House Price Crash Forum

Grant Shapps to send UK troops to Ukraine

shlomo

HOLA441

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/09/30/grant-shapps-to-send-uk-troops-to-ukraine/

British troops will be deployed in Ukraine for the first time under plans being discussed with military chiefs, the new Defence Secretary has disclosed. 
In an interview with The Telegraph, Grant Shapps said that he had held talks with Army leaders about shifting an official British-led training programme “into Ukraine” rather than relying on UK and other Nato members’ bases. He also called on more British defence firms to set up factories in Ukraine. 
Following a trip to Kyiv last week, Mr Shapps also revealed that he had talked to Volodymyr Zelensky, the Ukrainian president, about how Britain’s Navy could play a role in defending commercial vessels from Russian attacks in the Black Sea. 
Both moves would mark a significant escalation in the UK’s involvement in defending Ukraine against Vladimir Putin’s onslaught. 

However, following a briefing with General Sir Patrick Sanders, the Chief of the General Staff, and other senior personnel at Salisbury Plain, Mr Shapps said: “I was talking today about eventually getting the training brought closer and actually into Ukraine as well.
“Particularly in the west of the country, I think the opportunity now is to bring more things ‘in country’ – not just training, but also we’re seeing BAE [the UK defence firm], for example, move into manufacturing in country, for example. 
“I’m keen to see other British companies do their bit as well by doing the same thing. So I think there will be a move to get more training and production in the country.” 

Separately, having assured Mr Zelensky on Wednesday that the UK “will continue to stand shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine”, Mr Shapps suggested that Britain was preparing to play a more active role helping the country to defend itself against attacks in the Black Sea, where Russia has been increasingly targeting cargo ships carrying grain. 
The Defence Secretary, who replaced Ben Wallace in a mini-reshuffle a month ago, said: “We’ve seen in the last month or so, developments – really the first since 2014 in the Black Sea, in Crimea – and Britain is a naval nation so we can help and we can advise, particularly since the water is international water. 
“It’s important that we don’t allow a situation to establish by default that somehow international shipping isn’t allowed in that water. So I think there’s a lot of places where Britain can help advise. did discuss it with President Zelensky and many others this week.”

Deploying British troops to Ukraine or offering naval support in the Black Sea would mark a significant escalation in the UK’s involvement in the conflict. 
But Mr Shapps’s remarks also appear to mark a shift in the Government’s approach to publicly discussing the deployment of personnel – a move that was mirrored by France on Saturday when the French military revealed that its aircraft were carrying out surveillance over the Black Sea.
It has previously been claimed that up to 50 British personnel were among Western special forces present in Ukraine earlier this year – a matter that the Government would never discuss publicly. 

1520199677157?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=FDU4

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
7 minutes ago, Maghull Mike said:

This is either:-

Brain fart or decoy from something else.

Has anyone asked him if a Russian hyper sonic missile hits a group of British service personal in Ukraine, what will be Britain's response?

Mike

Decoy for sure. We need to dig deeper to found from what.

Insane idea. And yes, when the hypersonic lands on them, then what? As for the "Navy"? What "Navy", 2 ships & 1 sub. Russians laughing like crazy.

While our schools, airports & roads crumble.

Edited by yodigo

HOLA447

I think they are out of ideas............Ukraine is part of it but BOY they F**KED up when they stole the Russian reserves. Suddenly in the blink of an eye the rest of the world saw what the bankrupt West had in store for them!

What was a slight drift to other settlement means is becoming a flood.

They massively over played a weak hand

HOLA448

Very good news. We won't be 'at war with ruZZia' but we'll have more troops there helping with logistics, training, planning, investigating ongoing war crimes, keeping supply lines open, and morale. In a war of attrition any extra support is extremely effective, for the defenders but also against the invaders - especially when they mostly don't want to be there and have no true objective either. Slava Ukraine.

HOLA449

I think this could be coming to an end. The US just left out additional Ukraine aid from a measure to keep the government running until Nov. 17. Omitting $6 billion of aid to Ukraine, roughly a third of what has been requested by the White House. Both the House and Senate voted in favour of the measure. 

Perhaps they are realising tax payers don't want their hard earnt dollars funding a never ending meat grinder of human lives.

HOLA4410

Ukraine is corrupt, not as bad as Russia, but still corrupt.  

https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2022

It has lost thousands of able bodied men due to this corruption.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66478422

It now needs foreign troops to fill the gaps.

Didn't anyone learn from Afghanistan?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/aug/30/afghanistan-us-corruption-taliban

One reason the Afghan military collapsed so quickly was because, in part, it did not actually exist. In July, President Biden claimed that the Afghan army had 300,000 troops, but the Pentagon knew those numbers were inflated. Afghan military commanders had been pocketing extra money allocated for fake soldiers. “The number of ghost personnel may go into the tens of thousands,” said John Sopko, the special inspector general for Afghan reconstruction, in a 2017 speech. A West Point report, released in January, estimated the Afghan government had a real fighting force of only 96,000. And by the time Kabul fell, these soldiers were reportedly no longer receiving a salary, or even food.

HOLA4411
14 minutes ago, Gbob said:

I think this could be coming to an end. The US just left out additional Ukraine aid from a measure to keep the government running until Nov. 17. Omitting $6 billion of aid to Ukraine, roughly a third of what has been requested by the White House. Both the House and Senate voted in favour of the measure. 

