House Price Crash Forum

Why do people think new build estates are nice when they're not?

Si1

HOLA441
7 minutes ago, Si1 said:

In the days before daily quick showers it meant you might get a bath several times a week instead, spend half an hour or more in there. Having a loo in its own room saved someone else taking a poo in the same room as you having your relaxing bath. That's my take anyway.

The toilet being in a different room tothe bath makes perfect sense. It is the sink being with the bath rather than the toilet that troubled me.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
3 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The toilet being in a different room tothe bath makes perfect sense. It is the sink being with the bath rather than the toilet that troubled me.

Oh right. If you only bath a few times a week then in-between those times you'd have a good scrub at the sink. So the sink needs to be in the bathroom for this purpose.

HOLA443
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

Oh right. If you only bath a few times a week then in-between those times you'd have a good scrub at the sink. So the sink needs to be in the bathroom for this purpose.

Yes, but still, it is nice to wash your hands after going to the toilet. Particularly a #2.

HOLA444
HOLA445
20 hours ago, winkie said:

Lots of 1930s properties were build with bath and wash basin separate from the toilet next door......I kind of prefer that, the in thing was to knock the wall down to make the loo sit next to the bath/shower in the same room......seen a shower actually fitted in a bedroom, what is that all about?;)

My childhood 30's house was all in one but our current 50's is separate - until next year..

HOLA446
HOLA447
6 hours ago, Si1 said:

In the days before daily quick showers it meant you might get a bath several times a week instead, spend half an hour or more in there. Having a loo in its own room saved someone else taking a poo in the same room as you having your relaxing bath. That's my take anyway.

Back in the 70's Sunday night was our bath night, no other time of the week. We were rich enough not to share the same water though😉

HOLA448
24 minutes ago, Fishfinger said:

Back in the 70's Sunday night was our bath night, no other time of the week. We were rich enough not to share the same water though😉

Luxury!

When I was a lad we used a puddle the middle of road once a month! 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
1 hour ago, Fishfinger said:

Still share water......the cleanest one that likes it hot first.......such a waste to run almost clean hot water down the drain when the next can jump in and just top up with more hot if required......saves on bubble bath also.;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
4 hours ago, winkie said:

Exactly that......if the bathroom is engaged, run downstairs to wash hands.....;)

Certainly was the case with the house I lived in in Oxford.

Also, you could here who washed their hands or not. There was not that much of a divide in the sexes.

HOLA4414

What gets on my nerves is the roads are so narrow, and house now are built only to accommodate one car parking space where they used accommodate two per house, this makes navigating through them a nightmare.

I noticed on the new build housing estate near me, even splay on the junction out to the main road is much do narrower than it would have been on older building developments, this means cars is pulling out onto the main road have to go wide onto the other side - oncoming traffic to turn left.

eg, 70/80s on left, new build junction on right 
 https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6190122,-2.5124953,40m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu