House Price Crash Forum

It's Gone Sour - Lemons Up From 19p To 23p

0q0

HOLA441

Last winter there were peaches in Sainsbury for 79p each :blink:

Its much better to get inflation busting payrises on top of a good salary than shop around for frickin' bananas.

Isn't it?

Who would disagree with you?

Thxs for mentioning peaches. I'd forgotten I have a tree full on the second terrace.

So more toil picking, + brain power used up deciding what to do with them.

It never stops ....

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Who would disagree with you?

Thxs for mentioning peaches. I'd forgotten I have a tree full on the second terrace.

So more toil picking, + brain power used up deciding what to do with them.

It never stops ....

You should add fruit abuse to your list of interests...

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Just eat junk food.

Portion of chips at the local chippy 50p, same price as long as i can remember.

Cheapest burger chips and drink at burger king £1.99, cheaper than it was 5 years ago (£2.14)

Lots of as much as you want to eat buffets around a fiver.

Dominos doing pizza offers - £5.99 instead of £15.99 at the moment.

Needless to say, i havent been cooking much lately.

HOLA447

Cheap baked beans, porridge & tinned custard (must get a truck full next trip, if i'm allowed in)

I miss custard too, I'm in China. But I hear it's easy to make and the home made custard I've tried before was actually nicer/ fresher tasting than the tinned stuff which they pack with sugar to cover up it's age.

I'm so jealous! I loved the Dominos pizza in the UK it's nothing like that in other countries. I've been all over Asia and lived in Australia and not found pizzas as nice as Dominos in the UK, the Dominos in the aforementioned countries suck!

Papa John's comes close to being as good.

Dominos pizza is the only thing I would fly back to the UK to eat, can someone help me out by pointing out if there is an 'official' Dominos restaurant in Asia somewhere e.g. Hong Kong, China or Japan? I don't think there's any in China even franchise ones.

HOLA448

Ahh that thread killing knack.

I shall be running expensive courses on it over the winter with guaranteed results.

Payment will be in PMs of course, or PM backed paper

I'm the thread killer (extraordinaire) - but right now I'm really enjoying just sitting back and viewing this really witty thread.

(That was it - my kiss of death.)

HOLA449

One solution to rising food prices - Eat less!

Most people consume far too much, including myself. Sticking to a fixed food budget every month in an inflationary period would be one way to diet. Obviously that solution has it's time limits, but when you look at the expensive junk most people are putting in their shopping trolleys, there is plenty of scope for saving money and eating better.

HOLA4410

Just eat junk food.

Portion of chips at the local chippy 50p, same price as long as i can remember.

Cheapest burger chips and drink at burger king £1.99, cheaper than it was 5 years ago (£2.14)

Lots of as much as you want to eat buffets around a fiver.

Needless to say, i havent been cooking much lately.

Ahh yes, the sweet aroma of offal burgers and processed rotten potatoes... mmmmmmmm

HOLA4411

One solution to rising food prices - Eat less!

Most people consume far too much, including myself. Sticking to a fixed food budget every month in an inflationary period would be one way to diet. Obviously that solution has it's time limits, but when you look at the expensive junk most people are putting in their shopping trolleys, there is plenty of scope for saving money and eating better.

I read somewhere that about 1/3 of the food we buy gets wasted, and our bodies only need about one third of the amount we actually do eat.

Inflation in food prices just won't get noticed by most people, because the typical British shopper seems to spend most of their time piling stuff into their trolley willy-nilly, shouting at likkle Courtney to get out from under the trolley, talking on the mobile and leaning into the freezer asking their other half what brand of lollies they want, then whacking the whole lot onto the credit card. They're hardly likely to notice or care that lemons have gone up by a few pence.

The idea of planning what food they need, making a list, comparing prices and shopping for bargains just wouldn't occur to most people. I think a lot of people don't grasp the concept of percentages anyway. Eg I complained at work that my budget barbers had put the price of a haircut up from £5 to £7. 'Two whole pounds!' laughed a colleague. The fact that it was a 40% increase didn't seem to matter!

