I T V1 Tonight With Jonathan Maitland 14.04.08

HOLA441
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Hi reaper

Judging by the way things are heading at the moment; after the crash when someone sits down to write this up in the annals of history, HPC members may be considered as being overly optimistic in their predictions of the impending property crash and things were much worse than even they predicted :blink:

Having seen the events unfold over the last few months I have to agree with you Reggie.

The truth is, we really are in new territory and in the future economics text books will refer back to the "financial chaos" of the new millennium. To appreciate the severity and significance of what is unfolding requires the long-view of the economic historian; a factor which explains why economists and financial analysts can't grasp the magnitude and significance of what is happening and resort to inappropriate comparisons, bland cliches and platitudes. The fact is they are uttering opinions but really have no idea what the future holds. When is the last time in the UK the savings ratio was at record low levels, the level of public expenditure was high as a %age of GDP, taxation was as high, personal debt was as high, unsecured and fraudulent lending was as high, banks were unable to extend credit due to widespread insolvency and the level of people's primary financial asset ie house started to fall? And when was the last time all these things happened and house prices fell nominally by 30-50% in a couple of years (as looks likely to happen)? And if you factor in the additional impact of the UK's trading partners such as the USA and other countries going into recession at the same time?

Can anyone let me know when all this last happened?

And was it a happy ending?

HOLA443
HOLA444
Excess credit = high house prices

shortage of credit = lower house prices.

At least this journo understood the basics of how this housing market has been driven since 2003.

Jonathan Maitland is very shrewd guy, he rode the waves and got out before it crashed using simple well know logic..the same logic as many many supporters of this site have used

If you see a bandwagon ..its too late

when the shoeshine boys have tips, the market is too popular for its own good

Edited by The Ginger Winger

HOLA445
I luved the auction where the Lady clutching her baby to her bossoms (the normal TV sympathy grabbing attempt) flat never sold, there were only 8 people present. Not every property at auction sells or where they trying to infer than "Normally" they do.

As to the people blindly buying properties, thats without even seeing them (doh") and now being irrate because they made a bad investment, JEEEEZ.

ITV really scraping the bottom of the barrel to fuel more irresponsible and unecessary scaremongering, their TV special effects team did a great job on this show, no need for smoke and mirrors ;-)

Bricks are laid using something called mortar - not morter.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Phil Spencer's credibility amongst the property buying sheeple is shot to pieces now! :lol: IMO, he had better either disappear for a bit or reinvent himself over the next few years as I get the sense C4 will not be recommissioning another series of Location Location Location! :lol::P:lol:

Well done FP! This will really make the sheeple panic - and quite right too as they have had their heads up their arses during the last few years of "mania"!

BTW - I don't think Maitland was being smug - he just got some good advice from FP last year and sold up!

How about Dislocation Dislocation Dislocation

Following a group of repossessed BTLers, as they are forced first out of their own homes and then between various assured short hold tenancies.

Edited by mikelivingstone

HOLA448
Never said there wasnt any bull standpoint did I? Just voicing my synicle streak regarding anything shown on TV as being contrived to give an end result the producers require from the programmes inception, they did it well tonight for many non thinkers I bet.

Yep and Sarah, Phil, Krustie, Amanda and a whole raft of other nonentities have been doing exactly that - creating an end result to suit the producer's brief, for years for, as you say, the non thinkers - like those idiots on the program tonight who paid Inside Tracks 8k each to buy flats in Manchester they never even bothered to look at.

Hard to believe such idiots are allowed to manage their own affairs.

HOLA449
Not sure why from an old (probably well cut) clip that was probably filmed before the US bank drama that fuelled what has happened here since. Also, we were NOT shown the context of the conversation preceeding all of their predictions.

The total show (entertainment originated), abismal in all its efforts to give any sort of balanced view.

It was explained the clip was from a program filmed with the same presenter a year ago. It wasn't rocket science. It's not hard to understand. A year ago he asked Phil Spencer where the property market would be in 18 months time. Phil, property expert, said you can bank on 10% gains.

Yes, his credibility is shot to pieces. The show gave a very balanced view of what is happening in the market at the moment. You might not like it but that doesn't change a thing.

HOLA4410
Guest anorthosite
Not relevant to Scotland. They get so much money from us that house prices will go up forever.

Yes, the Labour government told me that too.

