House Price Crash Forum

The New Asceticism

juvenal

HOLA441

Anyone else catch a strand on 5 Live this morning to do with cutting down expenses, and tips for cheap living?

Someone emailed in to state that since last Xmas, excluding rent, utilities and food, they had spent precisely three pounds seventy five pence.

Is anyone else taking part in this extraordinary new asceticism, or all you all still spending like there's no dark tomorrow coming?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Anyone else catch a strand on 5 Live this morning to do with cutting down expenses, and tips for cheap living?

Someone emailed in to state that since last Xmas, excluding rent, utilities and food, they had spent precisely three pounds seventy five pence.

Is anyone else taking part in this extraordinary new asceticism, or all you all still spending like there's no dark tomorrow coming?

I could probably state I'm in the club. Despite essentials, all my money has been filtered off into savings.

Some take it way further and use the food supermarkets chuck out - Most of it is fine to eat and well in date, apparently.

Edited by hostman

HOLA443

If I didn't support my local pub I'd be more or less on zero outgoings.

My local brews its own beer and is a community - something this government can't understand about non-urban non-alcopop pubs where nobody ever gets drunk, just enjoys a relaxing drink and free association. I consider my two pints a night to be a tax I'm happy to pay for a decent quality of life.

Oh, and I go to a (non-chain) coffee shop most lunchtimes. If I didn't I'd save £30 a month - but it's all about quality of life.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Somewhere in the middle, we are doing work on the house and the little people insist on growing.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Many people did this in Japan during the 90's and probably still do it. It was (is?) called 'The Bimbo Game.'

'Bimbo' means 'poor' and 'game' means 'game'.....maybe you guessed the game bit.

Treating it like a game is a good idea I think.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

More or less in that club myself. Why do I want any more plastic crud than what I already have?

HOLA4411

well, i dont spend lavishly and have kurbed alot,

i pay for fuel to and from work - i very rarely do any other driving anymore, i only see my G/F on weekends now, which saves me 1/3 of a tank per week

i have paid half for a weekend break to london atthe end of this month, but 1 day of that is free due to free tickets found on the web and using National Express at thats £14 return each (alot cheaper than driving/parking etc)

i've bought no music, no films, i go out 1 time a month to the pub and have a meal.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest An Bearin Bui

Every time I hear or read these media features about saving money I have to laugh as it's just the story of my life so far. They always come out with the same old tips : make a menu plan before going to the supermarket, cut down on eating out, freeze leftovers blah blah blah like these are radical new concepts for most people. Has none of the MEW-numpties and credit card addicts ever had to budget or plan their finances before?

Anyone with sense could have seen this economic crisis looming on the horizon for a long time by now. The economy never really sorted itself out since 2001 and has basically been fuelled by the economic equivalent of a can of coke and a pop-tart for the last few years rather than real nutrition i.e. productive economic activity.

HOLA4414
Every time I hear or read these media features about saving money I have to laugh as it's just the story of my life so far. They always come out with the same old tips : make a menu plan before going to the supermarket, cut down on eating out, freeze leftovers blah blah blah like these are radical new concepts for most people. Has none of the MEW-numpties and credit card addicts ever had to budget or plan their finances before?

Anyone with sense could have seen this economic crisis looming on the horizon for a long time by now. The economy never really sorted itself out since 2001 and has basically been fuelled by the economic equivalent of a can of coke and a pop-tart for the last few years rather than real nutrition i.e. productive economic activity.

I guess credit cards and MEW made them forget that you shouldn't just waste things. At Uni I lived on pasta with herbs and butter and cheap sausages about five days a week, only venturing into something more exotic (like a pizza or curry) at the weekend. Even now our fridge is continually full of stuff we bought at the end of its date and put in the freezer. It helps that we live about 5 minutes walk from sainsburys and you can always get masses of cheap stuff if you go in there about 20 minutes before closing time. Last week I got six packs of bacon for £1.20.

HOLA4415

I also. I've been living the frugal life for about ten years now, when I realised it was the only way to stay solvent and save for the future on an average salary and 9-5 work in the UK. I have to laugh at this business of people shopping at Lidl as if it's some great hardship; real frugality involves what Amy Dacyzyn, author of The Tightwad Gazette calls 'creative deprivation' - eg, learning that making do with less is actually more enjoyable than gorging. So I do stuff like eat home made produce and drink home made wine etc and actually prefer it now.

I find it hard to see how someone could only spend £3 something in six months though...I'd love to see their budget plan!