HOLA4412

Orange juice up from 57p a litre to 88p a litre in past 12 months.

Milk up from 32p to 40p a pint "

Lemons up from 19p to 23p each "

Fuel up what is it 10-12% "

But of course, who needs orange juice, milk or lemons? They're really niche items.

What we all need is running shoes every week. So don't worry, you can buy a pair of sweatshop-made trainers for £4.99

Inflation - a problem of the past of course.

People need to get it into their heads that as the world consumes more and demand for meat etc in Asia spirals the Wesstern world is going to have to dig deep for their share of the 'pie'. I can't see this being any different in 15 years unless we figure out how to produce more of our own food in LESS space for MORE people.

Monetary inflation is different and will come shortly

• 2 months later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Prices always go up in the run in to xmas. Market prices actually seem quite stable - only mugs shop in supermarkets (oooh finest brand blah, blah, blah ...... sucker! - get of your fat **** and cook it yourself, and then you will know what finest is) - their message of cheap and quality, could not be further from the truth. Market prices went up about a year ago - and not withstanding normal seasonal adjustments, seem pretty stable.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Orange juice up from 57p a litre to 88p a litre in past 12 months.

Milk up from 32p to 40p a pint "

Lemons up from 19p to 23p each "

Fuel up what is it 10-12% "

But of course, who needs orange juice, milk or lemons? They're really niche items.

What we all need is running shoes every week. So don't worry, you can buy a pair of sweatshop-made trainers for £4.99

Inflation - a problem of the past of course.

gold up 15%

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I've got some Wahl clippers, had them about a year and have given myself and my boys probably half a dozen haircuts each.

So that's saved about £20 per trip to the barbers by the time you factor in car parking and petrol, I think they cost £15. Plus it saves an hour or so in time.

I cut my boys' hair on a longer grade, 6 I think and although shedloads of hair end up getting hoovered off of the floor afterwards they don't even look as though they have had a haircut afterwards, there's no razored edges etc.

HOLA4422

Those hens have not had a healthy, happy, beaked or feathered life for £2.80 for 12 eggs. :(

Is £2.80 too cheap? The battery hen ones still seem to be well under £1 for 12. I buy local free range eggs for £1.25 for 6. (Gone up 5p in recent weeks)

HOLA4423

Is £2.80 too cheap? The battery hen ones still seem to be well under £1 for 12. I buy local free range eggs for £1.25 for 6. (Gone up 5p in recent weeks)

Probably be cheaper at the farm shop but I have here 6 large "Nature's Nest" Free Range eggs that came from Morrison's and they were £1.63.

I've had a look at the website and traced the farm they come from and they are genuine Free Range eggs which come from chickens which live outdoors during daylight hours, I believe there is a fairly wide specification for the term "Free Range" and some chickens so described do not live a much better life than a caged bird.

HOLA4424

I find certain food stuff like lemons and walnuts always go up around Christmas time....in parts of southern Europe oranges and lemons drop to the ground to rot....not economical to pick and transport...you could say the same in this country about apples, plumbs and pears. ;)

HOLA4425

Probably be cheaper at the farm shop but I have here 6 large "Nature's Nest" Free Range eggs that came from Morrison's and they were £1.63.

I've had a look at the website and traced the farm they come from and they are genuine Free Range eggs which come from chickens which live outdoors during daylight hours, I believe there is a fairly wide specification for the term "Free Range" and some chickens so described do not live a much better life than a caged bird.

Yes, the term has the potential to be bit of a con about the conditions the animals are kept in, similar to 'outdoor bred' on meat which doesn't mean the same thing as 'outdoor reared'. I was looking at the RSPCA's Freedom Foods animal welfare scheme and although the animal tended to have better conditions, i.e. more space, some stimulation and different feed to caged/battery reared animals they weren't exactly free to roam.

Archived