House Price Crash Forum

I Think The Builders Have Just Given Up!

HOLA441

On my way to work I go past a building site that has been there for about a year. In the last couple of weeks the doors in the surrounding fence have been open, and all they've succeeded in doing in the last 12 months is digging a big hole and putting down two piles of gravel.

Then, this morning, the graphics saying things like "1 & 2 bed apartments from £109k", "3 & 4 bedroom homes from £269k" all seem to have been removed.

What do you reckon would cause something like this to happen?

HOLA442
Guest Charlie The Tramp
On my way to work I go past a building site that has been there for about a year. In the last couple of weeks the doors in the surrounding fence have been open, and all they've succeeded in doing in the last 12 months is digging a big hole and putting down two piles of gravel.

Then, this morning, the graphics saying things like "1 & 2 bed apartments from £109k", "3 & 4 bedroom homes from £269k" all seem to have been removed.

Saw the same thing in Grays Essex. The site has seen no action for the past year. Big hole dug concrete laid then all stopped.

HOLA443

who is the builder and what is the location?

could be a change of ownership of the site

HOLA444
HOLA445

There is a site on the way to work for me (directly next to Lee train station), it's been stop start for nearly 2 years and they seem no further along than they were a year ago.

HOLA446
HOLA447
There is a site on the way to work for me (directly next to Lee train station), it's been stop start for nearly 2 years and they seem no further along than they were a year ago.

I remember the last crash, ( ahh good times) a small development near my parents, just stopped halfway

the builders went bust, they knew it was no point finishing the work off.

Houses were sold half built and even some that were just plots of land.

HOLA448
Guest Bart of Darkness
all they've succeeded in doing in the last 12 months is digging a big hole and putting down two piles of grave
My mate could have done that in a weekend.

Signs removed? maybe they're getting them reprinted with higher prices? ;-)

:lol:

HOLA449

Certainly does smell like a cessation of trading.

But just because it behooves us to be fair and flag up other possibilities, and because nothing is obvious, ever......

Now then, now then, how's about this, guys and gals?

The Contractors are scuffling about looking for Tradesmen and Builder's Labradors, because they had to sack the lot, after it was recently brought home to them that it's Employer's Liability, if they're caught hiring illegals. Doesn't account for the signage evaporating, though :huh:

HOLA4410

land is in short supply, so the builder buys as it comes to market. When he finishes his other projects he will then start work on the land that he purchased previously. They raise the property to the ground to stop squatters. The other reason is that land is going up in value and they may have been siting on it waiting for the price to rise like trading stocks & shares and someone else may have now bought.

HOLA4411

There is a large plot of land near to where I live which was bought for development of 195 apartments. Planning permission was given, but nothing happened for about 18 mths, then the developer sold the plot to another developer, who has so far not done anything (for about a year). Local press suggest that it won't go ahead.

HOLA4412
The Contractors are scuffling about looking for Tradesmen and Builder's Labradors, because they had to sack the lot, after it was recently brought home to them that it's Employer's Liability, if they're caught hiring illegals. Doesn't account for the signage evaporating, though :huh:

"Building site? What building site? No officer, this was just the annual Anglo-Polish concrete-pouring convention... no building work going on here... just Polish tourists, officer."

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Near us a insta-box of 8 flats is being built. It was 6 and a house with a small garden (token mixed development effort) but l guess this just wasnt enough for our erstwhile developer's bottom line.

Now l read a mobile mast is going up in the what l understand to be the "garden" of the lost house. If he'd managed to get an agreement and some dosh for storing hazarous waste there lm sure he would have included that in this lovely addition to our locale.

HOLA4415

Full planning permission usually granted for 5 years. Therefore need to start building within 5 years or will have to re-apply for planning permssion. Therefore send in a dozer, dig a big hole, development has started... you can leave it that way indefinatley, no need to reapply in 5 years.

Edited by Planner

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Full planning permission usually granted for 5 years. Therefore need to start building within 5 years or will have to re-apply for planning permssion. Therefore send in a dozer, dig a big hole, development has started... you can leave it that way indefinatley, no need to reapply in 5 years.

Actually I think it's generally work must start within 5 years and be complete within 10 or a re-application is required.

HOLA4418
Guest Shedfish

there's a Wilson estate down by me, i watched it being built over the years. finished 2 years ago.. still mostly empty, still all over Rightmove like a rash. incentives like free carpets and 5k off. like that'll make a sh!t of difference.

two bunches of 'executive' flats across town - about three quarters full, all over rightmove. similar time frame, if not longer. most empties are on for sale and rent.

and guess what! they're building a stack more, right behind a nightclub and 'kebab alley', just over the road from the Wilson homes. all of these are in the 200 - 275k price bracket (in a town with retail wages and no industry). nothing under 200k, when 100k is considered expensive by some. Barratt Homes are moving into turkeys it seems

i wonder if any of these are intended as 'affordable homes', or whether they'll just become that over time

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Southampton.

They don't build an entire developement in one hit. Block one then block two when block one is 3/4 sold. Down here some prestige developements have come to a complete stop. They can't sell what they already have so why biuld more. One block I know of took a year to biuld and then it stopped with the final wall half way up. They just did not want to finish, I believe it becomes liable for some sort of tax even unoccupied.

Prices are amazingly sticky as well, despite being unable to sell they don't drop the price they just sit tight hoping for the best.

We have a few unfinished developements here, the marketing is good though. Hurry last one remaining etc,etc. I can see a miselling scandel when owners realise they were sold a donkey not a horse as they were lead to believe.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest Shedfish
But it's still not as funny as the luxury flats that burnt down last year, and the sign today still proclaims "last 4 remaining" :lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/5069066.stm

that happened to the local nightclub here some years ago, just after a PR campaign with the slogan "the hottest place in town"

another staffs HPCer! we're thin on the ground... do you reckon these are reasonable?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-139...=3&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-139...=3&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-129...=3&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-129...=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-785...=2&tr_t=buy

"Lawrance", "Tayleur" "Granville"

w4nkers

and here's what they're doing to a hitherto completely useful car park a 9-iron away

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-696...=1&tr_t=buy

you can tell it's an artist's impression, there's a good looking girl in it

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest Shedfish
Ewww! Twentysomething lifestyle photos! I'm just popping outside - there's a bucket I've got to be sick into.

You're Stone, aren't you Shedfish?

in Stafford.. looking at a move to Stone - much more going on there than stafford (!?)

i was also looking at Wetley / Leek etc until i saw where the bird flu wagons went :ph34r:

where are you?

those riverside ones.. jesus, run a gauntlet of 1000 drunk kids, CCTV and vans full of dogs baying for a kebab if you're back late. that'd make some good alternative pics for the brochure. i hope they're planning some good double glazing and a fire exit