House Price Crash Forum

Inflation Busting Pay Rise For The Armed Forces

ianbeale

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Inflation busting pay rise for the armed forces 3-3.3%

In addition to encouraging an expanded cadet force (cannon fodder/Hitler youth - delete as appropriate), it is probably part of the recruiting drive for the following methinks;

iran_map.gif

post-3807-1140119936.gif

Edited by Mrliberty

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

In addition to encouraging an expanded cadet force (cannon fodder/Hitler youth - delete as appropriate), it is probably part of the recruiting drive for the following methinks;

iran_map.gif

Let's just hope you're not referring to the current British Forces as 'cannon fodder or Hitler youth', especially as your liberty, Mr Liberty, relies on these brave people.

HOLA448

3% is nothing, principle nickpickers have seen rises in double digits over recent years.

I encountered a new environmental inspector from the local council today, he was an affable chap but freely admitted he didn't know anything about the equipment he was inspecting as he'd recently moved from his former paper shuffling post. People often just buy new kit when faced with stuff like this, except it goes on the first boat to Shanghai. :rolleyes:

HOLA449
Let's just hope you're not referring to the current British Forces as 'cannon fodder or Hitler youth', especially as your liberty, Mr Liberty, relies on these brave people.

I have friends in all 3 branches of the armed forces, so no. I don't doubt our forces bravery or courage for a moment, but I struggle to understand how invading Iraq under the conditions and circumstances we did is defending my liberty. They should never have been sent there in the first place, and our liberty has been threatened more by our actions than our inactions. While I do not want to see Iran with nukes, I don't want the UK to be sending its soldiers into another conflict that could possibly be avoided, when Iraq, is still (to quote from one soldier I know) "Northern Ireland X 1000 in a country the size of France".

The proposed increased cadet force (to which my hitler youth comment was refering), is just another example of NuLabour trying from all angles to increase levels of Statism. I have nothing wrong with cadets, being a former air cadet myself. What is happening here is something completely different - a potential for indoctrination from an early age perhaps?

HOLA4410

Yes, they are brave, and yes I think they should probably get more than this paltry pay-rise (mind you, I doubt I will).

BUT, please do not sit there imagining that just because we are British we are incapable of f*cking up: or imagine that the current war is about 'freedom' and 'democracy' when it has more to do with resources. I am not saying there is necessarily anything so bad about that, just that it is the truth...to say we rely on them for our freedom at the current time is disingenious to say the least: if the great red menace was bearing down on us then maybe we would...but it is not: we have invaded a foreign country under dubious pretences - that is all that is happening at the moment.

There is no enemy fleet massing in Cadiz ready to attack and enslave us.

This is a major reason I don't think I could join the army - a soldier makes a solemn oath to obey orders, and must do so to enable the army to function. I am not sure I could join up and then be ordered here there or wherever at the whim of some crackpot politician, potentially on false pretences.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4719968.stm

I know this is not strictly public sector but how must GB be feeling now with his tough stance on pay back in november

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4465262.stm

Well that'll be about £30 a month extra for hubby. Thanks Gordon, that'll cover the 8x mortgage we'll need to buy a house ;)

HOLA4413

I don't have any misunderstanding of what is going on in Iraq and why we are there (David Kelly and BBC says it all). They are brave because they fight regardless of political stance. I found Liberty's post ambiguous and wanted it clarified. If you believe that our government is recruiting cadets in 'Hitler youth' style way I cannot comment because I have no knowledge of this but our armed forces are some of the best in the world, whether in Sierra Leone, Iraq or elsewhere.

HOLA4414

I don't have any misunderstanding of what is going on in Iraq and why we are there (David Kelly and BBC says it all). They are brave because they fight regardless of political stance. I found Liberty's post ambiguous and wanted it clarified. If you believe that our government is recruiting cadets in 'Hitler youth' style way I cannot comment because I have no knowledge of this but our armed forces are some of the best in the world, whether in Sierra Leone, Iraq or elsewhere.

agreed.

HOLA4415

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4719968.stm

I know this is not strictly public sector but how must GB be feeling now with his tough stance on pay back in november

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4465262.stm

Peanuts really

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Government needs to look after the army as soon it will need them to control the people as it tries to impose yet more draconian rules on it’s captives.

Police started doing a lot of riot training about two years ago but I’ve not worked out just why yet as the way things are going, I can think of ten reasons

the public needs to keep the army on side and not let them become puppets of the state.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Government needs to look after the army as soon it will need them to control the people as it tries to impose yet more draconian rules on it’s captives.

Police started doing a lot of riot training about two years ago but I’ve not worked out just why yet as the way things are going, I can think of ten reasons

the public needs to keep the army on side and not let them become puppets of the state.

Fact is you have more to fear from the your local law enforcement and military than foreign forces. That is a historical fact. If you are fair dinkum about protecting yourself, your family and your country you'd support the possession of firearms by law abiding citizens whom are of sound mind and body. In Iraq each family is allowed to possess one AK-47. It's ensured that whilst the coalition of the willing won against the Iraq army they have yet to win the war. In the US where states have Concealed Carry Laws crime has decreased. Where there are strict gun laws crime flourishes. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to draw the link.

I'm far far more likely to get killed by another Australian (seeing as I'm in Australia) than some Iranian peasant.

HOLA4421

Well that'll be about £30 a month extra for hubby. Thanks Gordon, that'll cover the 8x mortgage we'll need to buy a house ;)

Cor crikey, does your other half only get a thousand a month? That's stuff all. What rank is he to only get that?

HOLA4422

Considering the starting salary is a little under £14k for men, and a little over 21k for officers, I think 3.3 is the minimum required.

I think 3.3% is an insult to these poor bastards who are overstretched all over the world getting shot and killed. And for what?

HOLA4423
Guest Bart of Darkness

I think 3.3% is an insult to these poor bastards who are overstretched all over the world getting shot and killed. And for what?

Oil mainly.

HOLA4424

I'm all for keeping a check on public sector sepnding....but.....I served a few years in the miltary back in the late 80's early 90's.

Since my days there has been severe cutbacks in terms of sports & leisure facilities as well as opportunities for expeditions/travel (except Bosnia, Iraq, Afganistan). In my day this element of military life was considered to be a significant benefit/perk of being in the forces in lieu of salary. Since it's demise there has been little in the way of compensation to make up for the increased duty time and reduced opportunity.

Who got called out to conduct fire duties in addition to there own commitments when the fire service went on strike for a 30% pay increase? The fire service argued that "their lives where on the line" tell that to the families of those lost in the middle east.

If anyone on here is begrudging a 3.3% rise for these guys then I would suggest you really haven't much of a clue of what value UK gets from them.

Military Pay rates

HOLA4425

Gordon's now trying to take the credit:

0,,2006071246,00.jpg

That's like Bush in his jump suit, who's he pretending to be, Biggles?

I'm sorry but 3% is not inflation busting, we know ourselves that inflation is more inline with the 9% he usually gives to those ever so helpful Coordination Coordinance Coordinators.

The Sun is an absolute parody of itself, toadying ar$eholes.