Black Monday

HOLA441
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
This is the first time I've posted a black day post but I think this time there is a real possibility of a very bad day for the markets on Monday.

What do you think?

Is it 100% guaranteed?

We've had posts on here that says the Dow is crashing, but it's still up on last year.

We've had posts here that say the pound is crashing against the dollar, it's actuallly coming off 26 year highs.

The best prediction when it comes to the wider economy is to use Evanomics;

"Well it maybe be looking bad but there again maybe not, there are some pressures in the economy but there are good signs too, blah, blah, blah"

Only one thing is certain, we've had a house price bubble, it's bursting

HOLA444
Is it 100% guaranteed?

We've had posts on here that says the Dow is crashing, but it's still up on last year.

We've had posts here that say the pound is crashing against the dollar, it's actuallly coming off 26 year highs.

"Well it maybe be looking bad but there again maybe not, there are some pressures in the economy but there are good signs too, blah, blah, blah"

Naah, i reckon rebound, then, midweek, another Sh*tload of bad news followed by end of next week finishing on the same level as now.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Another Black Monday forcast???? :lol:

At the moment there seem to be two parallel economic outlooks - impending doom and resuming boom! There are lots of reduced price house ads in the papers yet builders seem to be marching on with new housing schemes. I get to hear about new schemes coming up to start of work - there seems to be no let-up in these yet.

I've said before - when we start to hear about lots of builders cancelling projects, we know there's a slump. Of course, even in a boom, the occasional scheme will be cancelled because of other factors like unforeseen expenses or a partner pulling out etc.

Edited by conifer

HOLA448
HOLA449
builders seem to be marching on with new housing schemes. I get to hear about new schemes coming up to start of work - there seems to be no let-up in these yet.

They are businesses and it's a slow process. Having got to the stage of having planning permission, they need to at least get the foundations down so they can mothball the site.

As for the rest, they have to soldier on "business as usual" and at least complete what they've started because you can't easily sell half finished houses. And they have bank loans and shareholders to service. So they at least need to come to a dignified closure.

If you consider yourself as a business, if you think your company are going under do you just stop going to work? No, you go in, do what you can and see what happens. Same for them. You can't just give up and go home or jack it in so easily.

HOLA4410
If you consider yourself as a business, if you think your company are going under do you just stop going to work? No, you go in, do what you can and see what happens. Same for them. You can't just give up and go home or jack it in so easily.

from my exp people in this position begin to drain off cash from the business as fast as they can, then go bust, or change all assets into someone elses name.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Is it 100% guaranteed?

This is true. The only certainty IS the ongoing collapse of housing bubbles wherever they have occured.

In the wake of big HPCs comes the certainty of collateral damage. Recession. Recessions are not always a disaster for stocks that tend to be forward looking anyway. If we are just going to get a recession and nothing worse I can see the DOW down to around 11,000 but not much below that. FTSE should see a slightly worse drop as the collateral HPC damage here will be worse here than in the States given our much higher prices to wage ratios and the fact that our miracle economy is much more service industry dependent.

The other certainty with regard to currencies is that sterling is falling sharply vs. the Euro and will continue to drop vs. the US$ in the medium to longer term as the HPC gets worse here and the market realises the collateral damage is going to be worse than in the US.

The BIG question is what follows the HPC? Inflation of Deflation? Is cash or gold going to be the ultimate ruler of the earth?

Only 2 certain crashing items: UK house prices and Sterling.

HOLA4415
Another Black Monday forcast???? :lol:

At the moment there seem to be two parallel economic outlooks - impending doom and resuming boom! There are lots of reduced price house ads in the papers yet builders seem to be marching on with new housing schemes. I get to hear about new schemes coming up to start of work - there seems to be no let-up in these yet.

I've said before - when we start to hear about lots of builders cancelling projects, we know there's a slump. Of course, even in a boom, the occasional scheme will be cancelled because of other factors like unforeseen expenses or a partner pulling out etc.

In light of the recent changes with deposits required to obtain a mortgage, I expect builders will do pretty well in the near future. I expect many FTBs without a significant deposit will be attracted to the '5% deals' on new builds.

HOLA4416

Monday's outcome belongs to the japanese housewife ;)

If she freaks out about her next sushi going the way of the dollar, Tokyo will tank and so will Europe (it's got some catching up to do with the Dow anyway).

The only thing I am fairly confident about is that short of a _proper_ crash, Helicopter Ben won't be able to lower rates before the next FOMC meet. The Dow is trading without the sort of instant Bernanke put it's enjoyed the past few months.

Then again, the japanese housewife might have had great sex over the weekend, and everything will shoot up. What do I know? :lol:

HOLA4417
Is it 100% guaranteed?

The Dow isn't especially up

http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/quotes/in...eq=1&time=9

In last 6 months is strongly down.

We have bear market regardless of coming Black Monday or not coming, bad news, lack of liquidity consistently drags markets anyway. They will go up and down but in longer term will head down, together with house prices.

HOLA4418

If she freaks out about her next sushi going the way of the dollar, Tokyo will tank and so will Europe (it's got some catching up to do with the Dow anyway).

The only thing I am fairly confident about is that short of a _proper_ crash, Helicopter Ben won't be able to lower rates before the next FOMC meet. The Dow is trading without the sort of instant Bernanke put it's enjoyed the past few months.

Then again, the japanese housewife might have had great sex over the weekend, and everything will shoot up. What do I know? :lol:

Is it true that every Japanese housewife has a schoolgirl uniform in their closet?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I was thinking it had been a while since the last black Monday thread...

I think if ever there was a Monday that should be black - it should be this one... for no other reason than it's the Labour conference this weekend, and presumably Gordo should be reasonably easy to track down on Monday for a response... unless, of course there is a mysterious need to suddenly disappear to see the flower growers being given a fair wage in Africa or somesuch...

It's crazy - there's been very little real news (despite all the financial turmoil) for the last few weeks, and Gordo has seemingly disappeared - it's time things started to happen that can't be swept under the carpet, and time the Prime Minister bothered to respond :angry:

HOLA4421
The Dow isn't especially up

http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/quotes/in...eq=1&time=9

In last 6 months is strongly down.

All this proves is that we are choosing our time parameters to 'prove' our arguments :rolleyes: My point is that the only certainty IMHO is that houseprices will go down in the next few years, the dow? the dollar? Up over the last year, 26 year high, crashing in the last 6 months, pound is crashing against the dollar in the last few months, we're all doomed, it won't be that bad, maybe, maybe not.

Take your pick, none of us know what the wider economy will do in the next few years, 100% guaranteed.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
My point is that the only certainty IMHO is that houseprices will go down in the next few years.

Take your pick, none of us know what the wider economy will do in the next few years, 100% guaranteed.

Agreed with the latter but with houseprices who knows? In this country the housing market is just as speculative as the stock market.

HOLA4424

Not very much about Japanese housewives from the sounds of it!

HOLA4425