House Price Crash Forum

It's Gone Sour - Lemons Up From 19p To 23p

0q0

HOLA441
Guest CrashTestDummy
according to ex poster Bruno, bananas have gone RIGHT up recently.....

(as are oranges and hammers and screwdrivers)

You forgot umbrella's. :blink:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Lemons now 26p - less than 2 weeks later another 10% on. Just 23p a week ago. Just 19p a few weeks ago.

So that's 19p then 23p then 26p.

Just made more jam with mine.

Falling off the trees they were.

It's the unseasonable heat that does it.

DIG FOR VICTORY. (I had to, aged 3. Child labour didn't hurt me.......just Nu Labour)

HOLA445

DIG FOR VICTORY. (I had to, aged 3. Child labour didn't hurt me.......just Nu Labour)

YOU ARE MRS THATCHER!

Welcome to our humble forum milady Thatch!

HOLA446

The juice diluted is pretty good for you if had fresh, it's anionic. (seriously) But not too much of it, I should add.

Right I must tell myself not to get in a panic about food prices, our wonderful government will save us, am now going to slap myself several times and then let the queue waiting to do the same have their turn.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Yum. Lemon jam. Send us some will ya Laura? ;)

I'd be a bit careful there, Crash. It may not be quite what you're expecting. :)

They make "jam" out of carrots and things out there, there was the mother-and-father of a Euro-regulations hoo-ha over it a few years back, IIRC.

HOLA4411
Guest CrashTestDummy
I'd be a bit careful there, Crash. It may not be quite what you're expecting. :)

They make "jam" out of carrots and things out there, there was the mother-and-father of a Euro-regulations hoo-ha over it a few years back, IIRC.

Carrot jam will be fine as well. :blink:

Give me all your jam people! :angry:

HOLA4412

... and I'll be buying lemons, cheap at any price.

Around this time of year we are subject to terrifying manifestations of an evil old woman, claiming to be one of Peach's ancestors or something, although Peach has severe doubts on that score.

The thing lives on ciggies and gin, claims it was the trauma of the Lord Erroll affair (still a fervent admirer of his chum Oswald), or that Simpson woman or something that caused her to take up this miracle diet.

If there's no lemons, well ... going outside and pouring a gallon of unleaded over meself, while flicking the Bic would be an attractive option ... :ph34r:

HOLA4413

You are referring to the dodgy veg. oil scam in Spain? - It only killed a few hundred people.... No, I'll stop there as I was going for Bliar & the Iraq deaths he is responsible for karmically. Now I didn't say it, did I? No, good. That would be totally out of place here

I hate to say this, but we have our own olives too, sorry.

& peaches

&....never mind

The oranges were poor this year :(

Me? I'm just a peasant

HOLA4414
Guest CrashTestDummy

& peaches

&....never mind

Me? I'm just a peasant

Now you're just showing off. :rolleyes:

HOLA4415
You are referring to the dodgy veg. oil scam in Spain? - It only killed a few hundred people.... No, I'll stop there as I was going for Bliar & the Iraq deaths he is responsible for karmically. Now I didn't say it, did I? No, good. That would be totally out of place here

& peaches

&....never mind

Me? I'm just a peasant

Look lady, dont keep harping on about Portugal this Portugal that, we got good things here you know,

we got:

well and theres:

not forgetting:

see!

HOLA4416
You are referring to the dodgy veg. oil scam in Spain? - It only killed a few hundred people....

Bloody hell, no! Where the ... what the .. talk about left-field! I didn't see that one coming. :lol:

That was a disgusting tragedy, engineered by "entrepreneurs". In a different country.

I mean jam. Made out of carrots.

In the field of product standardisation, the Commission's initial approach was to devise absurdly detailed regulations, most of which were blocked in the Council of Ministers. A less intrusive method was made possible by the 1979 Cassis de Dijon case, in which the Court of Justice forbade Germany to ban the marketing of a French liqueur which failed to match German standards of alcoholic content. This decision established the principle of 'mutual recognition', enabling products that are legal in one member state to be sold in any other (before the Cassis de Dijon judgment, the Commission had been obliged to redefine the carrot as a fruit to allow Portuguese carrot jam to be marketed in the Community).

[edited, out of curiosity]

HOLA4417
see!

I do indeed. Thank you for pointing them out :lol:

You missed NW Scotland, Easter 1971. One week of sun & heat. It never happened again :(

Cheap secondhand cars

50s 60s British Hi-Fi

Kingsway Hall, London .............. demolished.

