House Price Crash Forum

B B C 10 O'clock News

HOLA441

Just like to add my congrats, FP. It only needs a bit of this kind of exposure to persuade people that perhaps it's not such a no-brainer to 'invest' in property. We exist in this privileged bubble of knowledge and understanding that the vast majority are excluded from by virtue of the vested interests in the mass media - the slightest chink of light getting through to them is going to be like giving a morsel of food to a starving man.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/video_and_audio/default.stm

watch again 10 o clock news - click link then click top left

enjoy

Just watched it... that first guy is a pathetic.. the same old thing IMMIGRATION and he 'KNOWS' that IR's are low and will stay low for the foreseeable future.... he know something we don't???? FP came across well and Evan Davies is a HPC god.. very neutral in his views but he knows his stuff.

Well done all involved.. great coverage!

TB

Strange thing.. only today was talking to someone and said there is NO WAY I would put 50%+ of my wages to a mortgage. She said 'she would' :blink: Unfortunately, this is what we are up against!!!

Edited by teddyboy

HOLA443
Guest absolutezero
What did the teacher find unfair? Cast iron job security, final salary pension scheme, 10 weeks paid leave a year, unlimited sick leave?

Dont tell me, the little cherub also wanted a nice house to be worth £50k as well?

Not to be pedantic (OK, I am) and getting away from the topic but it's not actually PAID leave...

But yeah, its not fair she can't buy a house for a reasonable price, but then again it's not fair that no bugger else can either.

There has been a definite change in sentiment though.

HOLA444
Guest absolutezero
Er, are they coping with the 42 people here at the moment? :huh:

Says 230 viewing at the bottom of my screen....

EDIT: Admittedly not this topic, but the forum as a whole.

Edited by absolutezero

HOLA445

Just watched it again and I'm pretty convinced Evan knows what's coming. If he's converted then a lot of people will take note as he's usually pretty balanced - but something's definitely changed in the way he's describing things.

FP - did you have a proper chat with him about it all / what's happening in the US? Would love to know what he thinks off camera. Is he a member here?

Actually, I could be him doing a double bluff...can't believe you know about the prince albert :blink:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Just watched it... that first guy is a pathetic.. the same old thing IMMIGRATION and he 'KNOWS' that IR's are low and will stay low for the foreseeable future.... he know something we don't???? FP came across well and Evan Davies is a HPC god.. very neutral in his views but he knows his stuff.

On watching it a second time, I laughed at the irony of the interview with the first guy in the expo being interspersed twice with footage of chairs being moved around, given the regular 'rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic' quotes on hpc.

Cheers all, you really made my day seeing that tonight.

No red faced, blustery Krusty to be seen this time. So up hers'

HOLA4412
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Says 230 viewing at the bottom of my screen....

EDIT: Admittedly not this topic, but the forum as a whole.

After the interview was over there was a couple short of 500 online.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest Shedfish
After the interview was over there was a couple short of 500 online.

i couldn't get on.. kept crashing

Glad Fubra's on the case, and not Fubar :rolleyes:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest portwinestain

Just watched it again :lol:

So much for this site being full of loonies.

Are our 'fringe' views finally coming into fruition?

HOLA4417
Guest absolutezero
Just watched it again :lol:

So much for this site being full of loonies.

Are our 'fringe' views finally coming into fruition?

"Everything comes to those who wait."

HOLA4418
On watching it a second time, I laughed at the irony of the interview with the first guy in the expo being interspersed twice with footage of chairs being moved around, given the regular 'rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic' quotes on hpc.

I'm always staggered at the amount of cash invested at these expos to get folk to 'spill their mew' on off plan investments on the clear white beaches of Albinio..

I've been to a few and I'm always knocked out by the waste.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
In what way did they prove they were ready? And what is it well done for?

We have managed to keep the servers up generally, but it's pretty hard to deal with the initial surge from a BBC 10 o clock news piece unless you have a large cluster of servers running the site (which would be idle 99% of the time). We have 2 servers running the site currently (1 for the db, and 1 for the webserver), which is normally more than adequate.

Over the coming months we will add some more web servers to cope with the growing long term demand, but we will need to find a way to cluster the database element of the site, as I am not sure if Invision Power Board supports being split across multiple MySQL instances.

