HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Produces over £26k per year?

That's the entire annual take-home pay of someone on £33,500k, which is approximately the UK average wage.

This absurd house of cards can't come crashing down quick enough. 

Edited by Orb

HOLA448
9 minutes ago, Orb said:

Produces over £26k per year?

That's the entire annual take-home pay of someone on £33,500k, which is approximately the UK average wage.

This absurd house of cards can't come crashing down quick enough. 

But it's fine when someone has 400k in 6% fixed savings, producing 25k? 

The problem isn't property rental per se, or rental yields 5% above base rate (why else would anyone bother?)  its massive wealth/asset inequality. 

Edited by mynamehere

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
33 minutes ago, mynamehere said:

But it's fine when someone has 400k in 6% fixed savings, producing 25k?

If it means the same person isn't milking an entire year's take-home pay from someone to receive that £25k, then yes, that's fine by me. Earning that from savings seems less heinous to me. 

HOLA4412
26 minutes ago, Orb said:

If it means the same person isn't milking an entire year's take-home pay from someone to receive that £25k, then yes, that's fine by me. Earning that from savings seems less heinous to me. 

it's a four bedroom flat.  The average net income for a four bed flat in SE17 is presumably a lot more than 25k, on average.

I personally wouldn't want to earn money from tenants either. But nor am I a saint for sitting on piles of cash without putting it to any kind of productive use.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
1 hour ago, PropertyMania said:

absolutely astonishing that somebody is paying £2,200/month to live there. When you think of what is available in the rest of the world for that money, something has gone badly wrong 

New York? Singapore? Hong Kong? Geneva? Etc

Wouldn't even get that for the money.

Comparing London with Scunthorpe is super interesting but also somewhat irrelevant.. unless you want to live in Scunthorpe of course 

Edited by captainb

HOLA4415
24 minutes ago, captainb said:

Comparing London with Scunthorpe is super interesting but also somewhat irrelevant.. unless you want to live in Scunthorpe of course 

https://www.immobilier.ch/en/rent/apartment/geneva/page-1?t=rent&c=1&p=s40&nb=false&gr=1

https://www.immobilier.ch/en/rent/apartment/geneva/bernex/caisse-pensions-migros-ecublens-1557/group-visit-on-monday-august-07-2023-from-4-30-pm-to-5-30-pm-947288

This is even better, £3000 for a new build 104sqm. For that price in London you’re probably looking at a 2 bed at the moment in a nice area. 

https://www.immobilier.ch/en/rent/apartment/geneva/troinex/naef-immobilier-location-residentielle-1850/face-saleve-spacieux-lumineux-45-pieces-grand-balcon-belle-vue-947035

A city with an average household income of at least 200k francs. 

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
3 hours ago, PropertyMania said:

absolutely astonishing that somebody is paying £2,200/month to live there. When you think of what is available in the rest of the world for that money, something has gone badly wrong 

More than likely 4 people sharing, could be even more if there are couples in the rooms.  

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, captainb said:

What about the remaining 99.9% of the word's land mass? Mega cities are less relevant now. 

Give me a detached house in Scunthorpe any day over that dump

HOLA4420
7 minutes ago, PropertyMania said:

What about the remaining 99.9% of the word's land mass? Mega cities are less relevant now. 

Give me a detached house in Scunthorpe any day over that dump

That's great then prices in Scunthorpe are relevant prices in London irrelevant.

Really don't agree with that mega city statement on a global basis.

If anything the reverse has been happening.

Also not convinced I want to live on the Russian or Canadian tundra.

HOLA4421
11 minutes ago, captainb said:

That's great then prices in Scunthorpe are relevant prices in London irrelevant.

Really don't agree with that mega city statement on a global basis.

If anything the reverse has been happening.

Also not convinced I want to live on the Russian or Canadian tundra.

Wake up dude. London has got the highest salary house price ratio in the developed world. And that building is a pile of shit that should be knocked down.
But there’s a t**t trying to sell it for 400k, 12* the average salary in London and maybe 20x local wages. 

That flat is currently rented to at least 6 people living in it as people do in Mumbai. And they’re surely not paying for it. That t**t‘s income is coming from my taxes for sure. 

Edited by NoHPCinTheUK

HOLA4422
2 hours ago, captainb said:

Ok then, 1.2k-1,4k a month on the south coast (not Brighton obviously, lots of cheaper places). Maybe commute into London twice a week, wfh the rest or completely online. Surely there must be decent schools outside London?

HOLA4423
9 minutes ago, NoHPCinTheUK said:

Wake up dude. London has got the highest salary house price ratio in the developed world. And that building is a pile of shit that should be knocked down.
But there’s a t**t trying to sell it for 400k, 12* the average salary in London and maybe 20x local wages. 

That flat is currently rented to at least 6 people living in it as people do in Mumbai. And they’re surely not paying for it. That t**t‘s income is coming from my taxes for sure. 

Agreed.

Aside from the highlighted bit which isnt even in top 50, globally with many of those developed.

Paris for example is worse. Tiny super expensive flats 

https://www.numbeo.com/property-investment/rankings.jsp

Edited by captainb

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
1 minute ago, Trampa501 said:

Ok then, 1.2k-1,4k a month on the south coast (not Brighton obviously, lots of cheaper places). Maybe commute into London twice a week, wfh the rest or completely online. Surely there must be decent schools outside London?

Yeah I would or Margate even. 

Issue people have is cost of commuting and trend towards back in office.

Citi Bank latest to go back to 5 days a week.