HOLA4416
i pay for fuel to and from work - i very rarely do any other driving anymore, i only see my G/F on weekends now, which saves me 1/3 of a tank per week

That is the saddest thing I have read on here. Honestly, £20 a week. Frankly I suggest you bin her and find a closer g/f because with an attitude like that she'll bin you soon enough.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
That is the saddest thing I have read on here. Honestly, £20 a week. Frankly I suggest you bin her and find a closer g/f because with an attitude like that she'll bin you soon enough.

I was going to say, surely the whole point in having a girlfriend is that you enjoy spending time with them. And not to be too crude but surely spending a bit on petrol is easily worth all the wonderful things you can enjoy together? I mean, he may save on petrol but I bet he spends a fortune on kleenex.

HOLA4419

Myself and Ms Ursus have been doing this for the best part of the last 6 years. Living together for the weekends and going on plenty of holidays. In the same time we have had plenty of time to concentrate on both careers and are now planning on our first home once prices come back to reality.

Welcome to life as generation X who got left behind with all the monopoly money sloshing around. :angry:

This unfortunately has been the only way to live & SAVE to setup our edit: "future" home! :unsure:

Edited by Ursus

HOLA4420

'with an attitude like that she'll bin you soon enough'?

Surely a decent woman looks on a man as more than a wallet at one end, and a willy at the other?

Isn't the ideal woman one who will support and celebrate your closefistedness with a pound? Even outdo you in penny pinching?

Are such women out there? I hope so.

Come on, ladies - back me up here!

HOLA4421
I guess credit cards and MEW made them forget that you shouldn't just waste things. At Uni I lived on pasta with herbs and butter and cheap sausages about five days a week, only venturing into something more exotic (like a pizza or curry) at the weekend. Even now our fridge is continually full of stuff we bought at the end of its date and put in the freezer. It helps that we live about 5 minutes walk from sainsburys and you can always get masses of cheap stuff if you go in there about 20 minutes before closing time. Last week I got six packs of bacon for £1.20.

Do you eat your 5 a day?

HOLA4422
I also. I've been living the frugal life for about ten years now, when I realised it was the only way to stay solvent and save for the future on an average salary and 9-5 work in the UK. I have to laugh at this business of people shopping at Lidl as if it's some great hardship; real frugality involves what Amy Dacyzyn, author of The Tightwad Gazette calls 'creative deprivation' - eg, learning that making do with less is actually more enjoyable than gorging. So I do stuff like eat home made produce and drink home made wine etc and actually prefer it now.

I find it hard to see how someone could only spend £3 something in six months though...I'd love to see their budget plan!

Thanks for bringing this valuable publication - The Tightwad Gazette - to the notice of HPC'ers. My wife says disposable razors are meant to be used only once. I've had 37 shaves from a single one, although it's getting to be a painful, even dangerous process.

Any tips for sharpening doisposable razors?

HOLA4423
Thanks for bringing this valuable publication - The Tightwad Gazette - to the notice of HPC'ers. My wife says disposable razors are meant to be used only once. I've had 37 shaves from a single one, although it's getting to be a painful, even dangerous process.

Any tips for sharpening doisposable razors?

Sadly Boots have ended their 'basics' range with razors at 33p a pack. Fortunately I've got a stock.

37 times ain't bad, I'm not sure how many tmes I use one but guess I use 1 pack a year as a bit of stubble is OK in my job.

HOLA4424

Personal favourites are those articles by Sunday broadsheet journos who've just caught on that cutting down and making do are newly fashionable topics.

Trouble is, they have about as much idea about what these really mean as I have about nuclear physics.

Hence they give recipes for 'leftovers' that contain 20 ingredients, only one of which could conceivably be anything lurking at the back of the fridge.

Still, jolly good to use up your leftover carrots, even if it means popping to Waitrose for goat's cheese and a pot of organic tamarind paste.

HOLA4425
Personal favourites are those articles by Sunday broadsheet journos who've just caught on that cutting down and making do are newly fashionable topics.

Trouble is, they have about as much idea about what these really mean as I have about nuclear physics.

Hence they give recipes for 'leftovers' that contain 20 ingredients, only one of which could conceivably be anything lurking at the back of the fridge.

Still, jolly good to use up your leftover carrots, even if it means popping to Waitrose for goat's cheese and a pot of organic tamarind paste.

Like the thread I posted with the link to the Telegraph article about saving money by growing your own vegetables. Bargain. They listed a really nice house costing £850,000 though...