• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
I thought BTL was supposed to be a winner? Everyone told me so and prices always go up and interest rates are low innit. LOL at starting a BTL portfolio before you even have a home for yourself!!!

How many more out there like this.

Link

'Just trying to make a better life for myself'.

Indeed. A better life for her, based on profits from speculation in real estate, predicated on ever-increasing prices and without a jot of care for those priced out.

I hope she feels the pain enough to never bother again.

Interesting also to note the percentage hit she has taken on both places. Still, I s'pose they're both sh1tholes that only the desperate would ever want to inhabit. Worth 40K in two years' time. Shame.

HOLA446
I have two houses that I rent out - both in negative equity.

1) House 1 bought three years ago for £125.000 - now valued at 95k. Mortgage 1 - £113,000, interest only.

2House 2 bought two years ago for £138,000 - now valued at 95k. Mortage on this one £124k, interest only.

I pay about £250 each month to cover rent shortfall, because of agency fees. With insurance, sorting out problems boilers etc, never ending problems that I have to pay out for - I really am at my wits end.

I NEED to get rid of them - I can't shift them, and I don't have enough savings to make up the shortfall,

Now, I can afford to pay the difference out of my salary each month, but I am literally flushing money down the drain, as they are interest only mortgages.

I want to save up for my own place, I know I made a massive mistake buying them at the wrong time, but I just can't face years of paying interest on them 'hoping and waiting' for them to go up in value.

:lol: safe to say she didn't see it coming ,

I bet 2 years ago she really fancied herself as 'property invester'....and now , today fully exposed as a amateur and mug.

HOLA447
:lol: safe to say she didn't see it coming ,

I bet 2 years ago she really fancied herself as 'property invester'....and now , today fully exposed as a amateur and mug.

you mean 'pwoperdie inwestooooooor - and better than yow'

get it right

HOLA448

Thread last year from the same girl:

Can't sell, feel sick

My house has been up for sale for 3 months now. Reduced from £140,000 to £120,000 it just won't shift.

It has tenants in it and they are lovely, but I've had no viewings, I really don't know what to do, no viewings. it's on with 2 agents and I'm selling it for less than I apid for it three years ago.

It's not the most modern house in the world and could do with a new kitchen etc but I can't afford to do that and have reduced the price accordingly.

My mortgage payments have gone up to SVR £236 increase a month (which isn't covered by the tenants) and I can't re-mortgage cos then I'll be tied in to another fixed rate.

I am paying £689 in mortgage payments a month and stupidly have come off a 2 year fixed rate on interest only, so i've paid NOTHING off the house, since I bought it two years ago.

I might as well flush the money down the toilet. My tenants rent isn't covering the mortgage so i'm having to put £189 from my salary each month for the interest only payments.

On top of that, boiler is broken and I am hoping and praying that nothing else goes wrong. I'm at my wits ends guys.

Its awful, my heart goes out to anyone else in the same situation

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Why do people enjoy watching other people suffer? Is it only in this country where misfortune and hard times are embraced?

This individual has tried to make a commercial decision and make some profit. He/she has attempted to invest in something tangible and long-term.

They have not murdered anyone or committed a crime. They merely invested in something. Granted, the timing has been unlucky but why demonize and sneer from a distance?

It troubles me to see that someone struggling can be the subject of ridicule. I do not understand why there is such vitriol and hostility towards those who have purchased as investment so as to prepare for their futures.

If those of you who are waiting for prices to collapse to the extent that you buy, would you then be dissatisfied if prices rocketed?

Would you refuse the proceeds of sale on principle?

HOLA4411

If I bought, I wouldn't give a shit if prices rose or fell - I'd have an affordable house, which I would use to live in. That's all I care about. All I want is a house, without getting into a lifetime of heavy debt. Of course, the Bulls here don't care two tosses if people are subscribed to a lifetime of 60+ workweeks just to pay for a shitty 2bed terrace.

People who ruin their own lives trying to speculate in homes, causing vast numbers of young people hardship via hugely inflated prices, get no sympathy from me.

While I don't laugh at her misfortune, I offer no shoulder to cry on. She dug her own grave.

I'm sure back when the Tulip bubble was at it's peak, nobody was heartbroken for the "investor" who put all of his wealth into Tulips at the peak of the bubble. (I'd have gone into a certain kind of poppy, myself...)

HOLA4412
Why do people enjoy watching other people suffer? Is it only in this country where misfortune and hard times are embraced?

This individual has tried to make a commercial decision and make some profit. He/she has attempted to invest in something tangible and long-term.

They have not murdered anyone or committed a crime. They merely invested in something. Granted, the timing has been unlucky but why demonize and sneer from a distance?