Cheap baked beans, porridge & tinned custard (must get a truck full next trip, if i'm allowed in)

Car boot sales

Cottees Auction Rooms. Wareham Dorset

See, I do miss the place....even if there is no place to park & then only for 29mins & 58 secs :angry: .... Oh don't start Laura

HOLA4418

...BREAKING NEWS.....BREAKING NEWS......BREAKING NEWS...... LEMONS NOW UP A FURTHER 10% ON THE DAY.......UNCONFIRMED REPORTS SUGGEST.......

Unconfirmed reports from Tigs on the other thread that LEMONS are up to 29p in Tesco stores. She did not elaborate on whether these were Tesco Metros or main Tesco branches. Will bring you more on this breaking news as soon as I get it.

Lemon price timeline

19p.......23p........................26p............29p

Nov - - - -Dec 1- - - - -Dec 12 am- - - - -Dec 12 11pm

source: LemonStats

HOLA4419
in the 70's they had one sticky price label stuck over the previous price sticky labels, so you could just peel them off one at a time, and see how much stuff had gone up recently.

Aye, and then there was a run on sticky price labels.

Has anyone else noticed that Argos has all the air of a pre-Glasnost Moscow food shop. Whenever I've been in there and ordered something from a catalogue I fully expect to go home with three kilos of root vegetables rather than my latest fashion must-have

( Hot Gems Silver Pink Cubic Zirconia Bracelet. 222/8990) as you asked...

HOLA4420

I've been out today doing some shopping.

Busiest supermarket by far : Asda

And guess what, yes the lemons are just 23p there.

Still a rise on the 19p of a month ago, but compared to other supermarkets it seems this is the best deal.

However, at a market I saw a bag of 8 or so small-ish lemons for £1.

That concludes this lemon update. Goodnight.

HOLA4421

Strange-every year around winter time when fruit and veg are OUT OF SEASON in this and neighbouring countries they become more expensive as they have to be shipped in from further and further afield. It's only this year everyone's making a song and dance about it-wintertime in the UK has always equalled more expensive fruit and veg it's nothing new ffs.

HOLA4422

Lemons are in season at the moment I think... they require sunnier climes often found nearer the equator line (south Africa, for example)... and places like Portugal. Also Seville oranges are at their peak in January (the marmalade making season) Lemons are one of the few fruits that should be relatively price stable all year round. I'm happy to be corrected on this though.

Waitrose lemons are cheaper than Tescos then - they were 24p each, and went beautifully with my 1.4kgs of Lemon sole fillets for £2.90... and people say Waitrose is expensive! (thank you Mr Fish Counter Man if you're reading!)

Asda on the other hand really are expensive - I saw that the pack of 4 bakery muffins which used to cost 98p now cost £1.60, and don't look quite as big either <_<

HOLA4423
Lemons are in season at the moment I think... they require sunnier climes often found nearer the equator line (south Africa, for example)... and places like Portugal. Also Seville oranges are at their peak in January (the marmalade making season) Lemons are one of the few fruits that should be relatively price stable all year round. I'm happy to be corrected on this though.

Waitrose lemons are cheaper than Tescos then - they were 24p each, and went beautifully with my 1.4kgs of Lemon sole fillets for £2.90... and people say Waitrose is expensive! (thank you Mr Fish Counter Man if you're reading!)

Asda on the other hand really are expensive - I saw that the pack of 4 bakery muffins which used to cost 98p now cost £1.60, and don't look quite as big either <_<

Thank you Mr Waitrose

HOLA4424

Waitingandsaving I would never buy 'fresh' fish from a supermarket fish counter as it goes in and out of the freezers at night from what Ive been told greatly increasing your chances of fish food poisoning (one of the least pleasant kinds of all) so you're better off buying the pre-packed/frozen stuff or gettin it from the fishman if you're lucky enough to have one.

And if you'd read what I said, yes lemons are in season-but from somewhere much further away hence greater shipping costs hence increase in price during winter months, it's not a new phenomenon :)

• 4 months later...
HOLA4425

And of course since this thread started last year, we've seen fuel rocket even further and, of course, lemons 28p each!

Now it's BAKED BEANS (sorry no need to shout) - small tin is up in the past 2 weeks from 23p to 26p at most supermarkets.

Bread, rice, eggs, wheat products - all up.

But don't worry inflation's down probably. Why? Because a a cyclone vacuum cleaner that you buy once in 5 years has been reduced from £90 to £60 in some stores.

And I just heard the chancer sorry I mean ex-chancellor say "economic downturn from the US...we'll avoid it or have much less effects than over there" or words to that effect on a tv interview. That's ok then, we're all saved.

Archived