House Price Crash Forum

Job Advice To A Soon-to-be-graduate...

Mikesev

HOLA441

Ok, I'm posting this because I'm well aware that this forum is full of people who are wiser than myself and in good professional positions to know about the state of British industry. Please don't take me for a spammer, despite only being 21 I have a keen interest in many areas of economics, and the state of the UK housing market in particular, I'm just posting this to try and gauge the opinions of more experienced than I am.

I can't really talk to my parents about this for several reasons. Neither of them have ever been graduates, they're genuinely quite naive (my Mum advised me to get an interest only mortgage once I get a job!) and neither of them are particularly entrepreneurial which I am.

I'm studying for a BSc in Physics at Imperial College, final grade will probably be a 2:2 but I'm pushing for a 2:1 and haven't given up on it yet. Assuming the worst and I do only graduate with a 2:2, I'm automatically excluded from most of the top flight industries and companies. Frustrating that they'll consider lesser courses from lesser institutions with a 2:1 - but that's life. Main reason for the crap grade really is because I tried to set up an import business last year. I worked the summer before in China and then used the contacts I made to start importing consumer electronics and sell them online (eBay). Thing is, consumer electronics is a crap business to be in, stupidly over competitive and margins are wafer thin. Prices are dropping before your eyes. I exited with a slight profit, nothing to jump up and down about, and a lot wiser.

Then this past summer I spent working for a small factory on a marketing project. Was good fun and very enlightening, opened my eyes to the business potential of professional advice to British firms. I think this would be something I would very much like to consider in future.

My overarching priority is that I would like to work for myself eventually, I'm not naive, I know that it takes time and experience to be successful and so I'm leaning heavily towards a professional career, probably in accountancy. Even with a 2:2 it should be possible to find a smaller firm who will take me on and this way I can get into networking with SMEs.

However I'm not set on that route and I'd very much like to hear what other people have to say because I've been feeling rather gloomy about the whole thing to be honest.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

My overarching priority is that I would like to work for myself eventually, I'm not naive, I know that it takes time and experience to be successful and so I'm leaning heavily towards a professional career, probably in accountancy. Even with a 2:2 it should be possible to find a smaller firm who will take me on and this way I can get into networking with SMEs.

Given your ambitions and likely poor grade, your choice of accountancy seems wise. I'd look into audit to get the CA qualification and good exposure to a wide range of businesses.

However, I'd advise you to leave and set up as soon as you qualify as accountancy will suck the life out of you.

HOLA443

You've just come to a web site where people believe the house prices are never going to stop going up, and the wages will go forever down. You may as well slit your own throat. Or everyone elses. One or the other.

HOLA444

Ok, I'm posting this because I'm well aware that this forum is full of people who are wiser than myself and in good professional positions to know about the state of British industry. Please don't take me for a spammer, despite only being 21 I have a keen interest in many areas of economics, and the state of the UK housing market in particular, I'm just posting this to try and gauge the opinions of more experienced than I am.

I can't really talk to my parents about this for several reasons. Neither of them have ever been graduates, they're genuinely quite naive (my Mum advised me to get an interest only mortgage once I get a job!) and neither of them are particularly entrepreneurial which I am.

I'm studying for a BSc in Physics at Imperial College, final grade will probably be a 2:2 but I'm pushing for a 2:1 and haven't given up on it yet. Assuming the worst and I do only graduate with a 2:2, I'm automatically excluded from most of the top flight industries and companies. Frustrating that they'll consider lesser courses from lesser institutions with a 2:1 - but that's life. Main reason for the crap grade really is because I tried to set up an import business last year. I worked the summer before in China and then used the contacts I made to start importing consumer electronics and sell them online (eBay). Thing is, consumer electronics is a crap business to be in, stupidly over competitive and margins are wafer thin. Prices are dropping before your eyes. I exited with a slight profit, nothing to jump up and down about, and a lot wiser.

Then this past summer I spent working for a small factory on a marketing project. Was good fun and very enlightening, opened my eyes to the business potential of professional advice to British firms. I think this would be something I would very much like to consider in future.

However I'm not set on that route and I'd very much like to hear what other people have to say because I've been feeling rather gloomy about the whole thing to be honest.

Degree class is most important for getting your first job, after that it quickly fades in significance compared to experience / skills etc.

With your background it might be possible to get into technical sales and marketing. Or as you say accountancy. Both are well-known routes to business leadership, which seems to be your long term goal.

frugalista

HOLA445

If your going to sell on eBay find yourself a unique/exclusive dropship supplier otherwise others quickly catch on, move in and drop the margins

IIRC I read about somebody selling gym equipment worldwide on eBay - suppliers were via her father contacts in the industry - made so much profit she quit her high flying career...

HOLA446
HOLA447

Talking as someone that has travelled your path in life I would like to offer some advice. Don't look towards your career as your life, it can be a very disappointing experience. A 2 2 is not going to put you into orbit in the world of Physics anyway, you would need a PHD. If you get a well paid job keep the money, let someone else drive the fast car, secure yourself as soon as you can.

Things are not progressing in the nicest way anywhere in the world at the moment and especially not in UK Plc, there are enormous underlying tensions which will rupture at some point. Surround yourself with nice people you can trust and then help each other out it will bring enormous personal benefits.

A degree you have and that is your driving licence, a learner in life you are, don't crash it can be fatal!

