House Price Crash Forum

'Why would I want a job?': Shameless benefits scroungers in seaside town boast they 'chill out and enjoy life'

HOLA441
22 hours ago, winkie said:

How can a girl get pregnant without a boy...... impossible, uneducated reckless young people, the guys should know better making children they can't support.;)

Stem Cells can be coaxed to develop into an egg or sperm carrying the donors dna (irrespective of their biological sex). Its already been done in mice, and is being developed for humans now link

Since the 60s we've seen a long slow erosion of mens role and rights (particularly parental rights) in society. This is just another nail in the coffin of the western male. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
23 hours ago, 14stFlyer said:

I am not sure anything has changed.   In  1980 it would have been working at the Little Chef or Happy Eater. In 2000 it was Nando’s.  In 2020 it was Five guys.  Same sh*t, different name.  

Most jobs have always just been a way of getting money to live.  In every generation, some lucky people manage to get paid to do what they want to do, and some still do.  The difference is that the percentage of kids going to university has gone up, the percentage of kids told that they have excellent qualifications and “the world is their oyster” has gone up, and the expectations of parents that their children will have better working lives than they had is everywhere.  Yet the distribution of jobs remains unchanged.  Ultimately the majority of every generation end up doing jobs that they do not want to do. I can see no reason to assume the current generation will be anything different…

Yes. I agree with much of this. That said I think there are two things coming together. For much of the population, that job in Little Chef would have been enough to rent a home and start being a working class family. That is harder now. Property nad assets are up in value while labour is worth relatively less. 

So, you have the difference of a sixteen year old working at Little Chef in 1980 and starting his career, with ten years to build up to property (rent or buy) and married life, whereas a 21 year old in 2024 with a mediocre degree coming out with and starting his career is in a rougher place. It is easy to say that the 21 year old should have not bothered with the degree, but that would not have helped, but been an end to his career.

HOLA444
3 hours ago, Trampa501 said:

Lucky? Some would say the opposite. One woman can create enough hassle/stress for one man. 

I take it as a quick rule of thumb that any husband who would want more than one wife is a bad husband.

HOLA445
57 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

That is harder now. Property nad assets are up in value while labour is worth relatively less. 

Yep.  We could just as well say “earned income levels are too low” as “house prices are too high”.  It means the same thing I guess.  Regardless, it is resulting in another disillusioned generation who are not getting a just reward for their graft.   

HOLA446
HOLA447