Interest Rate Decision Held At 5.25%...

HOLA441
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Why should the BoE rate matter anyhow? The banks price loans in line with their perception of risk. If they perceive a high risk of default and house price falls they will demand a higher rate from the borrower.

So why do we care about BoE rate? The real problem is investors buying mortgage backed securities who have a poor perception of risk (or don't care about the consequences as they can land a £3m bonus if it holds up until Christmas).

Are the financial markets suffering from the classic dichotomy between management and ownership? Management pursue their own agenda which is not aligned with the interests of the owners of capital (the pension funds etc).

This leads them to take on risky positions with a possibility of high payoff but little downside risk to themselves as the owners are the ones who will lose. Sure they may lose their jobs but that is no big deal for a charlatan seeking his fortune.

You may have struck a chord there, my friend. I've had many a drunken conversation with investment banker acquaintances who happily admit to creating very dodgy financing structures that are likely to collapse when we reach the end of this 10 year economic "miracle". They just shrug and say that they are clearing £[x]m a year, and that everyone is at it.

HOLA444
Guest Charlie The Tramp
A GWENT council today backed down on some of its price hike proposals for burial costs - but confirmed a 90 per cent hike for residents.

We should all be cremated and the bone meal spread on the land to fertilise and so feed the future generations.

Burial is so yesterday and takes up land which could house many new dwellings. :P

HOLA445
HOLA446
We should all be cremated and the bone meal spread on the land to fertilise and so feed the future generations.

Burial is so yesterday and takes up land which could house many new dwellings. :P

No it's burial for me, it will be the one time I will have a roof over my head to call my own (for a bit anyway). Well at least until time team dig me up and claim I was some kind of ritual sacrifice.

Edited by Ipodjunky

HOLA447
HOLA448
You may have struck a chord there, my friend. I've had many a drunken conversation with investment banker acquaintances who happily admit to creating very dodgy financing structures that are likely to collapse when we reach the end of this 10 year economic "miracle". They just shrug and say that they are clearing £[x]m a year, and that everyone is at it.

They'll be the same bankers shorting the stocks of their own companies when the pack of cards collapses on itself.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest grumpy-old-man

the funny thing is it doesn't annoy me today's descision, it just makes the % drop larger, for every month they leave inflation ravaging away the economy.

I think it's all hilarious to be honest.

Greed rules= Boom & Bust. ;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

In light of Eddie George's admission last month, I think we have to trust that these guys are going to do the best they can to slow things down without blowing everybody out of the sky at the same time. Whether or not we believe that is possible - they have to try . . . if they could engineer a soft-landing that would be best all round but they're going to need an awful lot of luck

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest The_Oldie
the funny thing is it doesn't annoy me today's descision, it just makes the % drop larger, for every month they leave inflation ravaging away the economy.

I think it's all hilarious to be honest.

Greed rules= Boom & Bust. ;)

I'm not fussed either. Yesterday, I paid a deposit on a new 1 year rental agreement. We're moving about 100 yards to a similar house with a better view and very slightly lower monthly rental. Interest rates are higher than last year so we enjoy more income and prices are not rising in this area.

Edit: The house next door to us has, today, had the asking price reduced by £15K after being on the market for 6 months. I think they'll have to do better than that ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I'm not fussed either. Yesterday, I paid a deposit on a new 1 year rental agreement. We're moving about 100 yards to a similar house with a better view and very slightly lower monthly rental. Interest rates are higher than last year so we enjoy more income and prices are not rising in this area.

Well done , same thing happend to us 12 months ago moved out of no.32 and into no.15 , both houses in the same road , much prefer no 15 as well , just fixed for another 12 months , interest pays the rent as well , eazzzzzy life B)

HOLA4417
Guest Shedfish

damn. TV in lounge. PC in office..

stubbed toe on way, tried to drive to hospital

crashed on way, hit a badgers' set. carnage. authorities called

swore at coppers. thought they were RSPCA..

