House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
1 hour ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Currently 86% debt to GDP going to 60% in 7 years?  

So what government is going to deliver that spectacular growth. Surely you don't mean the current lot?

Quote (my bold):

<<...our post-Brexit forecast would get our finances into reasonable shape by 2024, permitting the Government to start spending more beforehand without endangering progress to a 60 per cent target by around the middle of the decade. One per cent of GDP per annum could therefore be spent additionally from the 2020 financial year over the succeeding 5 years, while still reaching a 60 per cent debt/GDP ratio in around 2026. This amounts to about £135 billion in total. Therefore, beginning from the date of Brexit in 2020, somewhat more than £25 billion extra spending a year could be accommodated, while still reaching the 60 per cent debt/GDP target by the end of 2025. >>

They seem to be predicting 60% debt/GDP in late 2025 or 2026.  So 7 or 8 years in the future.

Like the treasury they have fed figures into their computer model and this is the result.  Make of that what you will, but is it any worse than the other models? 

HOLA442
47 minutes ago, kzb said:

Well at least this lot are telling you why the treasury forecasts were wrong.  They also claim their previous forecast was pretty accurate and certainly better than the Treasury, OBR and IMF forecasts.

But yes, I post these things primarily for our enjoyment, I personally don't expect it to conform to reality.

"Since the war there’s never been 5 consecutive years of GDP growth of 1.5% or below, as forecast today by OBR" - Faisal Islam

Well, if Brexit was about nostalgia sound like we are right on track. That's some impressive growth :mellow:

"This means that despite almost no-one feeling like Britain's economy is going gangbusters, the @OBR_UK thinks we are actually outperforming what we can sustainably produce - that's the real pessimism underlying today's grim forecasts " - Torsten Bell, Resolution Foundation

Yes, it's looking pretty rosy. The only question now is how to spend that Brexit dividend. I know, how about on your essential bills when you get made redundant?

"OBR: Fairly high chance of a recession before 2023"

Oh, and just to sign off on a positive note...

"Not that much to be Tiggerish about here. Growth forecasts dreadful compared with what we thought in March 2016, dreadful by historical standards and dreadful compared with most of the rest of the world." - Paul Johnson, Directory IFS.

Pat yourself on the backs Brexiters - cos nobody else will... ;)

HOLA443
40 minutes ago, kzb said:

They seem to be predicting 60% debt/GDP in late 2025 or 2026.  So 7 or 8 years in the future.

Like the treasury they have fed figures into their computer model and this is the result.  Make of that what you will, but is it any worse than the other models? 

I can't say if this model is better or worse than the OBR's.  I can't take Minford seriously though.

The OBR forecast is at best 1.5% over the next few years. 1.5% compounded is 17%. So 87% debt reduced to 70% debt if growth roughly pays off debt. Roughly. And while still borrowing???

This is based on the current and next government keeping the ship from the rocks. That is what I find so hard to believe.

HOLA444
17 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

I can't say if this model is better or worse than the OBR's.  I can't take Minford seriously though.

The OBR forecast is at best 1.5% over the next few years. 1.5% compounded is 17%. So 87% debt reduced to 70% debt if growth roughly pays off debt. Roughly. And while still borrowing???

This is based on the current and next government keeping the ship from the rocks. That is what I find so hard to believe.

Minford is a nasty, misguided little man. The Rasputin figure who whispered the post-industrail wasteland policy into Thatcher's ear.

... and here we are today.

HOLA445
5 hours ago, jonb2 said:

Umm, so why Brexit? How is Brexit going to change any of this, except make it much worse.

Leavers have been had. There is no pot of gold at the end of a rainbow - is there?

I keep telling you, 65% of our food is imported, 70% of our pollinating insects are dead, 1 warm summer and water shortages will not be far away.. there is only so many people the country can sustain.. when I was young there were bees, butterfly’s and native birds.. all dead.. 

and yet you evil lot want to kill more of the animals we share our planet with for money!  

No more people.. no more concrete.. end it! 

The economy is just a trick to make slavery legal.. we all need to wake up one day and just stay indoors, go down the park.. actually live our lives and stop this stupid economy nonsense.. 

