House Price Crash Forum

UK house prices predicted to fall again based on recent sales agreed

HOLA441

UK house prices predicted to fall again based on recent sales agreed

https://propertyindustryeye.com/uk-house-prices-predicted-to-fall-again-based-on-recent-sales-agreed/

"Residential property prices will fall 3.6% in the first quarter of the year, based on deals agreed between buyers and sellers in Q4 2023, Reallymoving’s House Price Forecast Q1 2024 shows.

The research is based on analysis of approximately 115,000 conveyancing quote forms, which are completed by buyers once a deal is agreed, giving insight into what they have agreed to pay before the transaction completes. The graph below shows how Reallymoving’s data anticipates Land Registry housing market trends

Conveyancing quote data indicates what buyers have agreed to pay three months before Land Registry data is published: 

Period Average Price Agreed Quarterly Change Annual Change
2023 Q1 £323,443 -4.6% +7.9%
2023 Q2 £326,468 +0.9% -2.2%
2023 Q3 £336,999 +3.2% -1.6%
2023 Q4 £323,594 -4.0% -4.5%
2024 Q1 £311,936 -3.6% -3.6%

Reallymoving captures the price buyers have just agreed to pay for a property when they secure quotes for conveyancing services on the comparison site. This service is used by almost 10% of all home movers in the UK, providing a unique forecast of Land Registry data in 3 months’ time.

Analysis of house price data from over 115,000 conveyancing quotes shows that the average property price will fall from £323,594 in Q4 2023 to £311,936 in Q1 2024. Annual house price growth is also at -3.6%, meaning house prices are currently £11,500 lower than a year ago".

Edited by fellow

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I wouldn't even trust "sale agreed" figures. There is a house in this road for sale with no forward chain. After a couple of months and a price reduction it went to Sold STC. Months later it is back to For Sale.

How can I see the listing history on Rightmove to confirm these timings? It is possible that each period has been longer than a couple of months.  

Edited by TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack
?

HOLA446

Me again. Same line. “Nothing much is selling at all”.

The same houses have been on for many months, and despite being pitched lower than the 2023 peak.

I can’t see things changing because mortgage rates won’t drop considerably for at year another year.

Over the last 3-4 years food is up 50%. Energy has DOUBLED. Insurance up, subscriptions up, literally everything costs significantly more now and we are getting hit for more tax than ever. 

HOLA447
1 hour ago, Pmax2020 said:

Me again. Same line. “Nothing much is selling at all”.

The same houses have been on for many months, and despite being pitched lower than the 2023 peak.

I can’t see things changing because mortgage rates won’t drop considerably for at year another year.

Over the last 3-4 years food is up 50%. Energy has DOUBLED. Insurance up, subscriptions up, literally everything costs significantly more now and we are getting hit for more tax than ever. 

It does seem the only people moving are renters.

Every six months... 🫢

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Further, latest Nationwide figures versus the above Really Moving forecast values for England and Wales from here.

Big difference in absolute values and the RM plot is smoother, but there seems to be a reasonable correlation. Presumably the significant difference in absolute sale prices is probably due to RM's use by those buying more expensive properties.. so that's one potential source of error..

Adds some credibility to their predictions IMO :)

01.02.24 Nationwide, Really Moving_1.jpg

Edited by ftb_fml

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, ftb_fml said:

Further, latest Nationwide figures versus the above Really Moving forecast values for England and Wales from here.

Big difference in absolute values and the RM plot is smoother, but there seems to be a reasonable correlation. Presumably the significant difference in absolute sale prices is probably due to RM's use by those buying more expensive properties.. so that's one potential source of error..

Adds some credibility to their predictions IMO :)

01.02.24 Nationwide, Really Moving_1.jpg

The red one reminds me of something, can’t think what

IMG_3295.webp

HOLA4415
On 31/01/2024 at 08:18, fellow said:

2023 Q1 £323,443

2023 Q2 £326,468

2023 Q3 £336,999

Interesting; this matches my observations so far fairly closely. Pretty much nothing within my price range has sold in the two areas I'm looking to buy in so far for so let's hope the Q1 2024 figures will match what they suggest.