House Price Crash Forum

Asset Rich

HOLA441
HOLA442
just been looking on the web at houses for sale near my parents - one thing stands out amongst them all - houses with ludicrous asking prices but crap furniture inside and crap cars outside

make of it what you will but we know the answer really, don't we?

That they have not been releasing equity from their property and wasting it on consumables?

Edited by pimperne1

HOLA443

I understand what you mean I you can go down a street where the cheapest home is £500,000 and see cars which you feel are not safe (I don't mean BMW/mercs etc I mean bangers that you wouldn;t feel safe in) but then if you look at the average household income in such areas seldom is it over 50K you do wonder as you can get a lovely little safe car for a few grand now and i wouldn't let my wife/child drive something dangerous.

On the other hand I was driving through a rough area and saw some nice cars TVR a M3 so your guess is as ood as mine.

One thing is clear now though if you took that house away and asked them to buy it again with 30% deposit they wouldn't be able to do it.

HOLA444
just been looking on the web at houses for sale near my parents - one thing stands out amongst them all - houses with ludicrous asking prices but crap furniture inside and crap cars outside

It means that if you bought one of those houses it would be like going up to a stranger, telling them they've won the lottery, writing the cheque yourself and then working for 20 years to pay it off. I'm not that generous. <_<

HOLA445

I have an 11yr old BMW and a 5 year old Focus on my drive. Worth maybe £5k between them.

I have a more expensive watch than that.

You'd be mad to ever try to judge anyones wealth by their wheels. In fact the inverse usually applies. The chap in the dented and rusting Subaru with the mouldy tweed jacket on the back seat probably owns half the county in my experience.

ANDY

ps the 'nice' car is in the garage and out of sight.

HOLA446
It means that if you bought one of those houses it would be like going up to a stranger, telling them they've won the lottery, writing the cheque yourself and then working for 20 years to pay it off. I'm not that generous. <_<

Agree,

Sod paying a bunch of middle class tossers a load of money for a crap house so that you can be a slave for the rest of time, while they

enjoy a spending bonanza.

What a rubbish deal buying a house really is these days (but not for much longer). ;)

HOLA447

And then in ten years time someone coming up to you in the street and telling you had won the lottery etc.........

HOLA448
HOLA449
That they have not been releasing equity from their property and wasting it on consumables?

Have to agree.I don't think there is anything surprising about the fact that expensive houses are connected with low consumer spending.There is a huge wealth gap but a much narrower income gap.Those that chose to spend often suffer in the equity stakes.It is no secret that cars,designer labelsand furniture are the aspirations of the working classes where as the middle classes are as tight as anything.This is one reason why i am so much in favour of penal inheritance tax.The chavs keep the exchequer oiled with VAT,excise duty etc. while the middle classes pay very little.The chavs even love to pay voluntary taxation on lottery tickets.

HOLA4410

Most of these houses would have been bought by average working people years ago, not really their fault that it 'worth' so much now.

HOLA4411

I know what you mean...I had the oddest feeling going around in council houses for sale at ridicules asking prices with the original ex tenants still living in the house.

Me..mid forty and a hubby with a degree and 60k a year...it was very unreal..and somehow not right.

HOLA4412
It is no secret that cars,designer labelsand furniture are the aspirations of the working classes where as the middle classes are as tight as anything.This is one reason why i am so much in favour of penal inheritance tax.The chavs keep the exchequer oiled with VAT,excise duty etc. while the middle classes pay very little.The chavs even love to pay voluntary taxation on lottery tickets.

Come on crashmonitor, that's a bit unfair. Just because someone has an interest in fast cars doesn't make them a chav.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Come on crashmonitor, that's a bit unfair. Just because someone has an interest in fast cars doesn't make them a chav.

Unless they have blue lighting under the car.

HOLA4417
I can remember when we were cash rich, time poor.

Now we are asset rich and both cash and time poor, where will our "wealth" go next?

The response I was looking for was "China" (Boom-Tish).

How vein is it to supply the punch line to your own set-up post?

Well, if the comedians aren't around...

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
I have an 11yr old BMW and a 5 year old Focus on my drive. Worth maybe £5k between them.

I have a more expensive watch than that.

You'd be mad to ever try to judge anyones wealth by their wheels. In fact the inverse usually applies. The chap in the dented and rusting Subaru with the mouldy tweed jacket on the back seat probably owns half the county in my experience.

ANDY

ps the 'nice' car is in the garage and out of sight.

Agreed. People with money tend not to spend it. Thats often how thery got it in the first place.

Why have a nice car anyway? Not many people can say they want a nice car for themselves, they want it to show off.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
It is no secret that cars,designer labelsand furniture are the aspirations of the working classes where as the middle classes are as tight as anything.

Yes, I notice this all the time. My Doctor drives a P reg Ford Granada (not Granada - it's replacement, cant think of name - ugliest car ever) which is typical of the folk in my predominately middle class area.

I earn over £140k, yet feel I can only afford a modest 2004 Audi A3 and wife a 2002 A6. I just don't know how people can afford flash cars, where am I going wrong?

HOLA4425