Sod the economy.. great living standards can only be achieved with small populations.. more people will lead to even more homelessness, more crime. Lower living standards.. as it has continued to do since Blair the scum bag opened the boarders without any permission from the electorate.. he has made a lot of money from sliding living standards.. as has most of the remain elite.. 

HOLA446
4 minutes ago, macca13 said:

I keep telling you, 65% of our food is imported, 70% of our pollinating insects are dead, 1 warm summer and water shortages will not be far away.. there is only so many people the country can sustain.. when I was young there were bees, butterfly’s and native birds.. all dead.. 

and yet you evil lot want to kill more of the animals we share our planet with for money!  

The economy is just a trick to make slavery legal.. we all need to wake up one day and just stay indoors, go down the park.. actually live our lives and stop this stupid economy nonsense.. 

Sod the economy.. great living standards can only be achieved with small populations.. more people will lead to even more homelessness, more crime. Lower living standards.. as it has continued to do since Blair the scum bag opened the boarders without any permission from the electorate.. he has made a lot of money from sliding living standards.. as has most of the remain elite.. 

We'll try again.

How is Brexit going to change any of this?

HOLA447
5 minutes ago, macca13 said:

I agree with 50% of this.

How far back in time do you want to go Macca?

med_pl.jpeg

HOLA448
2 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

:lol:

1. Still making stuff up... best to post my links.

I've obviously touched a nerve with the 17m+ Remainers who chose not to vote for another chance to remain in the EU.

2. So you are saying that Remainers, faced with the choice of another referendum or past LD actions on austerity/tuition fees/trust etc. 

chose........wait for it........... a Brexit Party!  

3. Again, I have clearly stated that Remainers did not vote for another referendum in 2017 when they had a chance...Actions speak louder than words.

Happy to discuss any aspect but, since it's you, can you post links to for your figures.

1.  I don't have to, you reposted the 1p link many times thanks.  :lol::lol:

You've touched no nerve, I am curious as to what time frame you're talking about; one moment it's the general election, next the referendum, then today.

2.  Well yes, as that's what an MP told me, not someone who purports to know lots, but can't even remember what he posts.  I'll go with the MP thanks.

3.  Conservatives drop 12% in 7 months, Labour gain 20% in 7 months.  LibDem polling massively swings in LE by-elections.  Yes, they do don't they :lol:

I already have, several times...

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA449
36 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

"Since the war there’s never been 5 consecutive years of GDP growth of 1.5% or below, as forecast today by OBR" - Faisal Islam

Well, if Brexit was about nostalgia sound like we are right on track. That's some impressive growth :mellow:

"This means that despite almost no-one feeling like Britain's economy is going gangbusters, the @OBR_UK thinks we are actually outperforming what we can sustainably produce - that's the real pessimism underlying today's grim forecasts " - Torsten Bell, Resolution Foundation

Yes, it's looking pretty rosy. The only question now is how to spend that Brexit dividend. I know, how about on your essential bills when you get made redundant?

"OBR: Fairly high chance of a recession before 2023"

Oh, and just to sign off on a positive note...

"Not that much to be Tiggerish about here. Growth forecasts dreadful compared with what we thought in March 2016, dreadful by historical standards and dreadful compared with most of the rest of the world." - Paul Johnson, Directory IFS.

Pat yourself on the backs Brexiters - cos nobody else will... ;)

But the OBR was wrong with its Brexit forcast.  Minford claims his model was much closer to the truth.

So which model do you believe, the one that was wrong or the one that was nearly right?

HOLA4410
12 minutes ago, kzb said:

But the OBR was wrong with its Brexit forcast.  Minford claims his model was much closer to the truth.

He would.

Did his model predict a central bank intervention a few weeks after the vote and a slow decline of UK growth?  Do you have a link to his 2018 economic forecasts? 

Who do I believe... The further you get from the present, the harder it is to make accurate predictions about the future. I'd go with the OBR for the next year, then all bets are off because the deal / no deal and subsequent fallout could influence the economy quite drastically. 

HOLA4411
5 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

He would.

Did his model predict a central bank intervention a few weeks after the vote and a slow decline of UK growth?  Do you have a link to his 2018 economic forecasts? 