It troubles me to see that someone struggling can be the subject of ridicule. I do not understand why there is such vitriol and hostility towards those who have purchased as investment so as to prepare for their futures.

If those of you who are waiting for prices to collapse to the extent that you buy, would you then be dissatisfied if prices rocketed?

She has gambled and lost she they could not afford to lose.

I have lost 90% of my investment on shares in two companies, but it was money I could afford to lose.

I didn't bellyache on a public forum about my loss. It was my fault, I could have sold out on the way down but didn't. My fault, I lost the money, no appeal for sympathy or "what should I do?". I am an adult, oh dear I lost, how sad, never mind.

She gambled, she lost. And she was part of the property bubble that meant many could not afford to buy. No sympathy whatsoever.

HOLA4413

Because she it's get-rich-quick spivvery.

There's no dream other than being rich for being rich's sake.

Just slightly further up the tree from the Big Brother twerp contestant that wants to be a celebrity for the sake of being a celebrity.

I have no special feeling of ill-will towards them but they must not be allowed to just hand the keys back and should swallow the medicine of aan IVA or bankruptcy the same as anyone who starts a restaurant, pub or other business that doesn't pan out (which incidentally is much more laudable).

HOLA4414

Its very simple, some people want to force costs onto others though house price rises and those on the receiving end want to see their landlords get ripped apart financially. The relationship is based on financial abuse to don't expect to see renters shed a tear when their masters go bankrupt.

HOLA4415

get out of here, this could hardly be called a reasonable, sensible investment. She has no assets herself so decides to take a punt on the most highly leveraged asset she was able to get her hands on at the top of a market where proverbial shoe shine boys were telling everyone to get into it, and not content to be a bit of a feckwit, she actually managed to do it twice. And her first idea on a solution is to pass it to the taxpayer via default in all likeliness, and to top it all off she works in finance. I mean give me strength

HOLA4416

I am actually tempted to post a link to this thread on that MSE thread, just for her reading pleasure.

Might open her eyes a bit :lol: unless this hurts as much as possible for her, there is a risk of her doing it again in the next asset bubble

is that allowed?

Edited by codeine

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
What is more staggering is that someone lent the money to buy the houses in the first place.

Absolutely.

The reason I do have some sympathy for people who bought at the peak on 5x mortgages (at least who bought to live in rather than BTL) is that there is some kind of logic that "it must be OK if they give me the money".

When I buy a car, a medicine or a TV from a reputable source (like Honda, GSK or Sony) I assume from the brand name that it's going to work. But these people got loans from institutions like Halifax, Bradford & Bingley, Northern Rock which in 2006 were top brands - and yet they turned out to be dangerous.

We can't all be experts in everything, sometimes you have to put your trust in others, be they a car-maker, a doctor or a banker. The public have been let down by the mortgage lenders.

HOLA4419
Absolutely.

The reason I do have some sympathy for people who bought at the peak on 5x mortgages (at least who bought to live in rather than BTL) is that there is some kind of logic that "it must be OK if they give me the money".

When I buy a car, a medicine or a TV from a reputable source (like Honda, GSK or Sony) I assume from the brand name that it's going to work. But these people got loans from institutions like Halifax, Bradford & Bingley, Northern Rock which in 2006 were top brands - and yet they turned out to be dangerous.

We can't all be experts in everything, sometimes you have to put your trust in others, be they a car-maker, a doctor or a banker. The public have been let down by the mortgage lenders.

There's certainly some culpability amongst surveyors and valuers and it is true to say the lenders must have believed the investment was safe when they originated the loan.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Absolutely. The conversation should go like this.

Bank: Hello

Investor: I would like to invest in property. Can you lend me some money to do so?

Bank: How do you plan to repay the money?

Investor: Repay! No idea.

Bank: Goodbye.

HOLA4422

I have a certain sympathy with anyone finding they hold losses because of the property market and that includes the millions of productive people who found themselves systematically gouged by an economy which had pathologically over-ballanced so that all productive surpluses ended up in the price of real estate. However the fact that dilutes my sympathy here is that those presently who climb aboard real estate to make profits are trying to make profits by increasing scarcity (raising costs) for others

HOLA4423

You gotta admit, it is bloody funny. :unsure::lol::o

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Absolutely. The conversation should go like this.

Bank: Hello

Investor: I would like to invest in property. Can you lend me some money to do so?

Bank: How do you plan to repay the money?

Investor: Repay! No idea.

Bank: Goodbye.

Exactly.

The rent doesn't even cover the interest :rolleyes:

No sympathy. Although someone so stupid might deserve some sympathy on medical grounds :unsure: