House Price Crash Forum

Cadbury Factories Shed 700 Jobs

HOLA441

Just had an interesting experience re: "outsourcing."

Customer was paying a "US" web site design company $2000 a day.

But their developers and sysops kept messing things up on the server and dragging things out.

We were not allowed to talk to the actual guys doing the dev work by phone, being told they were on the "early shift."

A quick IP trace revealed the actual dev team were loggin in from Bulgarian IP's.

Thats the way to make money. Charge $2000 a day and use cheap East European developers and sysadmins!

HOLA442
HOLA443
i cant think of anything you could produce in the uk thats going to be cost effective to export.

they say we live from the banking sector, but all i can see in uk banking is a huge pile of denial and policies that cannot last much longer.

there is nothing substantial in this. the only way to balance the books was to increase hpi so people could spend it.

this policy has to come to an end eventually leaving nothing much else.

can anybody think of anything we make and export.

Spanish property buyers?

HOLA444
HOLA445
They come over here and nick all our jobs and then they go home and, um, nick all our jobs :lol:

I wonder if the Poles will mind if Brits start invading their country for work? That would be irony.

...we started it...... :lol:

Many may be surprised to know that past migrations have been mostly West to East, with Scots moving in droves to Poland. The Caledonian Society in Warsaw is one of the largest in the world. At the opening event in 1996, one brave man endured -20°C gales blowing up his kilt, while giving a warm welcome to guests outside the British Embassy. British Airways helped by flying in 50lbs of haggis and a Highland Dance Band complete with dancer. In 2006, Tom McCabe was Guest of Honour at the Society’s packed annual Ceilidh with 400 guests.

Old Relations

Historic links between Scotland and Poland can be traced back as far as the late Medieval period, when Scottish knights joined Teutonic knights on their Baltic Crusade.

For a time during the 17th century, Poland was the new America. Attracted by religious freedom and commercial opportunities, 40,000 enterprising Scots travelled over, including mercenaries who wanted to join Poland’s cavalry-dominated army as foot soldiers. Integration into Polish society was extensive. A Scot, Alexander Chalmer of Aberdeen, served four terms as mayor of Warsaw. Robert Gordon (1665-1731) made his fortune as a merchant in Gdansk and then established the institution that became the Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen.

The second major emigration took place in the 19th Century at the invitation of Polish nobility, when many Scottish engineers, farmers and craftsmen moved over.

http://www.friendsofscotland.gov.uk/scotla...and-poland.html

Edited by South Lorne

HOLA446
I now believe that, thanks to the profligate spending of nohpc, that Britain has a bright future ahead of it in terms of exports.

Even now he's busy saving up for a jar of British marmalade. Expect to see a spike in the FTSE when he next goes shopping.

I hear that Paddington has swithced to Marmite. This may be further good news for British Marmalade signalling the end of a bear market.

HOLA447
The 'infection' at the Cadbury factory nearby where I live was apparently caused by filter problems related to using cheaper imported milk from (you guessed it) Poland.

There's probably too many inspections in the UK for them to continue to operate, I suspect. Makes sense to move the lot to a part of the world that doesn't insist on inspecting the factory for cleanliness :(

FWIW - I gave up on chocolate ages ago because it makes you fat and spotty, which reduces the quality of your sex life. You can market it all you like, but at the end of the day it's just sweet-tasting brown stealth fat.

Buckers

Hmm have you got a link about 'apparently' the cause being 'milk from Poland' or is it one of those my-brothers-wifes-sister-inlaw has a friend that knows-the-postman who-delivers-mail-to-a-man who-works at the-Cadburys-factory. Assuming of course that we are talking about the same infection that was a national news story resulting in the recall of a million chocolate bars.

Its just that according to all the information I can find about it, the infection was caused by a leaking pipe, meaning that the Polish cows are being framed and here are the links that show they are innocent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Schwe...#_note-herepros

the company admitted charges relating to the state of a drainage pipe, a roof vent, the layout of the factory and drainage and disinfection equipment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/herefor...rcs/6265548.stm

HOLA448
The 'infection' at the Cadbury factory nearby where I live was apparently caused by filter problems related to using cheaper imported milk from (you guessed it) Poland.

Buckers

Well you hit the nail on the head there!

We import loads of foodstuffs/tinned/meat/fish from Africa/Asia/South America/Middle East/Caribean where they have hardly any controls on Pesticide use, hugely lax health quality controls and many 'fertilizers' in poorer countries are raw human sewage sprayed directly onto your veggies!

Those same pesticides are mostly banned in Europe/North America but were probably produced by Companies under a UK licence.

No wonder there are so much samonella outbreaks etc.

So they kill off businesses here only to allow imported grossly substandard foodstuffs back in.

That's UK Govt 'maniaconomics' for you! (new 'dictionary' word there for 1998 -_- )

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Eastern Block

Is that what they used to call 'Turkish' De_light ?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
At least I can still get some British HP sauce.

Err.... I don't think so. :o:P

http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/08/30/h...upplies-dry-up/

Supplies of Britain’s favourite brown sauce are drying up because of problems getting HP onto supermarket shelves since production was switched from Birmingham to Holland earlier this year

Edit: to say apologies if you were being sarcastic. ;)

Edited by bomberbrown

HOLA4413
Guest Bart of Darkness
Is that what they used to call 'Turkish' De_light ?

:lol::lol::lol:

Looks like Cadburys are giving their workers the finger.

Their Heroes are being laid off just in time for the credit crunchie.

Life on the dole sure ain't no Picnic.

There's a rumour (more of a Wispa really) that their CEO is a bit of a Flake.

HOLA4414
:lol::lol::lol:

Looks like Cadburys are giving their workers the finger.

Their Heroes are being laid off just in time for the credit crunchie.

Life on the dole sure ain't no Picnic.

There's a rumour (more of a Wispa really) that their CEO is a bit of a Flake.

B of D, you are the best, bar none.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Jag-LR will be next. My area is doomed, there is no future here for jobs or high house prices. It is too expensive to manufacture in a miracle economy where workers have to be paid "high" wages to afford to live here. From a company's perspective it makes no sense to keep the doors open in places like the UK or Ireland. We are now almost totally dependent on the City and if a bear market in M&A etc should occur the miracle will collapse overnight. Hang on...................... :o

It looks like the west midlands is being decimated as far the local economy is concerned:

cadburys

longbridge

rover

etc

plus all the small businesses that supply them. I wonder if the local shepple will still vote liebour, surely not <_<

HOLA4418