Anyway, well done for getting the Interview, you came across brilliantly!

HOLA4421
Good stuff FP - you came across as the more knowledgeable one, the VI ramper sounded like a rambling fool in comparison! 'Interest rates are ... lowish' ha ha, and not lowish for much longer! He might be staying awake at night wishing he hadn't bought all them properties, not wondering why he hasn't bought more.

The VI ramper came across as a time share/double glazing spiv! Must sign now or you will lose the deal. Good choice of person to interview.

HOLA4422

Just got back from having a few drinks and watched the piece on Windows Media Player. All is can say is F**CKING BRILLIANT ! Well done Jonathon .... I hope we get a chance to meet up some day coz I want to buy you a big drink... you were brilliant and you can bring along that Evan Davies bloke too ..... he was great. The only thing I wished he had added when talking about the average house price to average earnings ratio is that we are now somewhere between 8 and 10 instead of just saying it was going up and up and up but hey I am being penickety I think the message got across. I imagine there were a few BTL pratts choking on their cocoa tonight. Should see queues forming at the EAs tommorow - no not of buyers but of desparate 'investors' hoping to sell.

And remember boys and girls BE PREPARED i.e if you holding you should be folding.

Edited by Bearfacts

HOLA4423
Thanks for the link.

Financial Planner. I am amazed. Well done!!!

Seconded. Excellent work FP.

This does of course suggest that the BBC are not the VI that many here seem to think they are. I came away from watching the piece feeling that it was decidedly bearish (and rightly so).

There will be a crash and it's gonna be bad (> 40% nominal falls). Housing markets are starting to turn all around the world (this has been a global boom after all). Why are we different? Shortage of supply? I am sure that's what they were saying in Japan seventeen years ago (where supply is worse due to limited land available for building and a *much* bigger population). Here we are now and their property market is only just starting to recover after a decline of nearly two decades.

Twelve months ago, people would have laughed if we'd suggested the US market would be crashing. It's amazing how quickly this is playing out.

As others have said, buckle up - it's coming. Clear any debts as best you can and try to find a reasonably recession-proof job. Those of us who have been prudent with money for the past few years (and I exclude myself from this group) are about to get rewarded big time.

About three years ago, I found this website from a sticker on a pedestrian crossing in Harrogate town centre, near Waitrose (if that was you, I owe you a beer!!). The website name struck a chord with my deep-down bearish beliefs but at the time I was looking to buy somewhere, caught up in the general "renting is dead money/getting on the ladder" argument. Seeing that sticker was like a slap in the face, a serious reality check and made me realise that there were others out there who shared by beliefs. Needless to say, I checked it out soon as I got back to the office and the rest is history. I would also like to thank those that have contributed to the economics dicsussion on this site, since that has also been an eye-opener for me.

Now, back to the Guiness...

HOLA4424
I'm always staggered at the amount of cash invested at these expos to get folk to 'spill their mew' on off plan investments on the clear white beaches of Albinio..

I've been to a few and I'm always knocked out by the waste.

Back in my re-use/recycling days I looked into reusing stuff from exhibitions. The problem was that they wanted very liitle hassle so would skip it asap.

They usually wanted it out immediately, so the next expo could come in, making it very diificult to arrange for collection & re-distribution. A lot of display stuff was low quality, like stage sets, so difficult to reuse.

Despite some basic publicity efforts to re-use it, I believe a whole show home called 'the Oyster house' was destroyed, rather than dismantled.

(see pic) http://www.hughpearman.com/articles/cwa17.htm

It won an award at the ideal home exhibition, and was designed by Architect Nigel Coates.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4425
This does of course suggest that the BBC are not the VI that many here seem to think they are. I came away from watching the piece feeling that it was decidedly bearish (and rightly so).

I quite agree.

There's an annoying tendancy to conspracy theory on this site. Maybe we're a bit ahead of most in our views, but I think the beeb, for all their faults, bend over backwards to be balanced and they just proved it tonight.

I don't think the BOE is controlled by GB either - that myth will also start to unravel soon when IRs resume their march upwards.

Things are beginning to fall into place. I'm getting my savings out of Sterling and into Euros.