Good Luck!.

deano!

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I would say. oil industry

I can give you an example of the saraly different between industry. in automotive, defence, construction, nuclear or air. an average graduate would get £30k top, £27 average for staff after 5 years experence or £22/hour as a contractor.

In oil industry, I am a pipeline engineer with 4 years experence with master. my saraly was jumped from £26k to £42 within last 12 months (moved twice, £42 is top saraly,average is around £35k ). as a contractor, I know people can get £30 to £40 per hours with 5year+ experence.

The downside is you may have to work in Aberdeen. althoght they have limited office in outside London.

If you can not get into the industry with your grade. you can do a master course in either HWU or Cranfield University (course fee may be free).

Hope this help...

and BTW, I still can't afford a house yet as my wife just had a baby and not working atm.

Edited by yoman

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The best advice I was never given is to make your hobby your career. You will be far more enthusiastic and therefore succesful, apart from being happier.

If you want to work for yourself, learn the business at somebody else's expense and only then go it alone.

And don't worry about your degree. Alot of really succesful entrepreneurs have no qualifications at all (Branson, Sugar etc.)

HOLA4414

(Shifting out of lurk mode)

Know the situation well - graduated a couple of years ago. Chem degree, 2:2, Imperial College.

Firstly, I wouldn't worry about the 2:2. Imperial is a pain to get a decent degree from - as you've no doubt found, the heavy workload is sufficient to scupper a 2:1 if personal circumstances get in the way. I would imagine employers know this too. Trick is to ignore the '2:2 graduates need not apply' adverts and apply anyway. Guy on my course with a 2:2 did just that and wandered onto JP Morgan's graduate programme. This corroborates RichB's thinking, and as frugalista pointed out, degree performance matters a lot less after a first job.

Agree particularly with yoman - oil / energy industry is ideal for job security / paycheck assuming the supply-demand balance remains tight and prices stick around current levels or increase further. I'm working for a consultancy in this industry, and I'm aware that there's quite a shortage of skills to cope with the current climate of increased investment. As high property prices are leading to increased property development, high oil prices (after a long period of low prices / underinvestment) appear to be having a similar effect.

My advice: you'll be fine - best to worry less about that, and more about having fun and sorting out the degree.

HOLA4415

Just to echo everyone else all the best people have Desmonds (I have one myself in Biochemistry) and after the 1st job no-one gives a damn. Particularly if you aren't working in the same sector. You are clearly entrepreneurial and have a decent degree which will be appreciated by many employers. Applications which involve more than just sending a CV in can be a good opportunity to shine as most applicants won't bother to make the effort.

I'd rather hire someone with a bit of business sense and a 2:2 than a geek with 1st who has no social skills.

HOLA4416

given you are studying physics then a possible route for you may be mechanical aerospace.

if you want security then go for the defence end of things....given that iran is about to kick off you would probably end up working in one of the only immigrant-free zones left in the country.

Don't know what the pay is like,but if the middle east goes tits-up then you will not be taking a pay cut that's for sure.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

If you are good at physics and enjoy solving the mental challenges, I'd suggest going into software engineering.

Seconded. Get on a graduate programme in a bank, learn finance at the same time. That's provided you know how to program. It's not hard to learn.

HOLA4420

I don't think grades matter. If you graduated with a 1st, you might consider a career in physics, but most physics graduates will be doing something else.

I think a positive attitute and the willingness to work hard are the most important determinants of success - you also have the advantage of having shown initiative in setting up your own business.

HOLA4421

My advice.

Do what feels right, and what you enjoy.

I've noticed a couple of comments on here saying that if you only have a 2:2 then it isn't worth pursuing physics. As much as a position in beancounting will depend on your personal merits, I'm sure this is the case for many professions, including those in science.

btp

HOLA4422

My advice to you would be to consider a job in local government. The salaries can be quite eye watering and you would probably be able to continue your import export business in parallel. It is unlikely that anyone would be bothered that you were doing another job in work time.

I don't buy your tosh about being too busy to study but nevertheless a 2.2 in Physics from Imperial would impress me over a first from many other Universities.

HOLA4423

I've just qualified as a chartered accountant with a big 4 firm in London (Deloitte). It's a good option (even if you don't want to be an accountant). Current packages post qualification are in the £50k to £65k pa bracket depending on where you go. However you look at it, that's very reasonable 3 years after graduating. Most graduate entry schemes will close shortly so get your skates on!

Bust your balls for the 2:1, it will be worth it.

Give me a shout if you want to know more. More than happy to help.

HOLA4424

Running your own business does take time and experience- if you get a job somewhere else you'll be spending time and getting experience in their business not your own.

Learning accountancy might sound like a good way to prepare for running your own business but really it isn't- unless of course you want to set up your own accountancy firm. All accountancy will teach you is how to work the finances- the more important part is having a business which will fill your books with real money.

You've already had a go with import and distribution- fair play to you. You would be surprised how many people are too scared to even try. Selling through Ebay is a waste of time IMHO- you don't get the quality business customers just daydreamers and bargain hunters.

From my own experience starting your business when young is a distinct advantage- the first years are hard going and it's much easier to navigate this period without having a missus, kids, bills and a mortgage to look after.

Best thing to do is look around and think about what you would really enjoy doing- setting up a business doing something you are less than 100% sure you like is a sure way to go bust very quickly.

HOLA4425