RomfordDon

HOLA441
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
1 hour ago, Maynardgravy said:

He really didn't deserve that reaction. And I say this as someone married to a Bengali girl with a mixed race child. Some people who constantly ram the race card down other's throats need a good dose of what racism actually is. I've been beaten up badly by a gang for being white - that's racism. Discrimination at work through colour is racism. Making an inoffensive observation, even if you think it unfounded, is not racism.

I'm sure you mean well, and I am sure that being beaten up was a bummer. Sadly, being beaten up does not imbue you with magical powers which enable you to rule unerringly on the question of what is and what is not racism. 

If you read what you quoted you'll see I am explicitly stating that there is a way for insertracismthenscarper, sorry insertracismthencontinue, sorry insertcoinsthencontinue to disavow the racist overtone and own up to holding some idiotic views ("All doctors are Asian people", "A high proportion of BTL landlord are Asian people") and having glued them together into an exciting new idiotic view ("All BTL landlords are Asian people who work as doctors").

He had an easy out; "Sorry, I hadn't thought it through. I realise that my analysis is worthless. Given that a racist overtone could be read into my worthless analysis I withdraw it and apologise for it

Is that how insertracismthenbail proceeds? Computer says no.

I get that people find a challenge to their off the cuff dumb opinions difficult but this is a forum where we exchange and challenge opinions and share knowledge. If your boy insertracsimthenhopeforapass was looking for something else then they should have looked somewhere else.

Another important point. You've decided to label a beating from a gang or being deprived of the opportunity to make a living as the boundary between racism and non-racism (it'll be grand if your daughter shares that view, I'm not sure she should). My perspective is that I love the HPC forum and I want it to be a place where everyone who'd like to see lower housing costs feels welcome. I am not arguing that that is 'party line' or the forum code - it's my view. But I get to set out my view on the forum. I want to draw the line between racism and non-racism somewhere different from where you want it drawn, and we can debate that - because it's a forum.

Edited by Beary McBearface

HOLA443
5 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

What is wrong with you? Thats a disgusting way to behave, and is an affront to people that actually suffer racism such as the post above. 

Absolutely, just imagine how awful it is to be told to get lost by some nobody on the internet. I wonder if insertcoinstocontinue will ever recover? (From the boredom.)

Still waiting on some statistics to back up the idea that "a high proportion" of BTL investors are "Asian people", but not holding my breath.

HOLA444
16 minutes ago, Beary McBearface said:

Absolutely, just imagine how awful it is to be told to get lost by some nobody on the internet. I wonder if insertcoinstocontinue will ever recover? (From the boredom.)

Still waiting on some statistics to back up the idea that "a high proportion" of BTL investors are "Asian people", but not holding my breath.

Its common knowledge lots of doctors are Asian for a start. Is it racist to point this out? If not then is it any more racist to suggest lots of BTL landlords are Asian? No, it's not racist, it's someone's opinion based upon their own experiences. Get off your high horse and start acting like an adult for god sake. 

HOLA445
HOLA446
2 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

Its common knowledge lots of doctors are Asian for a start. Is it racist to point this out? If not then is it any more racist to suggest lots of BTL landlords are Asian? No, it's not racist, it's someone's opinion based upon their own experiences. Get off your high horse and start acting like an adult for god sake. 

Let us say that you know nothing about blonde men or the average nipple count of blonde men. Is it bigoted to suggest that a high proportion of blonde men have a third nipple? Is it idiotic to draw inferences about a massive population (BTL landlords) from the tiny sample size of your own experience?

You need to read this book (and probably this too). The errors of reasoning are the issue. We have the following unevidenced claims

• professionals are disproportionately involved in BTL
  • doctors are disproportionately involved in BTL
  • doctors are disproportionately involved in BTL because doctors are disproportionately "Asian people"

To what end this dog's breakfast of an argument? To stand behind the idea that "lots of BTL landlords are Asian"? What does "lots" mean? Is it a claim about the proportion? The proportion of what? Are we saying that 70% of landlords are Asian people? Are we saying that 70% of Asian people are landlords?

It's all just idiocy.

You might feel that the big call for you to post is a chance to add your failure to think to inserterrorsthenbolt's failure to think but I am not buying your argument.

Adults (hopefully) have greater powers of reasoning than children. Hopefully they also know more and are better able to judge truth from falsehood. (Also I'll take a high horse over a bigot's soiled coat tails every day of the week.)

Seriously, the choices are idiot or racist idiot. Pick your poison.

HOLA447

Idiocy is not racism, I'm glad you're starting to see the difference. 

I very much doubt there are statistics based upon the race of landlords, so all we'll ever have is our own anecdotal evidence. Yours obviously differs to others.

But please, do not dilute the term racist and throw around such slanderous accusations in future with such little thought. 

HOLA448
39 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

Dude...

The plural of university is not university's.

source.gif

I keep meaning to read this. Is it a fair representation of the state of your movement?

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
1 minute ago, honkydonkey said:

If you bothered to watch the video you'll see that it directly relates to my point. Seeing racism where none exists. 

