House Price Crash Forum

Abandoned, Derelict, Covered In Graffiti And Rubbish: What Is Left Of Athens' £9billion Olympic 'glory'

lufc

HOLA441
HOLA442

Its very odd the Olympics has become such a humongous event in itself, the sports in it are really not very popular. If the Olympics were truly worthwhile it would be funded privately, not to the tune of billions by government. One day people will realise the interest doesn't match the scale. Probably in 2012. :lol:

HOLA443

Well, I think something will be made of some of the London Olympics infrastructure but I think it too will go through a 'Dome period' when nobody really knows what to do. But I wonder if the London Olympics will ever actually be held.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Me too. I sometimes think the best option would be simply to tell the IOC it has all been a ghastly mistake and perhaps they ought to hold the event in Paris after all.

That would actually be very very funny. The Olympics didn't happen because someone was so busy in the think tank developing great concepts that they forgot to build the stadium.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Its very odd the Olympics has become such a humongous event in itself, the sports in it are really not very popular. If the Olympics were truly worthwhile it would be funded privately, not to the tune of billions by government. One day people will realise the interest doesn't match the scale. Probably in 2012. :lol:

The Olympics are just a great cash-cow and party for the World's elite at the tax-payer's expense IMPO.

HOLA4410

I don't like intruding on national self-flagellation - it is one of Britain's favourite sports after all. However, it does need to be pointed out that there are a few differences in the way we're going about the Olympics compared to Greece.

The stadium is effectively a temporary structure. Once the Olympics are over, most of it will be taken down leaving a 25,000 seater athletics track which is viable for future athletics events. Same goes for the other venues. Consider the Manchester velodrome as an example of a successfully reused venue. That said, it's obviously very wasteful to spend £millions on a temporary structure.

The stratford site has been earmarked for development since the early 90s, which is why the high speed rail link was routed through it and why the DLR is being extended to it. It was going to be developed anyway, so most of the infrastructure would have gone in at some point, and will be effectively re-used.

This is not to say that the Olympics aren't a huge waste of time and money, btw.

HOLA4411
I don't like intruding on national self-flagellation - it is one of Britain's favourite sports after all. However, it does need to be pointed out that there are a few differences in the way we're going about the Olympics compared to Greece.

Will the stadium ever get built ?

I have a horrible feeling that we will have it all finished in time for the 2016 Olympics.

As has already been stated the Olympics is a vanity project for the world elites and a show case for sports that most people do not want to watch.

Edited by up2nogood

HOLA4412

The stadium is effectively a temporary structure.

you spend all that money for temp strutures says a lot.

HOLA4413
That would actually be very very funny. The Olympics didn't happen because someone was so busy in the think tank developing great concepts that they forgot to build the stadium.

That's effectively what happened with the Dome. The venue was a great piece of design and construction but most of the interior resembled a corporate sponsored trade fair and was utter crap as a result.

HOLA4414
That's effectively what happened with the Dome. The venue was a great piece of design and construction but most of the interior resembled a corporate sponsored trade fair and was utter crap as a result.

Yeah. I always thought that spending millions of pounds building a building for one year was an incredible feat of arrogance and short sighted waste. But mostly arrogance to be able to justify spending tax payers' money in that way. But it is still there just not doing much. I mean why build a building to celebrate a particular year? What is that about? THat is when I really know we have reached the self indulgent phaze of the civilisation (just before the fall) There was so much potential.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Well, I think something will be made of some of the London Olympics infrastructure but I think it too will go through a 'Dome period' when nobody really knows what to do. But I wonder if the London Olympics will ever actually be held.

I guess that they signed on the dotted line so it will have to go ahead. Problem is though that in 4 years time the cost if Wembley is anything to go by will have spiralled xfold and Osbourne & co will have nothing but negative numbers left in the kitty ... maybe a few UK Olympic bankers bonds will do the trick.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Blame Ken Livingstone for this, the man who squandered millions of taxpayers money. Just another way of channeling funds to Black groups.

Why do you equate the olympics to to funding Black groups? Is it because they are very good at running?

Edited by mbga9pgf