House Price Crash Forum

Bradford & Bingley Bloke On Radio 2 -

HOLA441

Not sure how many of you heard it but on Radio 2's business slot at 5.30 pm they interviewed some guy from Bradford

& Bingley. God he was so smug !!!

I must admit though the guy interviwing him did ask some 'pertinent' questions.

They were discussing how BUY TO LET has been the biggest money-making thing for Britain for last year (or something along those lines). ( I am repeating the following from memory so is not a perfect transcript, but near enough)

After the B&B guy had waffled a bit the BBC guy asked the question I was praying he would ask .......

"I'm sure this BUY TO LET thing is all very well and great for people making money out of it but shouldn't these people feel a bit guilty robbing First Time Buyers of their chance to buy a home, instead they have to rent it off them.

The B& B guy came back with the most UNBELIEVABLE answer I can honestly say I have every heard come out of the mouth of a VI .....

"Well no, BUY TO LET landlords should not feel guilty as FTB's ARE NOT being put off buying at all, figures are UP for FTB's and the average age has now dropped from 34 to 28."

HOW THE HELL DO THESE PEOPLE SLEEP NIGHTS ?

The only reason (In my opinion) that the age for FTB's has gone down a bit is that their stupid bloody parents are giving them huge deposits.

The BBC guy then asked the B&B guy if the BUY TO LET market could possibly sustain itself. The BBC guy said he did not think it was possible and wouldn't prices fall as a result?

The B&B guy said "prices might 'MOVE AROUND' a bit but most BTL are in it for the 'long haul'.

The BBC guy unfortunately caved in at the end of interview and said "Some very good advice there!"

I repeat what I said earlier "HOW DO THESE PEOPLE SLEEP NIGHTS?"

The thing I thought was most odd was that the B&B guy came across like an absolute 'drone' showed no emotion in his

voice at all, just as if he was reading it all off a script.

I am honestly starting to believe that SOME of these VI's are verging towards EVIL.

They have no compassion at all. I know they are only doing a job but how do they justify some of the things they do (and say) and they misery they have helped cause.

Anyway just thought some of you may be interested to hear what he had to say.

Edited by GAL BEAR

HOLA442
HOLA443

Radio 2 is baby-boomer heaven. Have you listened to the playlist? They're so BBC 'on message' it's painful.

Still it is the only time I have heard a BBC inteviewer ask some vaguely 'Bearish' questions, even though he caved in at the end and followed the usual 'party line'.

HOLA444

Hmm. I've never heard them be bearish before either.. They usually do the 'Young people forced to rent... houses expensive...blah blah - but it's all to do with supply etc so why not share-to-buy?'

They are the mouthpiece for the 60 year old / beige trouser, golf jumper wearing / Discovery driving / second house owning / "We worked hard for everything we have... at one point my wife even had to get a job (for a week) money was so tight!" / gits that over-populate this island. Come on MRSA - do your job and cut them down as they have their replacement hip operations.

That's Mr SA the chinese surgeon.

I get very angry when I think about these grey-parasites.

We should have listened to Mulder and Scully when they warned us about the greys.

Edited by 29929BlackTuesday

HOLA445

Not sure how many of you heard it but on Radio 2's business slot at 5.30 pm they interviewed some guy from Bradford

& Bingley. God he was so smug !!!

I must admit though the guy interviwing him did ask some 'pertinent' questions.

They were discussing how BUY TO LET has been the biggest money-making thing for Britain for last year (or something along those lines). ( I am repeating the following from memory so is not a perfect transcript, but near enough)

After the B&B guy had waffled a bit the BBC guy asked the question I was praying he would ask .......

"I'm sure this BUY TO LET thing is all very well and great for people making money out of it but shouldn't these people feel a bit guilty robbing First Time Buyers of their chance to buy a home, instead they have to rent it off them.

The B& B guy came back with the most UNBELIEVABLE answer I can honestly say I have every heard come out of the mouth of a VI .....

"Well no, BUY TO LET landlords should not feel guilty as FTB's ARE NOT being put off buying at all, figures are UP for FTB's and the average age has now dropped from 34 to 28."

The only reason (In my opinion) that the age for FTB's has gone down a bit is that their stupid bloody parents are giving them huge deposits.

The BBC guy then asked the B&B guy if the BUY TO LET market could possibly sustain itself. The BBC guy said he did not think it was possible and wouldn't prices fall as a result?

The B&B guy said "prices might 'MOVE AROUND' a bit but most BTL are in it for the 'long haul'.

The BBC guy unfortunately caved in at the end of interview and said "Some very good advice there!"

I repeat what I said earlier "HOW DO THESE PEOPLE SLEEP NIGHTS?"

The thing I thought was most odd was that the B&B guy came across like an absolute 'drone' showed no emotion in his

voice at all, just as if he was reading it all off a script.

I am honestly starting to believe that SOME of these VI's are verging towards EVIL.

