Rebound in economic data - inflation will follow shortly

HOLA441
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
On 18/01/2024 at 20:54, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz said:

Food inflation is going to get very interesting between now and June... it slipped in the run up to Xmas... now... not so much. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/jan/02/uk-grocery-inflation-food-price-rises-brexit-costs

Thought I'd bump this post from January.

I'm not sure interesting is the right word any more though.

I also think we might start to see shortages soon, particularly in vegetables and possibly milk.

HOLA443
HOLA444
7 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Vegetables - yes with this bad wet weather

Why milk?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/milk-shortage-ukraine-brexit-farmers_uk_624ad6c4e4b0587dee6c4175

Who knows....lots of stories about....nothing will be getting any cheaper.....except perhaps house prices?.....all those that do actually produce will want more, more mouths to feed....we prefer to plant wild flowers....

Very pretty.;)

HOLA445
44 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Vegetables - yes with this bad wet weather

Why milk?

It's a bit tenuous, which is why I said possibly.

But milk yields, production and deliveries have been falling for years and are expected to fall further this year.

https://ahdb.org.uk/news/dairy-march-forecast-update-marginal-decline-expected-in-gb-milk-production-for-2024-25

GB milk production is forecast to reach 12.25bn litres for the 2024/25 season, which is back by 0.6% compared to the previous milk year. The current milk year’s (2023/24) production is estimated to end the year at 0.6% down compared to 2022/23 at 12.32bn litres. Reduced yield has been one of the driving factors, which will contribute to lower production with herd size only seeing very minimal change. Wet weather during the last few months is likely to delay in turning out of the cows on the ground and will limit grass utilisation to an extent. (...)

Our baseline assumptions for the coming year are of yields falling whilst the rate of decline will be less in the first half of the year compared to second half. Yield through the summer and winter months are likely to slow down to between -0.5% to -2.5%.

But the reason for me including it as a possibility is because of its high visibility as a staple. I think one or two scary stories might be enough to trigger shelf clearing on the lines that we have previously seen with salad, hand sanitiser and, y'know, bog roll. Because it is difficult to hoard, I am aware that such a shortage may not last for very long, which would of course be A Good Thing.

On reflection, perhaps I should have gone with chips.

Edited by Timm

HOLA446
On 16/04/2024 at 14:15, Timm said:

But milk yields, production and deliveries have been falling for years and are expected to fall further this year.

https://ahdb.org.uk/news/dairy-march-forecast-update-marginal-decline-expected-in-gb-milk-production-for-2024-25

But the reason for me including it as a possibility is because of its high visibility as a staple. I think one or two scary stories might be enough to trigger shelf clearing on the lines that we have previously seen with salad, hand sanitiser and, y'know, bog roll. Because it is difficult to hoard, I am aware that such a shortage may not last for very long, which would of course be A Good Thing.

milk production is shifting so much - due to economic pressures - could easily end up with major problems. 

was speaking to local baker today and he said flour costs had shot up. 

HOLA447
9 minutes ago, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz said:

milk production is shifting so much - due to economic pressures - could easily end up with major problems. 

was speaking to local baker today and he said flour costs had shot up. 

Wheat prices have collapsed since January 🤔 

HOLA448
HOLA449
6 minutes ago, Stewy said:

Wheat prices have collapsed since January 🤔 

And absolutely cratered since 2022.

But to be fair to the baker, they are up about 10% in the last month or so.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
7 minutes ago, Stewy said:

Fell this month, will crumble next. 

Sadly It won't. There's been some food discounting (no doubt supported by profits at the multiples) - other than that... no. Abysmal forecasting once again by the usual suspects. Heaven knows where my forecasting ends up (I think my bosses keep it under wraps for their own competitive advantage lol!). 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
On 16/04/2024 at 14:15, Timm said:

Looks like I was wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/23/grocery-price-inflation-prices-retailers-easter

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
On 17/04/2024 at 16:22, Stewy said:

Interest rate hike beginning to be priced in - in the USA: https://www.ft.com/content/8c5da64b-766e-4993-86f5-aac95342432a

Economic activity data on the upside here in the UK... 

Too much stimulus, basically - the politicians and central banks are at fault. Inflation will come down - next reading - but after that all bets are off... may even follow the US up again! 

HOLA4418
On 17/04/2024 at 16:22, Stewy said:

After a weaker than expected GDP reading but stronger than expected PCE Price Index, another rate cut was just priced-out. < the USA. 

The data will continue moving in this direction partly due to Ukraine... higher oil prices coming through right now... stimulus from defence sector, here (war rather than defence but hey...)

The inflation data here in the UK will look OK at the next reading, then worsen steeply. 

HOLA4419
10 minutes ago, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz said:

The inflation data here in the UK will look OK at the next reading, then worsen steeply. 

I keep seeing this hopium now - the acceptance that I was right about us hitting target BUT BUT BUT "just you wait, it's going higher again".

It's pure copium because this wasn't the message the same people were saying six months ago. 

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
15 hours ago, Stewy said:

I keep seeing this hopium now - the acceptance that I was right about us hitting target BUT BUT BUT "just you wait, it's going higher again".

It's pure copium because this wasn't the message the same people were saying six months ago. 

Sadly it's just the data - I don't really care one way or the other as have a house and no mortgage. I work for a bank doing forward forecasting and so on. The data told us all that numerous IR cuts were unlikely this year - that has been proven to be correct. The problem is every analyst I know was suggesting the same back in January - the media screaming the opposite... now we move into reality the media changes its tune but doesn't apologise for its misleading nonsense. 

Edited by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425