HOLA4411
My sensible question is, in my desire for facts and to read consdiered thoughts..... is on what basis is this true given that the housing stock has always been a solid investment over a lifetime.... if this was true, then could be be true that house prices will go back to this level in say 10, 15, 20 or 25 years?

Krystyna

The only relevent study is an area of Amsterdam (Herengecht) where prices have been recorded for 350 years the as far as I know unique thing is that area has always been prime property. (Most areas go in and out of fashion so prices are not comparable over time)

Prices there have had long periods say 50 years where they rise and similar falls, crashes come with demographic crisis and wars.

We have a looming demographic crisis.

Dr Bubb has a thread on this on GEI.

HOLA4412
The show gave a very balanced view of what is happening in the market at the moment. You might not like it but that doesn't change a thing.

It did, I loved Maitland's thinly veiled schadenfruede though. A few things among many he said that made me smile:

"Not that I mean to rub it in, but..."- to the old woman inside tracker

"Like selling ice to the Eskimo's"

"So, just how devastating is this for you?" Both to the idiot mother.

:lol::lol::lol:

What's even better is that this will undoubtedly set the tone for further reporting on this major story. Finally T.V will be worth watching again and I can look forward to a long summer of cackling malicously at greedy broke fools and their tales of woe.

HOLA4413
Anyone got a copy of the March 2007 programme shown? The one where Phil Spencer was predicting "without a shadow of a doubt" 10% price rises :lol:

I have on my dvd hd, not sure how i upload it on the site though? If someone tells me how i would be only too happy . Oh no, i just remembered, those bl**dy annoying twins are on it!

HOLA4414
I have on my dvd hd, not sure how i upload it on the site though? If someone tells me how i would be only too happy . Oh no, i just remembered, those bl**dy annoying twins are on it!

Found it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=atCrSMoX_SA

Also this classic from a few months earlier:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VDbbDSJUs7U

Edited by Little Professor

HOLA4415
Never said there wasnt any bull standpoint did I? Just voicing my synicle streak regarding anything shown on TV as being contrived to give an end result the producers require from the programmes inception, they did it well tonight for many non thinkers I bet.

You mean all the fookwit BTLers . I agree with you. Let them all burn and suffer. Show no mercy to them.

HOLA4416

The woman with the baby from the south, BTL'ing flats she'd never seen hundreds of miles away was actually a pretty damning indictment [and a great example] of how very ordinary folk have been consumed by the prospect of alleged 'easy riches', and which has turned out to be a poisoned chalice.

Whoever financed, aided and/or coerced this woman into these deals is as guilty of her financial demise as she is.

I wonder how many of the now 1,000,000 BTL mortgagees are of a similar ilk and how catastrophic this could prove to be to the market.

Also....

'FP' is getting far too much airtime at the moment! :P

Maybe he will get his own show on C4 now that Phil & Krusty have become obsolete and a laughing stock?

Apart from their [iTN] news, C4 seems to be the only main terrestrial broadcaster reluctant to document the demise of the UK HM.

May be time for a 'Dispatches' on the subject?

I wonder who will speak for the pessimists? ;)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I think it was rather socially irresposible (hope thats the right expression!)for the woman from Kent to buy the 4 BTL flats in the North. 2 in Warrington and 2 in Bury, wasn't it? And other BTLers too who don't even live in those areas. :angry:

Did she not think about the consequences of pricing FTBs out the housing market in those areas? And what would she do if there was an emergency and she had to go to the flats in a hurry? OK, so property prices in here area are higher. She probably could have bought one local BTL property, that she could have viewed and get to quickly. Also starting off with one BTL property is safer than going straight in the deep end with 4!!!

She deserves to suffer financially.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Superb!

Never thought I'd see the day when mainstream TV exposed media darlings Phil Spencer and Rosie Millard for the phoneys that they are.

FP added gravitas without coming across as fanatical.

HPC TV at its best!

Edited by Spirit

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Not relevant to Scotland. They get so much money from us that house prices will go up forever.

On that genius comment everyone, lets all invest in property in Scotland!!!! I take it your going to put your money where your mouth is?

sshhhhh; Don’t tell anyone but property down 2.9% in 6 months in Scotland (Home.co.uk) and only up 1.2% in Edinburgh over the year (ESPC).

Plonker.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Just wanted to say that this programme stirred up quite a lot of angry people on MSE today.. in fact the thread got deleted because of it! :rolleyes:

Fantastic programme, and well done FP!!

The woman with her 4 BTL's with one of them not even making £70k at auction filled me with hope and optimism.

Edited by north/south divide