They have no compassion at all. I know they are only doing a job but how do they justify some of the things they do (and say) and they misery they have helped cause.

Anyway just thought some of you may be interested to hear what he had to say.

There was no mention of yields etc !!

And when he said " BTLs are in for the long term " in theory yes but when they see their asset going down the tube then they will take a very short term approach.

Edited by faloos

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

:blink:

Hmm. I've never heard them be bearish before either.. They usually do the 'Young people forced to rent... houses expensive...blah blah - but it's all to do with supply etc so why not share-to-buy?'

They are the mouthpiece for the 60 year old / beige trouser, golf jumper wearing / Discovery driving / second house owning / "We worked hard for everything we have... at one point my wife even had to get a job (for a week) money was so tight!" / gits that over-populate this island. Come on MRSA - do your job and cut them down as they have their replacement hip operations.

We should have listened to Mulder and Scully when they warned us about the greys.

HOLA449

I heard this - the BB guy sounded quite nervous to me, like he knew it's all BS and was expecting to be called on it - well not by the BBC it seems.

And for the falling FTB age I guess the 30 somethings can remember the early 90's

This is probably the most likely cause. I am in my mid-thirties and 2 of my flat owning friends have sold up in the last year, and are renting to 'wait and see' where they want to live. I sold my flat to a 26yr old who was (I think) intending to rent it out. The people under 30 who can get their hands on the cash for the deposit are those most likely to be tempted right now, I guess they have spent most of their adult youth in a housing boom watching get-rich-quick TV. Over 35 and you have a little more sense.

HOLA4410

There was no mention of yields etc !!

And when he said " BTLs are in for the long term " in theory yes but when they see their asset going down the tube then they will take a very short term approach.

Definition of a long term investment: a short term investment that went wrong

HOLA4411

My God . . . don't you people EVER stop bitching ? Yes, most people who've become BTL LLs are greedy. Yes they want to make money for doing nothing except managing their properties. So F***ING what ??!! Greed - believe it or not - is what has made this nation one of the premier economic powers on the planet. It has given each of us, fortunate enough to reside here, relatively decent lifestyles compared to many other countries.

One of my tenants - a teacher - confessed that she resented not being able to buy a falt as the prices are out of her reach. I sympathise with her but asked her whose fault it was. Even if prices were at pre-2001 levels, it's unlikely she'd have been able to buy anything near where she lives now (Ladbroke Grove, West London). I mean, I sincerely believe that if - right NOW - property prices were at, say, 1999 levels and it wasn't considered a "guaranteed" moneyspinner or the notion that "property always goes up in value" wasn't so widely believed, my tenant wouldn't give a flying f**k about buying a flat. Most young people wouldn't. Most of 'em would just spend it on what I spent it on at that age - clothes, clubs, birds and drugs. It's only cos everyone's heard about all the new property millionaires who are buying up Porsche Caymans and Range Rovers, that they're feeling left out.

It's an ILLUSION, people !!!

It's all gonna come tumbling down real soon.

HOLA4412

it so funny . the bears point to rising FTB ages as a sign that more people are being priced out for longer, hence a crash must be coming, and when it reduces its " just because they're having help" and not a sign of greater affordibility /rising wages / the balance in favour of FTB's becoming more fair. Can't win with you guys, a lot of you just see what you want to see and are blind to the facts.

HOLA4413
Guest pioneer31

it so funny . the bears point to rising FTB ages as a sign that more people are being priced out for longer, hence a crash must be coming, and when it reduces its " just because they're having help" and not a sign of greater affordibility /rising wages / the balance in favour of FTB's becoming more fair. Can't win with you guys, a lot of you just see what you want to see and are blind to the facts.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

yeh, my 300% pay rise letter came through today!

HOLA4414

It's very poor taste to wish old people catch MRSA.

:D

HOLA4415
Guest pioneer31

The BBC make me wet myself. In many debates they INSIST on getting two opposing sides to balance the argument.

When it's house prices, they just have the one side, the VI. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"So Mr Hussein, thanks for coming in. Torture, you think it's a good thing?"

"Yiss yiss, boiling people alive, chopping off limbs etc It's what the Iraqi people wanted before that Mr Bush interfered."

"Ok, some good advice there Mr Hussein, thanks for coming in. Now here's the new single from Elkie Brooks!"

HOLA4416

The BBC make me wet myself. In many debates they INSIST on getting two opposing sides to balance the argument.

When it's house prices, they just have the one side, the VI. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"So Mr Hussein, thanks for coming in. Torture, you think it's a good thing?"

"Yiss yiss, boiling people alive, chopping off limbs etc It's what the Iraqi people wanted before that Mr Bush interfered."

"Ok, some good advice there Mr Hussein, thanks for coming in. Now here's the new single from Elkie Brooks!"

That's a bit OTT.

They haven't played an Elkie Brooks single for years.

HOLA4417