IT'S A HOLD

<via blackberry, Belmarsh secure ward>

HOLA4418

OzzMosis is absolutely correct, Neil Peart is the god of drumming (and I in no way have a VI :lol: ) although I would also give you Phil Collins when he was under 30, or Ginger Baker or Bill Bruford, damn, showing my age I think.

Thank goodness I was too lazy to go into town earlier in the week, I had decided to put a tenner on 0.25 rise. William Hills loss is my gain I think :blink:

Cems & Crems rely on a bad winter to be profitable. All the old fogeys croaking because they can't afford to pay the fuel bills is good business, a warm and I must say very pleasant so far winter B) doesn't bring in enough, err, business.

Anyone know why is my forum clock one hour slow?

Edit - never mind it is showing the right time now. Must be me...

Edited by 2112

HOLA4419
I just don't get it? RPI/CPI rises to levels that weren't seen since 1991, and they hold IR?

I'm praying for HPI to go through the roof!!! I'm past caring anymore.

the reason for holding was due to manufacturing, apologies if this has already been posted or discussed... but:

LONDON: The U.K. manufacturing output fell 0.6 per cent in February, its largest fall since October 2005, the Office for National Statistics said Thursday.

Analysts had expected the output to rise 0.3 per cent. This is the second consecutive drop after the 0.2 per cent fall recorded in January. The output was just 1.2 per cent higher than a year earlier, the ONS said.

Manufacturing output constitutes 14.7 per cent of the country's economy.

only nearly 15% of country's economy....... !!!

Edited by debtfree

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest Daddy Bear
Well done , same thing happend to us 12 months ago moved out of no.32 and into no.15 , both houses in the same road , much prefer no 15 as well , just fixed for another 12 months , interest pays the rent as well , eazzzzzy life B)

Thats the way gentlemen, congratulations to you both...will be joining you summer 2007...STR....interest will pay rent and some to spare as well...what can you get for £1400 per month unfurnished/Northumberland?

Planning to be cash buyer 2010

DB

HOLA4422
Guest xeouialp
I guess sterling is still strong otherwise BoE would have raised. right?

Yes, the Bank of England held interest rates at 5.25% this month because the pound is still doing fine on the international money markets. They won't put up the interest rate unless the pound shows signs of falling, or their beastly competitors - the Fed or the ECB etc - put their own interest rates up in the meantime. We should look not at inflation, least of all house price inflation, as being any indicator at all of the MPC's behaviour. We should watch American and European interest rates. If they stay where they are, BoE interest rates will stay at 5.25% for ever, regardless of what inflation or house prices do. It’s just that we know the world isn’t that stable.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
OzzMosis is absolutely correct, Neil Peart is the god of drumming (and I in no way have a VI :lol: ) although I would also give you Phil Collins when he was under 30, or Ginger Baker or Bill Bruford, damn, showing my age I think.

Thank goodness I was too lazy to go into town earlier in the week, I had decided to put a tenner on 0.25 rise. William Hills loss is my gain I think :blink:

Cems & Crems rely on a bad winter to be profitable. All the old fogeys croaking because they can't afford to pay the fuel bills is good business, a warm and I must say very pleasant so far winter B) doesn't bring in enough, err, business.

Anyone know why is my forum clock one hour slow?

Edit - never mind it is showing the right time now. Must be me...

Bill Bruford was the man. He made YES - him and Chris Squire.

HOLA4425

Don't worry folks, a few shandys and its become obvious to me.

The quarterly inflation report headline figures will be available to them before the next meeting.

They'll raise .5% to 5.75% "on the basis of the report's shock findings" and their "assessment of the effects of previous raises" and try to (against the evidence) attract praise for being tough on inflation, decisive, sending a message etc etc. Much more easily defended than .25% now and .25% next time.

Unrealistic? Nanananana I've got my fingers in my ears and I can't hear you nanananana.