House Price Crash Forum

Venezuela 'may Swap Oil Currency'

HOLA441
HOLA442

All the nay sayers understand the significance of dealing Oil in Euros yet?

Looks like George will have to accept the demise of the Dollar or attack Venezuela as well as Iran.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4990302.stm

The US has just formally introduced an arms embargo against Venezuela "because of links to international terror and Iran", and a senior US politician (Rumsfeld?) previously compared Chavez to Hitler. Chavez himself has stated that he is rearming because he expects an attack. Let's have a guess how this is going to end <_<

HOLA443
HOLA444

Where else is Chavez going to sell his oil to? He need the cash from the US to fund his revolution. Most of the rest of the oil currently goes to bribing other South American "friends". Transporting it to China would be possible but require quite a bit of investment in shipping and ports.

HOLA445

Where else is Chavez going to sell his oil to? He need the cash from the US to fund his revolution. Most of the rest of the oil currently goes to bribing other South American "friends". Transporting it to China would be possible but require quite a bit of investment in shipping and ports.

The World is hungry for oil, especially the developing worlds.

George will find himself at the back of the queue very soon with keen defenders of their suppliers.

Transporting oil long distances by sea is very routine, happens all the time and is not even slightly difficult. How do you think we get our heavy oil imports to the UK?

HOLA446
HOLA447

Boys and girls, i would be getting down the gym and starting reading Andy McNabs books.

Time is almost upon us - WW3

I reckon it will be great

For the last 50 years we have just ponced about - man was made to fight

I would have not put it that way, however what a good point, we have not seen such a long period of peace and relative prosperity for many a year, no major wars, not that I want them but I do wonder how long it will be before mankind actually remember about wars and see's it as a good prospect

HOLA448

The US has just formally introduced an arms embargo against Venezuela "because of links to international terror and Iran", and a senior US politician (Rumsfeld?) previously compared Chavez to Hitler. Chavez himself has stated that he is rearming because he expects an attack. Let's have a guess how this is going to end <_<

And hasn't Chavez offered to sell Iran his stock of F16 fighters? Not much use without spare parts back up!

Playing the Euro against the dollar won't work for long because the Euro does not need to be overvalued aginst other world currencies due to the need to remain competitive.

Chavez will soon be replaced by an equally despicable right wing military coup and so the beat goes on...........

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The World is hungry for oil, especially the developing worlds.

George will find himself at the back of the queue very soon with keen defenders of their suppliers.

Transporting oil long distances by sea is very routine, happens all the time and is not even slightly difficult. How do you think we get our heavy oil imports to the UK?

You are somewhat mistaken.

The world may be hungry for oil, but most of the refineries geared up to process Venezuela's particularly heavy grades of crude are in the US (many in fact owned by PDVSA subsidiary Citgo). Potential customers elsewhere are limited.

You can indeed transport oil halfway around the world by sea, but it is extremely expensive and only worth it when specific supply gaps make it economical ("arbitrage"). You will find it is largely the more in demand light crudes making these journeys, such as North Sea crude moving to the US.

If Venezuela wants to sell heavy crude to Europe, it will find itself priced out by other, shorter-haul heavy crudes from Russia and the Middle East, which enjoy a comparative freight advantage. Of course they could decide to do this anyway for political reasons, but economically it will be suicide, they will achieve far lower selling prices for their crudes by doing this. They will be cutting of their nose to spite their face.

The fact is that Venezuela is a short-haul supplier to the world's biggest crude importer. It will continue to sell most of its crude to US whatever Chavez says. He can't afford not too. Chavez, like Ahmedinejad, is a ranting and raving populist who will say anything if he thinks it will make him popular, even if he knows full well it stinks of BS.

HOLA4411

And hasn't Chavez offered to sell Iran his stock of F16 fighters? Not much use without spare parts back up!

The Iranians have been quite clever regards keeping their US-sourced kit in the air; they've managed to re-manufacture the simpler service parts, buy bits on the black market, and cannabalise existing aircraft.

Don't think Chavez has much to fear from this embargo; Russia has made it clear they are quite willing to take his money.

And as you said, he probably won't be in power for ever. Think we can expect a re-run of the Contra business at some point :)

HOLA4412

The Iranians have been quite clever regards keeping their US-sourced kit in the air; they've managed to re-manufacture the simpler service parts, buy bits on the black market, and cannabalise existing aircraft.

Don't think Chavez has much to fear from this embargo; Russia has made it clear they are quite willing to take his money.

And as you said, he probably won't be in power for ever. Think we can expect a re-run of the Contra business at some point :)

I think 18 months is about standard for S American dictators? They are all the same with different labels. All in it for the power and money and to control the trafficking. "Machismo" runs everything down there.

Yes--and the Russians are willing to step in wherever there is a falling out with the US. Back to pre-Gorbachev days as Putin resumes the patterns of the old days. Whatever is anti-US is good no matter if it stands in stark contrast to policies elswhere: Putin Vs. Muslims in Chechnya. Putin with Muslims in Iran. It won't be long before Putin turns the screw tighter on his former EU colonies though gas price hikes.

HOLA4413

Andy NcNab

there's more action at the friday night Aldershot NAFFI Disco than thats guys seen.

A grade 1 Bull$itter who let the Regiment down badly.

Pablo Silver or Lead?

I like the way you say 'The Regiment' like you were in it! I was in the TA (reservist now...) and it is amazing how many people try to give the impression of being in the SAS!! "Let's just say I was based near Hereford shall we?" etc. - what you worked in Hereford Aldi?

It's a good idea to JOIN UP before you're CALLED OUT as you can choose to NOT be in the infantry (a LOT of running about in matching luggage with heavy bangsticks).

I can heartily recommend the Territorial Army - it needs a number of skills not just 'teeth' arm soldiers. Officers particularly.