Man, I am totally going to watch it now. Absolutely definitely. As I understand matters Robinson is the acknowledged pre-eminent expert on what is and is not racism. If I'd known you'd studied his videos I would have shown you much more respect as an expert on racism. Hats off, sir.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I'm sure the demographics of the typical BTL landlord is quite diverse and can be from any background. It would largely depend on the area and age of the individual. It's not racist to discuss demographics, so lets look at it objectively.

I live in a London suburb with a very high proportion of BME and Eastern Europeans. In my area the probability would suggest a typical BTL landlord may reflect that diversification.

You also have to factor in cultural biases also. A large percentage of my work colleagues and friends are Asian. The traditional values in a family is to give a portion of your salary into the family unit. Typically money may be invested in hard assets, gold jewellery, property or businesses to better the whole family. You are also seen to 'do well' in the Asian culture generally if you study and work in medicine.

This may differ from say the Eastern Europeans, who have arrived in recent years. They may be more likely to do lower skilled jobs and live in shared accommodation so less likely to be BTL landlords.

So on this basis in my area, there may be a loose correlation between the amount of 'Asian doctors who are BTL landlords' statement that has been raised. But this is highly area dependent and not a sweeping generalisation.

Edited by sideysid

HOLA4414
4 hours ago, sideysid said:

I'm sure the demographics of the typical BTL landlord is quite diverse and can be from any background. It would largely depend on the area and age of the individual. It's not racist to discuss demographics, so lets look at it objectively.

I live in a London suburb with a very high proportion of BME and Eastern Europeans. In my area the probability would suggest a typical BTL landlord may reflect that diversification.

You also have to factor in cultural biases also. A large percentage of my work colleagues and friends are Asian. The traditional values in a family is to give a portion of your salary into the family unit. Typically money may be invested in hard assets, gold jewellery, property or businesses to better the whole family. You are also seen to 'do well' in the Asian culture generally if you study and work in medicine.

This may differ from say the Eastern Europeans, who have arrived in recent years. They may be more likely to do lower skilled jobs and live in shared accommodation so less likely to be BTL landlords.

So on this basis in my area, there may be a loose correlation between the amount of 'Asian doctors who are BTL landlords' statement that has been raised. But this is highly area dependent and not a sweeping generalisation.

I agree with this observation. A friend of mine of Indian heritage noted once that the aim and expectation was to become a doctor or an engineer, or choose a similar high status professional career. I would be very surprised if Asians were not disproportionately represented among doctors. 

I have no idea whether this has any impact on BTL rates. 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
8 hours ago, Beary McBearface said:

Get lost, you racist idiot.

Racist " a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another."

The posters comment was neither discriminatory or demeaning, just a personal observation, your comment however was rude and warrants an apology.

HOLA4417
6 hours ago, Beary McBearface said:

Plenty of thought behind it and I stand behind it

insertballsthenbail had a chance to rebut the suggestion but chose not to. Either they don't mind or don't care.

Or don't think you're worth the effort?

People who feel the need to attack what they perceive as racism on behalf of others are actually and taking the moral high ground are the actual racists in that they must feel superior to think they have to defend others, presumably as the others aren't capable of defending themselves. People who play the race card to their advantage are also racist as they think they're smarter than everyone else not of their ethnicity.

My late wife was Black African (her description) and hated people who misused the terms racist and racism.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Being rude, a bigot, an idiot, angry, protectionist etc...is not racism.

It's possible the opposite of racism, admitting you are the weaker race.

It's time people stopped being offended by everything and had a grown up debate.

There's a big problem with immigration in the UK and now with home bread terrorism.

The PC brigade are responsible.

racism.png

HOLA4420
9 hours ago, Beary McBearface said:

Get lost, you racist idiot.

This is helpful as now we clearly know Beary is a racist and can stick this person on the ignore list

Because as soon as he/she sees the word "asian" he applies prejudice and jumps to a conclusion that the poster is a racist and cant apply rational thought to what the poster was saying

Way to go....

HOLA4421
10 hours ago, Butthead said:

Doctors earn good wages and often have surplus income

People with surplus income look for something to do with it that allows it to grow

The property market, rightly or wrongly, is viewed as a way of getting a good return. It's also fashionable.

It's as simple as that really.

I think that's exactly it - couple with the fact that at the moment interest rates are so low that just putting savings in the bank looks unattractive, causing people who in years gone by would have just banked it to look elsewhere for returns.  

Interest rates have been so low for so long it's easy to forget now that Cash ISAs when they launched paid 5-6% interest at a time when inflation was 2-3%.  

HOLA4422
3 minutes ago, Rozza said:

This is helpful as now we clearly know Beary is a racist and can stick this person on the ignore list

Because as soon as he/she sees the word "asian" he applies prejudice and jumps to a conclusion that the poster is a racist and cant apply rational thought to what the poster was saying

Way to go....

Race is to do with birth, ethnicity is learned behaviour. Therefore if a group of people with the same background, beliefs and value systems act in a certain way it's ethnicity, not race that is the reason. Religion is a form of ethnic behaviour, it's based on your environment, not necessarily your race.

Oh and Beary is a fibber, "I come in Peace" yeah, right :rolleyes:

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
8 minutes ago, Rozza said:

Way to go....

???

abr.png

HOLA4425