Who do I believe... The further you get from the present, the harder it is to make accurate predictions about the future. I'd go with the OBR for the next year, then all bets are off because the deal / no deal and subsequent fallout could influence the economy quite drastically. 

It could, even I admit, go either way, or continue as it is, Japanese style.  We could have record growth with a hard brexit, record growth if we stayed in.  However, I don't think we'd have an economic crash were we to stay in, and it's definitely an option for hard brexit.

BUT!  Having said all of that, we've only been papering over all the cracks since 2008, so another crash 10/12 years after the event could easily happen, which all we'd see is one side saying "cyclic crash" and the other "warned you all about Brexit".

I'm just glad I'll be retiring soon.

HOLA4412
21 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

He would.

Their model predicted growth better than the OBR model.  If you actually open and read the link I gave, it discusses the previous forecasts and how they compare to others.

HOLA4413

It's all great, everything is fine, as we have hope.

Meanwhile, in the real world, UK forecast to have lowest growth in G20 of Advanced and Emerging Nations, the following year forecast to be the lowest of all, joint equal with Japan.

But at least we'll have blue passports...

What does tickle me, a lot, is that the stamp duty exemption for first time buyers, is going to cost the government a lot more than forecasted as it has pushed up house prices, meaning they're losing more money they would have gained, which was forecast by just about every man, woman and dog that frequents these boards.  This government, is amazing.  Really, utterly, breathtakingly amazing.  Genius.

Edited by HairyOb1

HOLA4414
4 hours ago, HairyOb1 said:

Reiterating, I still don't think we'll leave.  If we did, I think in 5 years time the result would be absolutely cut and dried, in 7-8 more so.  Nothing, not one thing have I read that has suggested to me that even a part of this brexit will be good for the country, and even for business.  I saw a Conservative MP mentioned yesterday on twitter, a line I'd seen on here, pretty much, in that he's seen the economic forecasts and whilst they are not good, life is more than GDP.  That's a conservative MP.  His line has changed from everything will be rosy, to it's not all about how everything will be rosy.

So even they know it's going to kill GDP, push us further down the charts and down the pecking order in producing trade deals.  5 years of that will see people climbing over each other to rejoin.  As I said, if it every happens anyway.

Miss quoted you there jon.

Just listening to Radio 4 on the Russian issue and when asking an international relations guru about how this will affect Russia, he said it will not, they believe the UK to be of no importance in the world.  No matter what we do, they can do the same.  It made me think of precisely the same thing about trade deals - We're of no importance now, hardly.  We've got a trade minister bad at trade and a negotiation team who can't negotiate.  

You're also right about China, India, etc; they don't need anything we have.

I agree Hairy.

I think the delusion of our significance in the world is particularly dangerous. It clouds our great leaders' judgement. What is even worse is the number of people here who believe the Kremlin rather than the Western view. Just listening to the chat shows on radio is an eye-opener. It's as though everybody is either a Burgess, Philby, Blunt or Maclean. The lack of critical thinking and a hatred of all normal news channels is more destructive than any nerve gas. Maybe the media deserves its rejection. But simply handing our a*ses to a psychopath who also happens to be one of the richest men on earth gained purely by intimidation and corruption. Brexit will make the UK a sitting duck - but most leavers think it's worth it for some intangible reason.

Rex Tillerson's sacking tells everything we need to know about the same thing happening in the USA.

https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21737276-and-why-wests-response-inadequate-how-putin-meddles-western-democracies

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Futuroid said:

We'll try again.

How is Brexit going to change any of this?

Less people better country.. 

especially as most of our problems are because of historical immigration. 

FGM

acid attacks

gun and knife crime

honour killings

child expoitation gangs. Raping 1000’s of girls because the police were too worried about being called racist. 

Terrorists 

community segregation

diseases

translator costs

implementation of integration policies and positive discrimination against British people. 

Environmrntal impact

longer travel times to work reducing family time

Colapsing public services.. 

if I put enough thought into it I’m sure I could make a few pages on the subject! 

What is the point in it? Why do politicians want it? Most politicians think Brexit is a bad idea, if the elites want to stay in Europe then everyone who is not a btl landlord, land owner, part of a large multi national business should be pro Brexit.. 

now you you name me 10 fantastic things about immigration! 

