House Price Crash Forum

Rebound in economic data - inflation will follow shortly

HOLA441
5 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

I don't think that's true, or at least I think it's only a part of the picture and not even necessarily a big part.

There are plenty of people in my circles who are couples of two professionals, total income >£200k, massive house, who only have 1 child.  I think that there a lot more reasons behind it, to do with lifestyle in part and also the fact that in Western socierty people dont rely on children to look after them in old age.   

True - lifestyle/cost (not sure how those two can be split from one another - often the same issue) - are the largest issues beyond age: https://yougov.co.uk/society/articles/25364-why-are-britons-choosing-not-have-children

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
3 minutes ago, Stewy said:

People staying as "kids" until it's too late.

Noone has any harsh realities to make them grow up nowadays...everything is easy and life is luxurious...living like Princes...  👑

I think it's a bit shit really - the economy - when I was young I earned £10 an hour as a gardener, and houses in my locality cost £140,000 - these days I'd earn about £20 an hour in the same location and houses cost around £900,000. The economy has ceased to function for ordinary people. 

HOLA443
6 minutes ago, Stewy said:

People staying as "kids" until it's too late.

Noone has any harsh realities to make them grow up nowadays...everything is easy and life is luxurious...living like Princes...  👑

Job insecurity (particularly for middle to high earners) also appears to be a key factor. https://cepr.org/voxeu/columns/family-consequences-job-insecurity-fertility-and-marriage

HOLA444
25 minutes ago, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz said:

I think it's a bit shit really - the economy - when I was young I earned £10 an hour as a gardener, and houses in my locality cost £140,000 - these days I'd earn about £20 an hour in the same location and houses cost around £900,000. The economy has ceased to function for ordinary people. 

Then move. £900k is ridiculous. You can get a lot of house for a fifth of that. 

Any tips about Star Jasmine? 🌱

HOLA445
12 minutes ago, Stewy said:

Then move. £900k is ridiculous. You can get a lot of house for a fifth of that. 

Any tips about Star Jasmine? 🌱

The RHS is always a good starting point: https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/18287/trachelospermum-jasminoides/details

I guess there was the option of moving elsewhere in that part of SE England but few areas are affordable these days. A huge mismatch between wages and house prices... now I am in Wales and it was very affordable just as SE England once was... but now the same mismatch is seen here. There used to be cheap places here but now prices are high vis-a-vis incomes, everywhere. 

HOLA446
27 minutes ago, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz said:

The RHS is always a good starting point: https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/18287/trachelospermum-jasminoides/details

I guess there was the option of moving elsewhere in that part of SE England but few areas are affordable these days. A huge mismatch between wages and house prices... now I am in Wales and it was very affordable just as SE England once was... but now the same mismatch is seen here. There used to be cheap places here but now prices are high vis-a-vis incomes, everywhere. 

There are loads of acceptable houses I could buy here on half a year's gross income.

People just want to live in the glozzy Sunday magazine places (and are still unhappy). 

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/04/03/ftse-100-latest-news-stock-exchange-brent-oil-eu-inflation/

US may be forced to delay interest rate cuts, warns Powell 

Jerome Powell has warned the Federal Reserve risks being forced to delay its first cut to interest rates because of stubborn inflation and strong economic growth, in a blow to mortgage borrowers around the world.

Strong jobs numbers and sustained price rises mean officials need to wait for more evidence before the world’s most powerful central bank can cut back borrowing costs, the Fed chairman said.

He added: “The job of sustainably restoring 2pc inflation is not yet done.

“We do not expect that it will be appropriate to lower our policy rate until we have greater confidence that inflation is moving sustainably down toward 2pc. Given the strength of the economy and progress on inflation so far, we have time to let the incoming data guide our decisions on policy.”

Edited by cdd

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Stewy said:

Not really. It's green shoots 🌱 plus cost-push deflation building for a magnificent 2024 ✓✓

2024 is already a quarter the way through - does any data suggest is it magnificent so far...?  I thought we were in a recession, with jobs vacancies falling?

HOLA4417
4 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

2024 is already a quarter the way through - does any data suggest is it magnificent so far...?  I thought we were in a recession, with jobs vacancies falling?

S&P’s purchasing managers’ index (PMI) for the services sector registered 53.1 in March, comfortably above the steady state 50. 

HOLA4418
3 minutes ago, Stewy said:

S&P’s purchasing managers’ index (PMI) for the services sector registered 53.1 in March, comfortably above the steady state 50. 

Well true - but then it said that in summer 2008 too and then look what happened...

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
14 minutes ago, Stewy said:

What are your criteria for which data to trust? 

Well, data on what has actually happened rather than just survey data on what people think might happen next.

HOLA4421
4 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Well, data on what has actually happened rather than just survey data on what people think might happen next.

Is the S&P’s purchasing managers’ index (PMI) irrelevant? 

HOLA4422
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Stewy said:

true - and that level of activity means a rate cut is less likely. I'm surprised the numbers have been so low up until now re: services - immigration alone should've pushed activity a good deal higher (probably the reason has overseen record level of immigration... their only way of providing economic growth). 

Edited by Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
1 minute ago, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz said:

true - and that level of activity means a rate cut is less likely. I'm surprised the numbers have been so low - immigration alone should've pushed up activity (probably the reason has overseen record level of immigration... their only way of providing economic growth). 

There is an opposite to stagflation you know. ✓ ✓

HOLA4425