• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
My Father was one of ten, born on a council estate. Him and each of his siblings have worked for their entire lives in jobs that pay well below the national average. Yet each of these 10 own their own house. Move to today. How many children born on a council estate will be able to afford a house in their lifetimes if prices stay as they are?

All of them, if they buy their council houses at a discount as the previous council house estate generation did......

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Doesn't work like this. Never has, never will.

it never will, when those who champion the free markets setting house price value get the all important state intervention when the markets are demanding and trying to facilitate a correction, as an attempt to keep the party going just a little bit longer.

HOLA4411
it never will, when those who champion the free markets setting house price value get the all important state intervention when the markets are demanding and trying to facilitate a correction, as an attempt to keep the party going just a little bit longer.

The free markets cannot set house prices when the supply of mortgages is being artificially restrained. :rolleyes:

Provide readily accessible mortgage funding to all employed people with a reasonable credit rating and a 5% deposit and then you will see the free markets set prices. At a level substantially higher than todays. :rolleyes:

I'm curious. Do you even know what the price of a pint of milk is? Or a loaf of bread?

Edited by HAMISH_MCTAVISH

HOLA4412
All of them, if they buy their council houses at a discount as the previous council house estate generation did......

Another stupendously stupid comment. How will that happen exactly? Will the fixed £18K discount make 180K council house affordable to working class people?

The free markets cannot set house prices when the supply of mortgages is being artificially restrained. rolleyes.gif

Provide readily accessible mortgage funding to all employed people with a reasonable credit rating and a 5% deposit and then you will see the free markets set prices. At a level substantially higher than todays. rolleyes.gif

Oh, deluded and stupid. Ok.

Edited by Peter Hun

HOLA4413
Doesn't work like this. Never has, never will.

Ok fair enough. Just add a few facts and stats to prove your point. Maybe you are right. I doubt it. However I know this country is seriously ******ed up. Maybe you are correct.

So let's assume you are correct. Can I ask why this situation is true ?

Can the average person today afford the average Car ? YES.

Can the average person today afford the average bike ? YES.

Can the average person today afford the average watch ? YES.

Can the average person today afford the average holiday ? YES.

Can the average person today afford the average pair of jeans ? YES.

Can the average person today afford the average insurance policy ? YES.

Can the average person today afford the average pint of beer ? YES.

So why not the average house ? I don't think the average Joe should be able, at the age of 20, to buy a detached villa in the nicest area of Suffolk. That would be insane. However the average Joe buying the average wee dinky house for 3 times their annual salary - before tax ?

Seems reasonable to me.

HOLA4414
The free markets cannot set house prices when the supply of mortgages is being artificially restrained. :rolleyes:

Provide readily accessible mortgage funding to all employed people with a reasonable credit rating and a 5% deposit and then you will see the free markets set prices. At a level substantially higher than todays. :rolleyes:

I'm curious. Do you even know what the price of a pint of milk is? Or a loaf of bread?

ergo, the free markets cannot set fair house price values when real interest rates are artificially restrained. :rolleyes:

what part of, the house price bubble was driven by speculative investment do you not understand ? credit ratings and 5% deposits had f*** all to do with the monstrous levels the bubbles reached. Fine, call for equitable access to mortgage finance, but then don't play down the role of central bank and govt. intervention in your free markets during the era of no money down mortgages, and speculative mania.

the price of a loaf of bread varies considerably aswell you know. And i don't buy pints of milk, i pay 6pint containers. pints of milk are for childless couples such as you and your missus. :P

now must go to bed, otherwise i'm doing exactly what's described in that cartoon at the bottom of your post.

HOLA4415
ergo, the free markets cannot set fair house price values when real interest rates are artificially restrained. :rolleyes:

what part of, the house price bubble was driven by speculative investment do you not understand ? credit ratings and 5% deposits had f*** all to do with the monstrous levels the bubbles reached. Fine, call for equitable access to mortgage finance, but then don't play down the role of central bank and govt. intervention in your free markets during the era of no money down mortgages, and speculative mania.

the price of a loaf of bread varies considerably aswell you know. And i don't buy pints of milk, i pay 6pint containers. pints of milk are for childless couples such as you and your missus. :P

now must go to bed, otherwise i'm doing exactly what's described in that cartoon at the bottom of your post.

I know Hamish is a grade 'A' knob. But that is a bit too far. IMO.

I am sure in the boozer he may be a decent enough cant.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

it's called a credit cycle. Was it artificial expansion between 2003 and 2008?

Anyway if there's any artificial intervention now, it's exactly the other way round, the government are trying to interfere in the "free" market's appetite for giving credit through unprecedented measures: historically low interest rates, QE, getting lending commitments from nationalised banks, etc etc.

But the banks clearly don't want to go anywhere near the lending practices of the last 5+ years. One day, they will again. Both situations will greatly influence house prices. Aside from government attempts to intervene, what's artificial about it?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421