HOLA4416
6 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

I agree Hairy.

I think the delusion of our significance in the world is particularly dangerous. It clouds our great leaders' judgement. What is even worse is the number of people here who believe the Kremlin rather than the Western view. Just listening to the chat shows on radio is an eye-opener. It's as though everybody is either a Burgess, Philby, Blunt or Maclean. The lack of critical thinking and a hatred of all normal news channels is more destructive than any nerve gas. Maybe the media deserves its rejection. But simply handing our a*ses to a psychopath who also happens to be one of the richest men on earth gained purely by intimidation and corruption. Brexit will make the UK a sitting duck - but most leavers think it's worth it for some intangible reason.

Rex Tillerson's sacking tells everything we need to know about the same thing happening in the USA.

https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21737276-and-why-wests-response-inadequate-how-putin-meddles-western-democracies

May you live in interesting times.  Seems apt at the moment.  I agree; I have utterly no idea what's going on in the world at the moment, and starting to feel slightly worried about it all, being frank.  At Midnight tonight, I expect BoJo to announce that we're going to ban Russia from Marmite and PG Tips, both of which we don't actually own anyway, and then say we're expelling 3 minor diplomats, which the Russians will retaliate with by sending our Ambassador home with all his staff.

We're spent.

HOLA4417
25 minutes ago, macca13 said:

FGM - Well, not too sure it's a big thing. Used to play cricket with a Muslim Doctor who had 2 daughters.  Didn't seem the kind to take his scalpel home at the weekend.

acid attacks - Mainly perpetuated by Brits

gun and knife crime - See above

honour killings - The Irish were keen on this for a while too.

child expoitation gangs. Raping 1000’s of girls because the police were too worried about being called racist.  Seems to be a lot of news about serial child rape by MP's and influential people too; this isn't a race issue

Terrorists - Like bombing other countries when you have no evidence you should do?  Like the 70/80/90's in the UK by Irish, Germans, Spanish and French at the same time?  Do you think Muslims have a monopoly on this?

community segregation - Class separates communities too, still does.

diseases - Still have them, what's your point?

translator costs - Yes, sometimes I listen to folk from Newcastle and look to get someone in.

implementation of integration policies and positive discrimination against White British people. FTFY

Environmental impact - Yes, there is, in every single thing anyone does today.  Life.

longer travel times to work reducing family time - But conversely more flexible working patterns.  Lets also attribute that to the fact it's no longer 1953 and there are more people, as there always would have been.  I come from a family of 10.

Colapsing public services.  Nothing to do with Austerity at all. Nope, nothing.

if I put enough thought into it I’m sure I could make a few pages on the subject!   I bet you could, but by the time you put it to print, the paper would be too wet to print from dribbling.

What is the point in it? Why do politicians want it? Most politicians think Brexit is a bad idea, if the elites want to stay in Europe then everyone who is not a btl landlord, land owner, part of a large multi national business should be pro Brexit.. 

I think you're going to struggle with a few of these.

The mini was designed by an immigrant.  Changed the face of motoring.

The Royal Family (you seem like one to be a bit of a royalist)

Curry.

NHS (you'll have to travel with me on this, as we can't sustain it on UK workers alone)

Marks and Sparks.

Financial growth.

Helping us out in times of war.

Made our food nicer.

Cultural growth (in the arts) - I think you're not one who will like this one though.

Sport - Our teams have got much better through diversity.  I mean, Hick was fast tracked into the England team and in the 80's, I couldn't understand much of the England cricket team.

£2,3bn a year in net gains from overseas students

Handel was on the queens pay after moving here.  Must have been fairly good?

Our architecture has been completely changed by immigration and migrants

Tax take (net tax take from migrants is positive)

Me.

I could go on

Mine are real, yours imagined.  I was working in London the other day and on going out to Lunch, could have chosen from hundreds of different cuisines, probably more.  In the 80's when I first moved to London, I could have chosen about 10

Edited by HairyOb1

HOLA4418
7 hours ago, jonb2 said:

Here's the thing. I have seen the light as a remainer, Brexit is unresolvable. NOTHING can change hearts and minds

I'll say it again. Until I am Red, White and Blue in the face.

