House Price Crash Forum

Is This A Beginning Of A Run On Sterling?

Pluto

HOLA441

jonjo.

The market is always the best guess of future intrest rates, is called the rational expectations model, many people in the market will be using the same models as the BoE and possibly even better/more advanced models to predict future inflation, growth and monetary policy.

Problem is surely that can only work when there is some degree of rationality in the market, I don't see it and I don't and haven't seen any degree of control of many things for a long time, not lest of which is debt.

Thus, irrationally I am sitting with my finger hovering over the sell button with the intention of liquidating all my £ denominated investments and shifting the money elsewhere.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA442

Thus, irrationally I am sitting with my finger hovering over the sell button with the intention of liquidating all my £ denominated investments and shifting the money elsewhere.

I would stay clear of any FIAT currency right now. GOLD is the place to be until interest rates rise to at least 3-4% above inflation. That's real inflation - not the mickey mouse numbers the government put out.

HOLA443

The problem is once it's rolling, it'll be very hard to stop. Just watch.

We'll then all have another problem. If we buy we can expect virtually instant negative equity for the next few years. Not an exciting prospect?

When it reaches a point where you can afford it (assuming you are looking for a home to live in) its not a problem

You will be living in YOUR home for a few years and if it drops further, no worries - its only a paper drop and if you decide to move -everything else is cheaper, especally if you move up 'the ladder'

HOLA444

I would stay clear of any FIAT currency right now. GOLD is the place to be until interest rates rise to at least 3-4% above inflation. That's real inflation - not the mickey mouse numbers the government put out.

Yes, I have that well in mind. Wary of gold being zapped though, a basket of commodities and commodity plays being my preference,at the moment at least.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA445
HOLA446
this latest round will have centred on whether the economy will grow enough over the next few quarters to ensure inflation stays up near its 2% government-set target.

WTF?

They're worried that inflation will be _too low_? When the price of just about everything other than Chinese DVD players is exploding? What kind of warped parallel universe did I wake up in this morning?

HOLA447

WTF?

They're worried that inflation will be _too low_? When the price of just about everything other than Chinese DVD players is exploding? What kind of warped parallel universe did I wake up in this morning?

Yes, inflation is at 2%. The government said so, so it must be true. The government does not lie. The government will do what is best for the country regardless of what the opinion polls say.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Why do people think the government hides the real inflation figure. If this was possible previous governments would of done so.

Are you serious?

Fudging the inflation figures is the oldest trick in the book.

Just seems that the current government are hiding a mountain rather than a molehill.

HOLA4410

Interest rate markets are simply too liquid to be subject to much price distortion. the crux of the porblem is though is the MPC faces a significant dilema the nuances of which cannot be contained in a single price for money. if they lower IR's they reinflate the houseing bubble much further. if they raise rates the economy will tank. for that reason they will do nothing. I agree with the market. thats why Merv places so much emphasis on data. the data will tell us.

HOLA4411

Lex: Sterling

Published: February 8 2006 13:49 | Last updated: February 8 2006 19:34

Membership of the European Monetary Union is an issue that prompts nationalistic fervour from the UK’s political fringes and procrastination from the ruling Labour party. Have currency investors taken a more sanguine approach and decided that sterling is, in effect, already part of EMU?

Morgan Stanley offers this explanation for the stability of the euro/sterling exchange rate since mid-2003, even given generally low levels of market volatility. Increasing integration of the UK economy and the eurozone may have reduced currency fluctuations as investors accept the idea of structural convergence. Asian central banks, aware of this strengthening relationship, may view sterling as a higher-yielding proxy for the euro. The pound’s increasing share of official reserves, shown in the latest Bank for International Settlements survey, may be evidence of this trend.

More...................

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
thats why Merv places so much emphasis on data. the data will tell us.

But, uh, the data is fudged... and, even if it wasn't, it's impossible to map the state of a massively complex market involving vast millions of people into a few numbers.

Personally I think I'll be shifting more money out of sterling soon unless the BoE show some sign of growing balls... whether gold, foreign shares or Canadian dollars is another question, but the BoE clearly have no desire to preserve the value of my money.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Why do people think the government hides the real inflation figure. If this was possible previous governments would of done so.

Try this recent poll

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...0&gopid=295699&

Looks like the people who actually know what the real inflation figure is think that 6-8% is where its at...

On that basis it would seem that 'Crash' Gordon Brown and Phoney Bliar are once again proven to be corrupt unsavoury lying B-A-A-S-T-A-R-D-S!!!!!!

Well we knew that anyway and the recent by-election just reinforced how spent the Nu-Labour Trojan Horse is. :D:D:D

HOLA4418

GBP could break 1.70 against this USD on the 1.9% CPI number. If so the run on the pound could start.

The BoE would be foolish to decrease IR. But the pressure from Downing Street could be intense, Gordon "Boom 'n' Bust" Brown wants the number 10 spot.

Edited by Pluto

HOLA4419