Cash is Trash

HOLA441
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
34 minutes ago, Killer Bunny said:

Afraid that shows how misinformed you and many on HPC are.

Lol. Well please inform us all of where our money should be!

premium bonds currently have an annual prize fund interest rate of 1.4%. TAX FREE!

As an Additional rate taxpayer I pay 45% in tax on all other savings income. So to earn 1.4% net elsewhere I’d need to get 2.55% gross. Please tell me where I can get that.

Yes not everyone gets 1.4% but if you have the max amount invested you get very close and often better. My £50,000 in premium bonds is government backed so as safe as you can get and earning more than double when considering tax of any of my other savings accounts and It represents only a single digit % of my total savings but if the max premium bond limit was much higher I’d put much more in.

Yes there’s better investment options out there but nothing I can see that GUARANTEES protection of capital during volatile times when you’re waiting to buy a house. If equities fall back again I plan on going in big but not at 6000 level. Maybe I’ll regret that.

please share your superior investment knowledge with us all so we can all benefit too.

HOLA443
12 minutes ago, dirtysteve said:

Lol. Well please inform us all of where our money should be!

please share your superior investment knowledge with us all so we can all benefit too.

Laughing back at ya matey

Look at my bio to your left. Been there all along.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
35 minutes ago, Killer Bunny said:

?

? So 50% in gold miners, 10% in uranium and 40% in US. That leaves zero in cash!? I don’t follow uranium but 90% of your wealth between gold and US equities does look incredibly risky to me right now. Just being honest.  It’s not where I’d put my money but that means nothing. Good luck!

Gold is a massive gamble on the GBP/USD rate alone. Not for me.

HOLA448
1 hour ago, dirtysteve said:

? So 50% in gold miners, 10% in uranium and 40% in US. That leaves zero in cash!? I don’t follow uranium but 90% of your wealth between gold and US equities does look incredibly risky to me right now. Just being honest.  It’s not where I’d put my money but that means nothing. Good luck!

Gold is a massive gamble on the GBP/USD rate alone. Not for me.

?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

"The reality is the UK faces its greatest ever economic crisis. Q2 GDP is going to fall by 25% plus. There will be no V shape recovery. We are going to fail badly.  The treasury is wrestling with the implications of Project Birch – the plans to bail-out the failing large UK companies critical to the economy. Company balance sheets across the country are being distorted by increasing debt – the only way to pay down will be to cut costs. Retail sales are collapsing. Gilts are at negative yields.  Government borrowing in April exceeded £62 bln as expenditure rose 54% (compared to April 2019), while tax revenues tumbled 35%. Unemployment is going to explode. Companies across the nation are going bust at a record rate. Social deprivation is going to go through the roof. 

At the same time, we’re fighting to put together a new future for the UK outside the Eurozone, trying to agree the terms of trade deal with our former EU partners by the end of June, and struggling to avoid the breakup of the United Kingdom as nationalist pressures mount. 

Last week the UK was already a screaming sell, but you kind of believed there was hope, and on a relative basis to Europe, it wasn't so bad"

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ship-sinking-economy-holed-below-waterline

That about sums it up. And the answer, as always, will involve turning the crank on the printing press.

HOLA4411

I'm thinking a 1 or 2%  return is rather outweighed by the risk in such unprecedented times, even too big to fail 'safe' investments. Keeping it outside a bank has it's own risks too.

Are there any metrics for the amount of Sterling cash currently in circulation in the uk , and despite moving towards the cashless society,  is there any evidence of more individuals hoarding it now?

Drawing large amounts out isn't so easy - trying to draw 50k in cash for example involves jumping through some hoops. 

I like the idea of alternative investments - if you are expert on what you are buying; vintage watches and music gear have done well and are nice to own and even keep in the family. 

HOLA4412
On 23/05/2020 at 19:18, Warlord said:

Marcus/Goldman Sachs taking the p*ss..

OK so what should I do with cash savings? Sit here and accept a measly 1%?

If anyone has any recommendations let me know. 

What are you going to do @longgone

i just removed all the money out of marcus today,  and i quote  "as you are withdrawing and closing your account you can no apply for another Marcus product again" ?

GFY

HOLA4413
44 minutes ago, longgone said:

i just removed all the money out of marcus today,  and i quote  "as you are withdrawing and closing your account you can no apply for another Marcus product again" ?

GFY

Nice one! 

I'll probably do the same...

I hope your not going to put your money into BTC are you? :P

HOLA4414
13 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Nice one! 

I'll probably do the same...

I hope your not going to put your money into BTC are you? :P

NOPE !

nsi bond a massive 1.16% at least its 100% safe every bit of cash in this household is going to nsi in one way or another. 

HOLA4415
59 minutes ago, longgone said:

GFY

Out of interest, where are you stashing it instead?

I can't find anything paying better than their 1.05%. It sucks really...

Lots of other providers I'm with, which were offering better than that, have cut their rates and not bothered to notify me...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
52 minutes ago, longgone said:

NOPE !

nsi bond a massive 1.16% at least its 100% safe every bit of cash in this household is going to nsi in one way or another. 

If longer than a few months the returns will be eaten away bu rising inflation.

Safety first, after the biggest stocks crash in over a decade, is just laughable. You've all been brainwashed.

HOLA4423
10 minutes ago, Killer Bunny said:

Safety first, after the biggest stocks crash in over a decade, is just laughable. You've all been brainwashed.

Schiff brainwashed me. I don't like going into the stock market. It's still massively overvalued IMO 

HOLA4424
18 minutes ago, Killer Bunny said:

it would only return a few thousand hardly life changing. 

HOLA4425