House Price Crash Forum

Police and squatters

HOLA441
HOLA442

No they can't trespass and squatting are civil issues unfortunately. Just like the travellers that moved onto the local field. You need a court injunction to get them moved. Now failing to adhere to a court injunction is another matter entirely. And criminal.

HOLA443

You're still free to 'help' squatters leave from your property - provided you don't use excessive force.

I remember as a young boy, and in an era of greater community spirit, seeing my grandfather and a few other men in the street 'roll up their sleeves' and, with the elderly owners permission, forcibly enter a house that had been taken over by some "hippies" and send them on their way in, admittedly, a less than dignified way.

Problem solved in less than 15 minutes with no need for the police, solicitors or courts.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA444
19 hours ago, anonguest said:

You're still free to 'help' squatters leave from your property - provided you don't use excessive force.

I remember as a young boy, and in an era of greater community spirit, seeing my grandfather and a few other men in the street 'roll up their sleeves' and, with the elderly owners permission, forcibly enter a house that had been taken over by some "hippies" and send them on their way in, admittedly, a less than dignified way.

Problem solved in less than 15 minutes with no need for the police, solicitors or courts.

In the days of mobile phones and streaming, the cops would be more interested in the evictors than the evicted.

I believe the issue is with business premises though, easier to trespass individuals from your home.

HOLA445
7 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

In the days of mobile phones and streaming, the cops would be more interested in the evictors than the evicted.

I believe the issue is with business premises though, easier to trespass individuals from your home.

Squatting in private homes has been illegal since about 2014, you can go to prison if caught. The same rule does not apply to commercial premises like offices and Pubs. 

HOLA446
On 4/13/2024 at 5:54 PM, anonguest said:

Another piece of fiction.

HOLA447
On 14/04/2024 at 13:12, AThirdWay said:

Well, a phone could easily be accidentally terminally damaged in any kerfuffle that starts up...it might even go missing, who knows.

Edited by MancTom

HOLA448
9 hours ago, MancTom said:

Well, a phone could easily be accidentally terminally damaged in any kerfuffle that starts up...it might even go missing, who knows.

Ooo, recording footage to your phone? That's very last century old chap!

Here in the 2020's, you'll be able to look up that footage of assault and damage to property on -insert platform of choice here- almost immediately 😂