House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morrisons Horseradish Sauce

Morrisons own brand horseradish sauce has gone down hill of late. Far too bitter and seems rather like the rubbish I got from Lidl a while back.

Morrisons own brand horseradish sauce has gone down hill of late. Far too bitter and seems rather like the rubbish I got from Lidl a while back.

Handy tip, there.

But can anyone afford the joints of beef that it goes with anymore? The price of decent cuts of meat takes your breath away.

Handy tip, there.

But can anyone afford the joints of beef that it goes with anymore? The price of decent cuts of meat takes your breath away.

Rib of beef, fifteen quid something reduced to just over seven.

Doesn't all Morrison own label stuff taste like shite? It's intended for chavscum, always been awfully poor quality.

Doesn't all Morrison own label stuff taste like shite? It's intended for chavscum, always been awfully poor quality.

I really can't believe chavs would use horseradish sauce, unless of course they think it mkaes a kebab more upmarket

Aldi horseradish is passable.

Try mixing this withg tuna for a rather wonderful sandwich filler.

Or horseradish on smoked mackeral: lovely!

Mustard is one of the core condiments since if bought in the powder form (The only way we buy it apart from decent wholegrain and Dijon in France of course), it adds a zing to many dishes when cooking.

Such as it is essential for cheese onion and potato quiche.

And Welsh Rarebit of course.

Horseradish sauce is great but is very variable in quality. I have had good and bad from the same supplier.

I think it's still a wild-gathered crop so that woudl explain its variability.

Horseradish sauce is great but is very variable in quality. I have had good and bad from the same supplier.

I think it's still a wild-gathered crop so that woudl explain its variability.

When I was a kid my parents used to dig horseradish out of the cliffs and make their own.I presume it's a plant that has a preference for sandy soil.You grate it up and mix it with cream I think.

Handy tip, there.

A nice bit of brisket - it's not a "decent" cut, but you can bung it in the oven, in the gravy you're going to serve it with (and the veggies too, if you want an easy life...), and forget about it all morning while you go off and do something more interesting than basting a joint of beef, and come back to a great tasting meal - and it's really very cheap - you just have to pay with time, not money.

A nice bit of brisket - it's not a "decent" cut, but you can bung it in the oven, in the gravy you're going to serve it with (and the veggies too, if you want an easy life...), and forget about it all morning while you go off and do something more interesting than basting a joint of beef, and come back to a great tasting meal - and it's really very cheap - you just have to pay with time, not money.

Better yet, pot roast it.

Into a deep pot with a couple of Oxo cubes and about one inch max of water.

Place veggies such as carrots and parsnips around the side and place on a low heat. Smack the lid on and hold down with a weight.

Our favourite joint and many butcher's too! The thing is brisket has fat: and meat without any has zero taste; but with pot roasting the fat slides out; and the liquor makes the most wonderful gravy with a dash of red wine added.............

We buy whole rolled briskets from Makro: and I cut them into three: top-middle- and bottom brisket and into the freezer they go.

Superb too for cold beef; like beef sarnies with decent butter and hot horseradish.

For this we tend to only buy such as Frank Coopers from Waitrose.

English Provender condiments are excellent too.

Guest X-QUORK
Far too bitter and seems rather like the rubbish I got from Lidl a while back.

Congratulations on raising this thread, it has the perfect blend of information, fun and blandness to make the perfect Off-Topic subject matter IMO.

A word of warning though, admitting that something from Lidl or Aldi is actually shit is HPC heresey.

Congratulations on raising this thread, it has the perfect blend of information, fun and blandness to make the perfect Off-Topic subject matter IMO.

A word of warning though, admitting that something from Lidl or Aldi is actually shit is HPC heresey.

I was just about to post something about watching an american put copious amounts of english mustard on a hotdog but you've somehow taken away the magic of this thread. We all knew it was something special but you know, some things are best left unsaid.

I had a fun conversation with a half-wit working in Tescos a few weeks ago when I was trying to determine what "Brown Sauce" actually was. It went something like this:

<Me> What's Brown Sauce? Is that what you call BBQ sauce?

<Half-wit> It's Brown Sauce innit.

<Me> Thanks Einstein. What flavour is the sauce though?

<Half-wit> It's sauce. Like Ketchup innit.

<Me> What, made with brown tomatoes? *raises eyebrow*

<Half-wit> Yeh Brown Sauce is like Ketchup

<Me> Sounds delicious. Think I'll pass.

I had a fun conversation with a half-wit working in Tescos a few weeks ago when I was trying to determine what "Brown Sauce" actually was. It went something like this:

<Me> What's Brown Sauce? Is that what you call BBQ sauce?

<Half-wit> It's Brown Sauce innit.

<Me> Thanks Einstein. What flavour is the sauce though?

<Half-wit> It's sauce. Like Ketchup innit.

<Me> What, made with brown tomatoes? *raises eyebrow*

<Half-wit> Yeh Brown Sauce is like Ketchup

<Me> Sounds delicious. Think I'll pass.

This guy was actually giving you sound advice.

Guest X-QUORK
I was just about to post something about watching an american put copious amounts of english mustard on a hotdog but you've somehow taken away the magic of this thread. We all knew it was something special but you know, some things are best left unsaid.

What have I done now? Talk about walking on egg shells. :rolleyes:

Better yet, pot roast it.

Into a deep pot with a couple of Oxo cubes and about one inch max of water.

Place veggies such as carrots and parsnips around the side and place on a low heat. Smack the lid on and hold down with a weight.

Our favourite joint and many butcher's too! The thing is brisket has fat: and meat without any has zero taste; but with pot roasting the fat slides out; and the liquor makes the most wonderful gravy with a dash of red wine added.............

We buy whole rolled briskets from Makro: and I cut them into three: top-middle- and bottom brisket and into the freezer they go.

Superb too for cold beef; like beef sarnies with decent butter and hot horseradish.

For this we tend to only buy such as Frank Coopers from Waitrose.

English Provender condiments are excellent too.

I like pot roast brisket too. Mixing ancient and modern, like the hymn book is interesting. Mrs p-o-p has recently taken to boiling hams in coke. It works a treat and saves a day. We're toying with trying the same with a cheap cut of beef to see how that works. Anybody tried this?

p-o-p

I like pot roast brisket too. Mixing ancient and modern, like the hymn book is interesting. Mrs p-o-p has recently taken to boiling hams in coke. It works a treat and saves a day. We're toying with trying the same with a cheap cut of beef to see how that works. Anybody tried this?

p-o-p

:blink: what, coke-cola? Not coal coke or bolivian marching powder i presume. That's a new one on me, does it soften chewy meat or somat? What effect on the flavour? Not sure it wounds very nice.

:blink: what, coke-cola? Not coal coke or bolivian marching powder i presume. That's a new one on me, does it soften chewy meat or somat? What effect on the flavour? Not sure it wounds very nice.

Ms Curvy Lawson (the one where the wife looks at the recipe whilst you are looking at the curves) swears by it - see http://www.nigella.com/recipe/recipe_detail.aspx?rid=253

p-o-p

With 55mg of salt in a can of coke, it's the perfect seasoning :blink:

With 55mg of salt in a can of coke, it's the perfect seasoning :blink:

Do you really believe all that nonsense? You ancestors scoffed down buckets of the stuff, even paid quite a bit of money for it, and you're still here.

p-o-p