Perhaps they are realising tax payers don't want their hard earnt dollars funding a never ending meat grinder of human lives.

Perhaps European countries are trying to make up the shortfall, the US had immensely profited from this war, phenomenal weapons sales lots of energy sales and cannot see much point continuing as its main enemy is China, so European countries have to fill the gaps even if it means boots on the ground 

HOLA4412
22 minutes ago, Gbob said:

I think this could be coming to an end.

This view runs contrary to that of Democrats like Clinton... who seems to be drawing parallels between the Mujahedeen conflict from the 1970s onwards.  Many view that conflict to have been a war of attrition between Russia and rebels in Afghanistan - who perpetuated a war of attrition - that was politically useful to western interests.  Perhaps that went well - until 2001, at least.  If the strategy in Afghanistan had been good, one must wonder why it ended with what looked like an emergency withdrawal by Western forces.

It seems obvious to me that some serious people have skin-in-the-game in Ukraine.  I find less clear their identity; their stake and their actual objectives.

HOLA4413
13 minutes ago, A.steve said:

It seems obvious to me that some serious people have skin-in-the-game in Ukraine.  I find less clear their identity; their stake and their actual objectives.

Senator releases FBI source's claim of Biden bribes from Ukraine

https://twitter.com/ChuckGrassley/status/1682081403742068746

The memo contains a claim that Hunter Biden was hired by the Ukrainian energy company, Burisma, in 2013 as a way to gain support from his father, who was the US vice-president at the time.

It also alleges that Burisma made two $5m (£3.9m) payments to "the Bidens" as part of its efforts to remove Ukraine's prosecutor general at the time, Viktor Shokin - and that there were audio recordings of both Hunter and Joe Biden that supported this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66272217

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
4 minutes ago, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

Senator releases FBI source's claim of Biden bribes from Ukraine

I was aware of the allegations about Hunter Biden... There's definitely something murky going on there... but I am not clear exactly what it is.  I found it significant that both the Republican and Democrat entourages had so many connections to Ukraine/Russia.  The only firm conclusion I can draw is that I don't understand why that should be so.  Similarly, when Crimea was invaded, I was extremely surprised that this seemed to be accepted by the West.

HOLA4416
25 minutes ago, A.steve said:

I was aware of the allegations about Hunter Biden... There's definitely something murky going on there... but I am not clear exactly what it is.  I found it significant that both the Republican and Democrat entourages had so many connections to Ukraine/Russia.  The only firm conclusion I can draw is that I don't understand why that should be so.  Similarly, when Crimea was invaded, I was extremely surprised that this seemed to be accepted by the West.

Corruption leads to more corruption, as only the corrupt can do business. Both the Republicans and the Democrats have been doing business.

HOLA4417
7 hours ago, Up the spout said:

Very good news. We won't be 'at war with ruZZia' but we'll have more troops there helping with logistics, training, planning, investigating ongoing war crimes, keeping supply lines open, and morale. In a war of attrition any extra support is extremely effective, for the defenders but also against the invaders - especially when they mostly don't want to be there and have no true objective either. Slava Ukraine.

Have you got government approval for volunteering?

29 minutes ago, Rolypoly said:

Young men from UK needed to replace young men from Ukraine now living in UK.

Exactly.

HOLA4418

Should this not be a referendum issue ? I'm sure the Swiss would ask their folk if they want to a) send troops and b) fund foreign military ventures..

If it all goes horribly wrong, what next forced conscription ?

Someone said that is coming to the US in the not distant future...would not be surprised as they can't recruit enough anymore....

HOLA4419
38 minutes ago, Rolypoly said:

I was watching the Arnie thing on Netflix the 3 parter....he was in the US at the time of vietnam war and it occurred to me he was totally immune from the whole thing as he was Austrian...this was at a time when tens of thousands were fleeing the draft to Canada and elsewhere....

It was kind of perverse he got all the benefits of life in California at a time when it was really working against US boys...especially poor boys....

HOLA4420
54 minutes ago, Rolypoly said:

We have thousands of volunteers arriving each year. Lots of fighting age men who were unwilling to fight of freedom and democracy in their old countries. Maybe they should earn their British passports in Ukraine?

Refugee-boat-Aegean-322990494.jpg

HOLA4421
7 minutes ago, staintunerider said:

If it all goes horribly wrong, what next forced conscription ?

Someone said that is coming to the US in the not distant future...would not be surprised as they can't recruit enough anymore....

Scary thought 

HOLA4422
9 minutes ago, staintunerider said:

Should this not be a referendum issue ? I'm sure the Swiss would ask their folk if they want to a) send troops and b) fund foreign military ventures..

If it all goes horribly wrong, what next forced conscription ?.

There wouldn't be enough room in the prisons for all the people that would refuse

HOLA4423

The British Expeditionary Force (BEF) was the contingent of the British Army sent to Ukraine in 2023 after Britain and France declared war on Russia on 3 September, beginning the Third World War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Expeditionary_Force_(World_War_II)

HOLA4424

Hmm, suppose a limited engagement with the eastern front meat grinder could be bearish for continued HPI, more likely to increasing the supply of UK shelter, reduce future care home provisioning and increase the number of available women... 😜

Edited by DarkHorseWaits-NoMore
dyslexic mo fo

HOLA4425