House Price Crash Forum

Private Number Plates

HOLA441
I agree, along with double-barreling of surnames like Sandra Smith-Brown.

The height of vulgarity.

Depends on the names really. If you're DBing Smith, Jones, Brown, Walker or any pair of common names together then it doesn't look so good, but if you've got a slightly unusual surname that you don't want to disappear into the mists of time when you get marrried, then there's nothing wrong with double-barrelling. It's not always about pretending to be posher than one is.

I guess it comes down to personal choice, and avoiding being as grey and dull as the rest of the world. Likewise with buying a nice car or a nice watch or Hi-Fi. The problem comes when people use these items as investments, not as personal items, which is all they are. They only have value to someone who wants them enough to pay that much for them.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest X-QUORK
Depends on the names really. If you're DBing Smith, Jones, Brown, Walker or any pair of common names together then it doesn't look so good, but if you've got a slightly unusual surname that you don't want to disappear into the mists of time when you get marrried, then there's nothing wrong with double-barrelling. It's not always about pretending to be posher than one is.

IMO, double-barrelling is only acceptable if:

1. You can trace your family history back to Norman times.

2. You were brought up by a Nanny.

3. You personally know a Royal.

Anyone else is just trying to be posh.

Whilst we're at it, people who call themselves by their first two initials and surname i.e. AA Gill. Pretentious tw@ts.

HOLA443
Whilst we're at it, people who call themselves by their first two initials and surname i.e. AA Gill. Pretentious tw@ts.

Good point. We need a list of these people. I'll pitch in with JK Rowling. Oh, and WH Smith.

Edited by Scunnered

HOLA444
Guest theboltonfury
Good point. We need a list of these people. I'll pitch in with JK Rowling. Oh, and WH Smith.

William G Stewart

WG Grace

Edited by theboltonfury

HOLA445
Guest X-QUORK

CS Forester

AC Grayling

PG Wodehouse

There are loads more I can't remember right now...it seems to be a Literati thing.

HOLA446
HOLA447
IMO, double-barrelling is only acceptable if:

1. You can trace your family history back to Norman times.

2. You were brought up by a Nanny.

3. You personally know a Royal.

Anyone else is just trying to be posh.

Everyone else must ensure that they stay plebs, coz that's they way they were born. Oh, and make sure you drop your Ts and Hs from words - they're only for Royalty too.

HOLA448
Guest X-QUORK
Everyone else must ensure that they stay plebs, coz that's they way they were born. Oh, and make sure you drop your Ts and Hs from words - they're only for Royalty too.

There is some middle ground between being blue blooded and a dung-eating peasant.

HOLA449
Guest theboltonfury
HP Sauce

MI 5

WD 40.

Edit. Ooh! Ooh! TJ Hooker.

J R R Tolkein must have had a particularly high opinion of himself

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest theboltonfury
He probably didn't want to be mistaken for J R A Tolkien, J R B Tolkien and all the rest.

Apparantly AA Gill insists on being called AA and corrects you if you don't.

Self appointed nicknames are good and I'm sure accompanied by a private reg. I'd like to meet Bono and only refer to him as Paul.

HOLA4412
Apparantly AA Gill insists on being called AA and corrects you if you don't.

Self appointed nicknames are good and I'm sure accompanied by a private reg. I'd like to meet Bono and only refer to him as Paul.

He was not called that when we met him... he was in our college bar giving it the big I am - he was told in no uncertain terms that he was not entitled to a tankard, that he was not in fact entitled to be served and if he did not like it, he should just sod off. He was being a right tool (and banging our college yoyo knickers (who had run out of rugby and football team to go through (he MUST have caught something off her.....)).

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
I was behind a car yesterday with a number plate beginning KN09, which aside from making me think...he must be the chap who bought a new car this year ( :lol: )...I also thought that if there are KN09s on the road there must also be many KN08s on the road.

Now there is a plate that could be personalised to many drivers!

Has anyone seen one?

(for those who don't get it, there is usually at least one, for '8' read 'B')

Yes,passed a lad on a moped riding one,I did remark on it at the time.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Private number plates are funny... A mate found one he wanted to buy, but was too late..

G16GLES

I thought that was pretty cool...

In a few years, when I've a house - I wouldn't mind paying a modest price to get a bespoke number plate... but for entirely different reasons. I want no information leak... I want to say nothing about myself or my car - including the nature of its origin. I don't want a registration region or a year; I definitely don't want it to say something about my life.

What is the most anonymous number plate you can get? I've seen some that seem a bemusing sequence of numbers only - are they easy to come by? The longer the sequence the better - assuming it has no discernible structure.

Ideas?

HOLA4417
The main reason I bought it (cost me £140) was to hide the age of the car. It is related to my profession so I got tax relief on it too as I claimed it was publicity and got away with it.

Are you an MP?

My brother does the same because in his work you can't be seen in a car that is obviously more than a year old

Yes really sounding like an MP now, come on fess up <_<

HOLA4418
Private number plates are funny... A mate found one he wanted to buy, but was too late..

G16GLES

I thought that was pretty cool...

In a few years, when I've a house - I wouldn't mind paying a modest price to get a bespoke number plate... but for entirely different reasons. I want no information leak... I want to say nothing about myself or my car - including the nature of its origin. I don't want a registration region or a year; I definitely don't want it to say something about my life.

What is the most anonymous number plate you can get? I've seen some that seem a bemusing sequence of numbers only - are they easy to come by? The longer the sequence the better - assuming it has no discernible structure.

Ideas?

A registration plate with numbers only is normally from Jersey.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

JKR decided to go with initials on the covers because it was decided (probably correctly) that a female first name would put boys off reading the books.

Remember this was before any of her books were actually published, when so many agents had turned her down.

HOLA4421
Guest theboltonfury
JKR decided to go with initials on the covers because it was decided (probably correctly) that a female first name would put boys off reading the books.

Remember this was before any of her books were actually published, when so many agents had turned her down.

Why not just use a pen name? Or even just J.Rowling?

Edited by theboltonfury

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest theboltonfury
Since lurking on here, I can't help but notice BTL and STR on plates everywhere!

Plenty of IVA's too....

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I find some cherished number plates quite amusing. Some years ago I used to work in Slough and there was a car I regularly saw with the plate ATW 1X, spaced as "A TW1X" parked at one of the Mars (confectionary production) sites.

Also I can see the attraction of having a plate which spells your name pretty much correctly as with a "MAR10" and "MAR14" which would be seen around Windsor.

BTW, with regards to Rolex, as opposed to the dress watches, the utilitarian steel ones such as submariners may be relatively expensive but they are much prized by many who dive or use them in environments where the casing and (highly scratch-proof) crystal face take abuse that would wreck lesser brands. I have one myself that was passed down to me and I certainly intend to pass it, fully working, to the next familial generation.