etc - although I confess that unless I'm making it for company, and I want to be able to slice it nicely, then I'll buy the shoulder rather than the leg - it's considerably cheaper, has a bit more fat inside, so doesn't slice as well, but is very moist...

A Prescience says, it's only cured meats that use use this boiling method with - so only salt beef - and that doesn't really need any flavouring, and it's not traditional to put a glaze on it...

However! The while the marinading process does tenderise the meat - the real reason for the cherry coke is to impart the flavour - with beef, you could try Beef in Ale/Guinness, try pork with cider or apple juice, and a few bits of apple thrown in (and a dollop of mustard and a splash of cream at the end would be good too...), or pork and prunes is pretty tasty... If you want a quick marinade, then try pineapple juice with some ginger in (but not for too long - it does break down the meat!) or lemon and grated onion, or lime juice and some sweet chilli sauce mixed together (again - not for too long - as the lime will start to "cook" the meat!)

HOLA4425
Prescience: I pot roast, but not on the hob! I bung it in the oven so things can't catch on the bottom of the pot...

Ah! That's what thick bottomed pans and diffusers are for!

We made the, considerable, investment a few years ago, of french Stainless steel pots and pans from Nesbitts.

And also sported out on decent French cast iron casseroles and frying pans.

But I agree, of course. Pot Roast or indeed most things, in a sealed pot or casserole can be cooked in oven or on a ring.

I use casseroles quite a bit: as I can bung them into the oven and then go back to the office and carry on working.

Archived