House Price Crash Forum

Mortgages Cheaper Per Month Than Renting

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
Buyers in Newham, east London, are £394 a month better off than renters, followed by Sutton in Surrey where they save £378 a month.

“Lenders are squeezing the life out of the housing market with the extortionate mortgage rates they are demanding from those wanting to get on the ladder, said propertyfinder.com's director Nicholas Leeming.

“Thousands are champing at the bit to take advantage of lower house prices, but simply can’t get a mortgage. It’s no wonder first-time buyers are now an endangered species.”

:unsure:

HOLA444

DO NOT BUY NOW

It doesn't matter what the rent is compared to what the mortgage would be, what matters is the relationship between the rent you pay and how much a similar property is falling in value per month.

I pay £525 in rent and the value of my flat falls by £3000 a month. There would be no logic in buying it.

Another factor is that interest rates are slated to rise enormously. Even when house prices are static, if I am earning 15-18% interest on my STR fund I will continue to rent.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Its just this kind of short-termist attitude that got us here in the first place. Lets be honest, the current Interest rates are basically government sanctioned teaser rates which will inevitably rise in due course.

we know its facked. they know its facked.

if the sheeple dont know, then let them go ahead and try.

anyones who dumb enough to buy now would only make a similar catastrophic mistake in some other area of life later.

you cant save blind idiots and fools.

Edited by the-sign-jacker

HOLA447

The historical norm is that mortgage payments are substantially less than rent on an equivalent property in many areas. But that was based on mortgage criteria that excluded people on lower earnings.

Here in Devon, Plymouth is *much* cheaper to buy than the rural areas, but there's little difference in rentals. So in the city a mortgage is definitely cheaper, but out in the sticks it's likely to be more.

HOLA448
Buyers in Newham, east London, are £394 a month better off than renters, followed by Sutton in Surrey where they save £378 a month.

“Lenders are squeezing the life out of the housing market with the extortionate mortgage rates they are demanding from those wanting to get on the ladder, said propertyfinder.com's director Nicholas Leeming.

“Thousands are champing at the bit to take advantage of lower house prices, but simply can’t get a mortgage. It’s no wonder first-time buyers are now an endangered species.”

:lol:

seems to not taken into acount the depreciating asset that they are 'saving' this 394 quid is losing on average around 2k per month.

HOLA449
For those looking to get on the property ladder Hounslow, in west London, is the best value area for a first-time buyer, as it is £518 a month cheaper to buy than rent a two-bedroom property

This is a nonsense.

They seem to be saying that people who buy/rent in Hounslow can save 500 pm by buying but that people in adjacent LAs (e.g. Hillingdon) can't

That's ridiculous. The buy/rent profile of these two LAs is going to be virtually identical.

ISTM that their survey has some biased data in it

tim

HOLA4410
This is a nonsense.

They seem to be saying that people who buy/rent in Hounslow can save 500 pm by buying but that people in adjacent LAs (e.g. Hillingdon) can't

That's ridiculous. The buy/rent profile of these two LAs is going to be virtually identical.

No it's not. Hounslow is grotty and Heathrow-blighted. Therefore the houses are much cheaper to buy than houses in leafier LB Hillingdon. However the rent is pretty much the same, there's a going rate for a zone 5/6 3-bed house in London, location doesn't matter that much.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
For those looking to get on the property ladder Hounslow, in west London, is the best value area for a first-time buyer, as it is £518 a month cheaper while interest rates are artificially low, to buy than rent a two-bedroom property. Remember that interest rates can go up as well as down.

Corrected.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
No it's not. Hounslow is grotty and Heathrow-blighted. Therefore the houses are much cheaper to buy than houses in leafier LB Hillingdon. However the rent is pretty much the same, there's a going rate for a zone 5/6 3-bed house in London, location doesn't matter that much.

Prices for two bed flats in Hounslow. Apart from one renagade one at 99, 145-160 seems to be the normal starter property (which is what the article was about).

Rents start from 800 pm

Prices for two bed flats in Hillingdon, 155-175.

rents from 850 pm.

Looks to me like the buy/rent ratio is pretty much the same in both locations

tim

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Or ....

Renting your house is always better than paying some greedy banker's interest and greedy seller's capital depreciation ......

While i dont think now is a good time to buy, and renting year on year may be cheaper, the average mortgage lasts, what, 25 years? Whereas you have to rent till you die.

I know the somerset webb woman did a calculation on renting vs. mortgage, but im not sure whether she just calculated year on year, over a mortgage term, or over a lifetime.

I would assume over a lifetime owning would be cheaper.

Obviously if you move every year, have to pay stamp duty, agent fees, etc etc things might change drastically. If you only move once or twice in a lifetime id think owning would long term be cheaper.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Owning your own property is always better than paying off some greedy landlord's mortgage.

Yeah, right.

Take an average house (Halifax figures). If I bought a year ago, I paid £191k. Now, it's £160k. That's a saving of £31k.

I live in a town where house prices are indeed very close to the national average. But the average rental is perhaps £750/month, or £9k/year. So I've made a clean £22k profit by renting rather than buying, and that's excluding mortgage payments.

Furthermore, for the monthly price of a 25-year mortgage a year ago, I can now reduce that mortgage to 21 years. Or 18 years if I plough back my year's savings into a deposit.

Looks to me like a pretty conclusive financial case for renting.

HOLA4421
Owning your own property is always better than paying off some greedy landlord's mortgage.

I don't understand why the vast majority of people (not just you, *everyone* says this) resents handing over a huge chunk of income to a private landlord every month, but are fine with giving a putting the same, or even higher, amount straight into the pocket of millionaire bankers.

Personally, I'd rather it went to a landlord, at least that way it'll be taxed more (probably at 40%), and provide some good to society instead of being sucked up into the utterly corrupt and evil banking system.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I am paying my greedy landlord £525 a month while his flat, which I am living in, devalues by £3,500 a month. If I'm doing something stupid here, please explain where because I just don't understand it.

HOLA4424
I am paying my greedy landlord £525 a month while his flat, which I am living in, devalues by £3,500 a month. If I'm doing something stupid here, please explain where because I just don't understand it.

That £3,500 isn't real money, and your landlord isn't going out to work to pay for it. Assuming he didn't withdraw equity against any rises in the flat's value, his position is still good. In a few years he will own a flat, which he can either live in for free, or continue to use to get an income.

Your £525 is real money, and presumably you work for it. In a few years you won't own anything.

He's losing nothing if he didn't spend the increase in 'value'

HOLA4425
That £3,500 isn't real money, and your landlord isn't going out to work to pay for it. Assuming he didn't withdraw equity against any rises in the flat's value, his position is still good. In a few years he will own a flat, which he can either live in for free, or continue to use to get an income.

Your £525 is real money, and presumably you work for it. In a few years you won't own anything.

He's losing nothing if he didn't spend the increase in 'value'

Its not what the landlord is or isnt losing thats relevent. Its what YOU would be losing by buying the place as opposed to renting it.