For me, I see Brexit as misdirection by yet another loathsome, myopic and talentless government. They have got away with it. For now. The bad things that provoked Brexit are just going to get worse.

Here's the real rub though. There is nobody in Westminster that could lead us to a better place. They hate experts but are expert in running down the country.

The hardest of hard Brexits is the only solution. It really is.

Then from the rubble, we'll have some populist emerge - a Farage, but with jackboots - promising us another empire with tea and crumpets. It's the way the world is going - and those that hate the EU will be marching up the Mall and into the new dawn of emptiness with a grin on their face.

This.

The brexit argument was built off the premise that the EU are big baddies and as evidence of this? A bunch of mostly fabricated propaganda. How can you argue logically against lies when people actually just want to believe the lies? You can't.

I've argued on this thread that people who believe in the UK, believe in freedom of movement between countries, believe in socialising of costs between countries for the good of the entire group, believed in centralised government for efficiency purposes, and so on, and so on. All of this much the same as the EU stands for, but somehow it is terrible in the EU, but great in the UK. The exception is that I actually prefer the EU parliament model. There we have actual experts with a much lower political agenda and a longer term stability view designing and proposing our laws. Then our elected representatives veto or not said laws so we retain this important element. This creates a more stable system than the broken UK populist system which consists of only ever having two electable parties who just do their best to one-up the other party in the short term they have available to them and NEVER actually fix anything for us. 

Come on. Based off all the available evidence, the things we hate in our lives are all products of UK parliament. The EU laws are largely sensible (with a few minor exceptions).

The real thing is that people hate immigration, want to end freedom of movement, and really, really just want to believe the EU is the bad guy rather than our own politicians. There isn't a way you can convince people like that otherwise, so I've given up trying and now just point out their idiocy.

HOLA4419
27 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

This.

The brexit argument was built off the premise that the EU are big baddies and as evidence of this? A bunch of mostly fabricated propaganda. How can you argue logically against lies when people actually just want to believe the lies? You can't.

I've argued on this thread that people who believe in the UK, believe in freedom of movement between countries, believe in socialising of costs between countries for the good of the entire group, believed in centralised government for efficiency purposes, and so on, and so on. All of this much the same as the EU stands for, but somehow it is terrible in the EU, but great in the UK. The exception is that I actually prefer the EU parliament model. There we have actual experts with a much lower political agenda and a longer term stability view designing and proposing our laws. Then our elected representatives veto or not said laws so we retain this important element. This creates a more stable system than the broken UK populist system which consists of only ever having two electable parties who just do their best to one-up the other party in the short term they have available to them and NEVER actually fix anything for us. 

Come on. Based off all the available evidence, the things we hate in our lives are all products of UK parliament. The EU laws are largely sensible (with a few minor exceptions).

The real thing is that people hate immigration, want to end freedom of movement, and really, really just want to believe the EU is the bad guy rather than our own politicians. There isn't a way you can convince people like that otherwise, so I've given up trying and now just point out their idiocy.

But the continual change in their opinions, in the main, make this hard - Once it was an economic thing, then it was ideological, but now it's I don't give a shit, lets leave.  And that, to me, is the scary part: we have gone from rational thought, to emotional thought, to no thought at all.  They deserve to have their idiocy pointed out to them.

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, jonb2 said:

I agree Hairy.

Russia is winning the info war, they learned from the USSR fall. They undermined trust in experts and planted the far right ideology.  

The USA reminds me of the late Soviet Union, with Trump being a new Yeltsin.  

HOLA4421
3 hours ago, HairyOb1 said:

Mine are real, yours imagined.  I was working in London the other day and on going out to Lunch, could have chosen from hundreds of different cuisines, probably more.  In the 80's when I first moved to London, I could have chosen about 10

I really can’t be bothered.. but I will have a quick go.. fgm is about 7000 known cases last year, there the ones where medical intervention was required after botched surgery.. I’m sure the number is much higher.. 100% nothing to do with British culture.. completely imported problem. 

Islamic terrorists, As far as I know they are the first to blow themselves up, normally planted devices was the way things were done by other groups.. this shows they are willing to go to extremes far beyond anything any other terrorist group would try.. imagine blowing up a nuclear device, or releasing a chemical weapon on a large scale.. only a completely brain washed nutter would kill themselves and 100’000’s of others.. the ira would do a car bomb, these guys would go much further than that.. again 100% imported problem.. 

