House Price Crash Forum

Worse place to live in Britain

MarkD

HOLA441
On 12/30/2023 at 9:58 PM, A.steve said:

This is the problem with rental - the tenants are not invested.  A lick of paint is cheap - if you do it yourself.  On the other hand, if it's in an area rife with crime, what would be the motivation to ensure it remains habitable?

The crime, to me, seems the more significant factor.  If there were no crime, and the neighbours were decent people, I wouldn't mind renovating one to use as a basic London residence.  With the crime, the property is worthless and represents a millstone for anyone saddled with it.

The other issue is improvements to a property encourage the parasite, sorry landlord, to increase the rent.

HOLA442
20 minutes ago, bartelbe said:

The other issue is improvements to a property encourage the parasite, sorry landlord, to increase the rent.

Not the case with council rents, which as we know are a fraction of private rental. The council however receive rental income, this (should) cover maintenance.

HOLA443
5 hours ago, winkie said:

There was something like that for England and Wales......is it still available?

Best to have community with a mixture of colours, dark red to pale yellow.;)

Dark red is pretty grim unfortunately.

If you come to Scotland and visit those areas, I would advise driving through them with your doors locked. 

As a runner, those are the sorts of areas where there’s a reasonable chance you could be accosted or verbally abused. In fact, verbal abuse is a given in a lot of these sorts of areas I’ve made the mistake of running through in the past. 

HOLA444
20 hours ago, MarkD said:

When we lived down in Devon there was a piece on the local news about how a school in Cornwall hadn't received an 'outstanding' from ofstead because, and I quote, there wasn't enough diversity!🤣

Ridiculous.....nothing shocks anymore.;)

HOLA445
15 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

Dark red is pretty grim unfortunately.

If you come to Scotland and visit those areas, I would advise driving through them with your doors locked. 

As a runner, those are the sorts of areas where there’s a reasonable chance you could be accosted or verbally abused. In fact, verbal abuse is a given in a lot of these sorts of areas I’ve made the mistake of running through in the past. 

......well some places have changed for the better, other places for the worse.....places in London once a bit rough and edgy now gentrified.....many places have been neglected and written off, what do people expect?.....no good punishing crime, when not investing in society.;)

HOLA446
2 hours ago, winkie said:

......well some places have changed for the better, other places for the worse.....places in London once a bit rough and edgy now gentrified.....many places have been neglected and written off, what do people expect?.....no good punishing crime, when not investing in society.;)

Ermmm, from Luton originally..........I'll say no more😬🙄😄😳

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
On 30/12/2023 at 19:51, MarkD said:

This winds me up. Firstly, shipping containers, OK, not ideal, but doable. Look at the state of them though. Looks to me like the council put them up and then walked away. Where's the basic maintenance? Surely the council could organise a lick of paint. Or perhaps not?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12909245/The-worst-place-live-Britain-Families-fleeing-shipping-container-estate-plagued-gangs-prostitutes-call-rusting-homes-world-cesspit-children-killed.html

Times have changed not least of all because the numbers coming here which has in my view put an intolerable strain on most councils finances.

When I was a subcontracted carpenter at Poole Housing Partnership (Dorset HA) during dark lords reign in the mid 2000's we would move the tenant out, then gut the place back to brick in some cases and build them essentially a brand new house.

New kitchen, bathroom, rewire, re decorate, new flooring, fully replumbed with new gas boiler, the lot - so inside was brand new. Would they look after it? Would they fuk! 

Most of the tenants were full time doley's so not only was the tax payer footing the bill for the new home we built them but were paying their rent too!

The sense of entitlement with most of them was breathtaking, I say most, as the tenants that were my grandparents age were genuinely thankful for what we did.

I felt sorry for them when they had younger neighbours who thought nothing of dumping sofas and dead cars out front next to an immaculately kept lawn and frontage.

We christened the younger (under 60's) tenants 'Blair's children' such was their lack of emotional maturity & life skills coupled with olympic levels of laziness and obesity.

The council weren't blameless as they enabled this behaviour and Poole council like many in this country were truly woeful at budget allocation and investing for the long-term as they got caught up with the fallout from investing in Icelandic banks in 2008.

This ended up sinking the project but have to say earning £1500 to £2k a week 'job and knock' for a few years more than made up for it.

Needless to say those days (and projects) disappeared with New Labour..........

#thegoldenblairyears

HOLA4416
3 minutes ago, burk said:

Times have changed not least of all because the numbers coming here which has in my view put an intolerable strain on most councils finances.

When I was a subcontracted carpenter at Poole Housing Partnership (Dorset HA) during dark lords reign in the mid 2000's we would move the tenant out, then gut the place back to brick in some cases and build them essentially a brand new house.

New kitchen, bathroom, rewire, re decorate, new flooring, fully replumbed with new gas boiler, the lot - so inside was brand new. Would they look after it? Would they fuk! 

Most of the tenants were full time doley's so not only was the tax payer footing the bill for the new home we built them but were paying their rent too!

The sense of entitlement with most of them was breathtaking, I say most, as the tenants that were my grandparents age were genuinely thankful for what we did.

I felt sorry for them when they had younger neighbours who thought nothing of dumping sofas and dead cars out front next to an immaculately kept lawn and frontage.

We christened the younger (under 60's) tenants 'Blair's children' such was their lack of emotional maturity & life skills coupled with olympic levels of laziness and obesity.

The council weren't blameless as they enabled this behaviour and Poole council like many in this country were truly woeful at budget allocation and investing for the long-term as they got caught up with the fallout from investing in Icelandic banks in 2008.

This ended up sinking the project but have to say earning £1500 to £2k a week 'job and knock' for a few years more than made up for it.

Needless to say those days (and projects) disappeared with New Labour..........

#thegoldenblairyears

dave wells bring the northern doleys down in late 70's and the travellers that lived on the common in the 60's and now live in the sprawling council estates not helped as their offspring see better to not work than work just have a couple of kids.  Daily Mail article famous as have tweeted on a few occasions Britains poshest council flat. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10107923/council-flats-sandbanks-dorset-harry-redknapp/

HOLA4417
25 minutes ago, coypondboy said:

dave wells bring the northern doleys down in late 70's and the travellers that lived on the common in the 60's and now live in the sprawling council estates not helped as their offspring see better to not work than work just have a couple of kids.  Daily Mail article famous as have tweeted on a few occasions Britains poshest council flat. https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10107923/council-flats-sandbanks-dorset-harry-redknapp/

Dave Wells!

That's a name from the past, his lot provided quite a bit of our entertainment on site, whenever we saw his Luton vans roll up work would stop.

He'd either be evicting someone, see tenants possessions in black bags flying out the windows whilst the locksmith did his thing.

Or a public slanging match with said tenant about unpaid rent that would normally lead to the former event a couple of weeks later.

Just had a look at the article, it was as the project was winding down we did the flats by Poole pottery, Drake, Rodney and (I can't remember what the other one was called) Court.

It was when they were sorting out the subsidence problems with the new build flats on the old pottery works we were there doing the council blocks.

Had to laugh about paying stupid money for a view of Poole harbour when you got the same view for free in the council blocks with all the associated probs of a load of doley's for neighbours.

Last time I was in Poole near the quay it just looked a ghetto, only Sunseekers keeping the place alive.

Edited by burk