Go on - you've got nothing to lose except Tuesday evenings and you gain an attractive pair of Hi-Tec Shadow trainers. And your OWN Army number!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Let's remember that the two most money-hating leaders whose ideology would tempt many Bush-haters these days (assuming they didn't know what would come of them) are Hitler and Stalin.

Maybe Bush isn't so bad? Or Blair?

I'm going to hide in a dustbin for a bit :(

Its odd that so many think the US are in Iraq to steal oil--they pay for every barrel and billions on trying to bring peace but the Sunnis and Shias will have none of it until one faction kills of the other.

HOLA4417
Guest Bart of Darkness

Boys and girls, i would be getting down the gym and starting reading Andy McNabs books.

Is Fight Club your favourite film by the way?

Tyler Durden: In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

After extensive study of US foreign policy over the past 5 years I've finally come to understand just what it is they've got planned.

You see, after being YEARS late for the first two World Wars, they want to be extra sure to be on time for the next one!

HOLA4418

Its odd that so many think the US are in Iraq to steal oil--they pay for every barrel and billions on trying to bring peace but the Sunnis and Shias will have none of it until one faction kills of the other.

I'd suggest they are in Iraq to obtain a strategic influence over the Middle East oil supplies, keeping the Eastern economies and Putin at arms length.

And of course preserving the Dollar as the oil currency of choice.

It was the first thing they did when they ousted Saddam, reverse the trade of Iraq oil from Euros back into dollars. Why would they do that??

The war on Iraq is nothing whatsoever to do with the welfare of its people.

HOLA4419

I'd suggest they are in Iraq to obtain a strategic influence over the Middle East oil supplies, keeping the Eastern economies and Putin at arms length.

And of course preserving the Dollar as the oil currency of choice.

It was the first thing they did when they ousted Saddam, reverse the trade of Iraq oil from Euros back into dollars. Why would they do that??

The war on Iraq is nothing whatsoever to do with the welfare of its people.

Sounds about right--Putin or Bush*? Free democracies will tend to be pro-western and less likely to join the re-emerging Soviet Bloc. With the Soviets back in the saddle they can play the Arabs nations to gain maximum advanatgae and undermine the West's dominance in the world. Offering to build the Iranians a nuclear reactor on Soviet soil was a nice gesture but they will want more than that in return for political support for Putin. Its business as usual in the world.

*Until 2008 when it will probably be Clinton and Putin (Russian dictators tend to remain in power until they die or are forcibly removed by a stronger force).

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4420

*Until 2008 when it will probably be Clinton and Putin (Russian dictators tend to remain in power until they die or are forcibly removed by a stronger force).

I'm honestly not so sure - I was told recently that Putin has the chairmanship of Gazprom lined up for when he steps down.

HOLA4421

Total bullsh@t as per usual from RB, never missing an oppertunity to spin corporate murder by the Industrial Military Complex as an act of peace. Onward Christian Soldiers marching off to a profitable war

http://*******.com/rmjfj

And 50 years on still doing the same

http://*******.com/b9mku

HOLA4422

Even if this isn't serious, there are elements of truth about it. There have been many periods in human history where wars have seemed unlikely and have been relegated to the past. The late 19th century also saw a similar period of economic growth, technological revolution and sustained peace (albeit with the usual minor skirmishes ). Little did they realise that two world wars weren't that far off.

Just another way of keeping the population in check and getting rid of those useless leaders. Chicken 'flu or bullet ? You decide!

HOLA4423

Let's remember that the two most money-hating leaders whose ideology would tempt many Bush-haters these days (assuming they didn't know what would come of them) are Hitler and Stalin.

Maybe Bush isn't so bad? Or Blair?

I'm going to hide in a dustbin for a bit :(

Bush killed his own people on 9-11 as he pulled the twin towers and his actions is that of the 4th antichrist, and I’m not even religious.

Bush and Blair made a grab for the oil using the new pearl harbour as an excuse but it’s not fooling the Russians or the Japs and the rest of the world is sick of financing US debt via PetroDollars so good luck to anyone that wants to sell oil in other currencies.

HOLA4424

Indeed. Those guys have been at each others throats seriously ever since 100 years after Mohammed's death, over which religious fashion is the real muslim. That is 1300 years worth of teeth, eyes and petty, nasty insanity -- what makes anyone think they'll stop now that each side thinks they are close to victory? :ph34r:

Ths Shia and Sunni divide ^H^H^H^H^H^Hchasm is everywhere, and something people should take into account more when panicking over the oilsupply and assorted other worries.

Btw, what stops the nefarious US treasury from simply printing more $ to change into any currency they like? The same thing that stops any country from overdoing this. :P

HOLA4425

Bush killed his own people on 9-11 as he pulled the twin towers and his actions is that of the 4th antichrist, and I’m not even religious.

Bush and Blair made a grab for the oil using the new pearl harbour as an excuse but it’s not fooling the Russians or the Japs and the rest of the world is sick of financing US debt via PetroDollars so good luck to anyone that wants to sell oil in other currencies.

Dear Justice,

I sell a great line in fashionable, discreet and comfortable tinfoil-lined hats to protect my fellow satan spotters. You definitly need one, because you foolishly and publicly stated the truth that Bush is the real Antichrist and so, there will be Insanityrays affecting your mind, which are directed at you by a secret department of the CIA to destroy and discredit you. Every mobile phone mast in the country is a potential source of danger for you!

Those rays work subtly, and you're already under attack by US agents, as is evidenced by this latest posting of yours. Never publicly admit you know who Satan really is!

PM me asap, to save your life and sanity, wear your tin-foil hat discreetly with pride.

Cinnamon, purveyor of fine headcasings crafted from bovine fruits.