We are living in a time where this stupidity is creating dangers that are not yet realised, where rape gangs operate aparently from what I’ve read also a cultural issue with how women are seen in society originating from Pakistan.. in India women have to be transpoted in busses to protect them from rape..People dont understand the difficulty of this mass importation of cultures.. people don’t change just because they live somewhere else.. they bring their ideology and upbringing with them.. that’s why 1000’s of innocent girls were rapped in Rotherham and Telford , why 9/11 twin towers were blown up, and 4 planes crashed killing innocent people.. because we are not aloud to question what people really are.. 

There is a website showing world terror attacks, in the Middle East it is truly alarming, averaging more than one attack every single day! If we continue to import this type of people you can expect the same thing here in the future.. it’s truly killing British people just so we can say how diverse we and accepting we are.. it’s ridiculous.. The girls that died in Manchester arena because of this stupidity..  

i want “0” immigration, I see no benefit to QUALITY of living.. simple as that.. since 70% of the population are just about managing what exactly have we got to lose when life is already a complete joke.. nothing.. we are £2 trillion in debt and heading for collapse, nothing to do with Brexit, this was already going to happen.. 

Hard Brexit.. EU collapses.. bring it on! 

HOLA4422
7 hours ago, macca13 said:

FGM

acid attacks

gun and knife crime

honour killings

child expoitation gangs. Raping 1000’s of girls because the police were too worried about being called racist. 

Terrorists 

community segregation

diseases

translator costs

implementation of integration policies and positive discrimination against British people. 

Environmrntal impact

longer travel times to work reducing family time

Colapsing public services.. 

if I put enough thought into it I’m sure I could make a few pages on the subject! 

Jesus wept.

Brexit is gonna save Macca from FGM.

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4423
2 hours ago, macca13 said:

I really can’t be bothered.. but I will have a quick go.. fgm is about 7000 known cases last year, there the ones where medical intervention was required after botched surgery.. I’m sure the number is much higher.. 100% nothing to do with British culture.. completely imported problem. 

Islamic terrorists, As far as I know they are the first to blow themselves up, normally planted devices was the way things were done by other groups.. this shows they are willing to go to extremes far beyond anything any other terrorist group would try.. imagine blowing up a nuclear device, or releasing a chemical weapon on a large scale.. only a completely brain washed nutter would kill themselves and 100’000’s of others.. the ira would do a car bomb, these guys would go much further than that.. again 100% imported problem.. 

We are living in a time where this stupidity is creating dangers that are not yet realised, where rape gangs operate aparently from what I’ve read also a cultural issue with how women are seen in society originating from Pakistan.. in India women have to be transpoted in busses to protect them from rape..People dont understand the difficulty of this mass importation of cultures.. people don’t change just because they live somewhere else.. they bring their ideology and upbringing with them.. that’s why 1000’s of innocent girls were rapped in Rotherham and Telford , why 9/11 twin towers were blown up, and 4 planes crashed killing innocent people.. because we are not aloud to question what people really are.. 

There is a website showing world terror attacks, in the Middle East it is truly alarming, averaging more than one attack every single day! If we continue to import this type of people you can expect the same thing here in the future.. it’s truly killing British people just so we can say how diverse we and accepting we are.. it’s ridiculous.. The girls that died in Manchester arena because of this stupidity..  

i want “0” immigration, I see no benefit to QUALITY of living.. simple as that.. since 70% of the population are just about managing what exactly have we got to lose when life is already a complete joke.. nothing.. we are £2 trillion in debt and heading for collapse, nothing to do with Brexit, this was already going to happen.. 

:rolleyes:

HOLA4424
8 hours ago, dugsbody said:

The really crazy thing is that what most of these people want, if they could express it that way, is a more European Britain (i.e. more white and less multicultural).  Leaving the European Union in order to become Global Britain is the exact opposite of that.

Edited by thecrashingisles

HOLA4425
5 hours ago, macca13 said:

In summary you think the solution to protect us from alien cultures is to destroy our own political institutions?