House Price Crash Forum

OLED TV

PeanutButter

HOLA441
HOLA442

I've got a 75" LG (LED not OLED).

Good TV and generally happy with it but the WiFi became intermittent after 18 months. LG didn't want to know, out of warranty. I spoke to Currys, who when I mentioned sale of goods act said if I get it back to them they'll fix it, but not so easy with a 45Kg TV.

Searching online it seems to be a common fault. In the end I just ran an Ethernet cable between the TV and my router and switched off the WiFi in the TV settings menu.

No further problems, except it sometimes turns itself momentarily off (about half a second) and back on again , but only after it's been on for about an hour, after that it will stay on all day with no problem. It could be something to do with HDMI input settings as I have a complicated setup, or maybe my Harmony hub base remote but it's a minor issue.

So... good picture but don't expect too much from LG customer services if you have a problem out of warranty so try to buy with a 5 year on site warranty.

HOLA443
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

You lot seem to know more about tvs than I do.

Is LG a good brand? Is a 55" B9 OLED Ultra HD 4K HDR TV a good one? It’s £1100

Lg is the only brand they are the only ones making the Oled panels regardless of brand. 

HOLA444

I've installed hundreds, maybe in excess of a thousand TVs, on every conceivable bracket, sometimes manual sometimes motorised, sometimes even coming out of the ceiling. OLED is currently regarded as the best picture quality as you get the deep blacks that plasma was famed for. However, I have reservations about LG product, sure it works great but the user interface is crappy and also the all round build quality, the chassis and bezel quality etc. is dubious The LG is nice as a monitor if you're HDMI feeding a satellite box and an IPTV into it you don't need to see to the crap interface then OK. With regards to how the bezel looks, well thats usually down to the the misses. Bottom line though is OLED is superior picture quality to LCD/LED. The best quality TVs in terms of chassis engineering (for mounting) and visual appeal with the bezel, my fave was always Panasonic, beautiful quality. Dunno what they are punting out now and who's panel they are using though. LG OLED is very highly regarded panel though.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
6 hours ago, smash said:

I've installed hundreds, maybe in excess of a thousand TVs, on every conceivable bracket, sometimes manual sometimes motorised, sometimes even coming out of the ceiling. OLED is currently regarded as the best picture quality as you get the deep blacks that plasma was famed for. However, I have reservations about LG product, sure it works great but the user interface is crappy and also the all round build quality, the chassis and bezel quality etc. is dubious The LG is nice as a monitor if you're HDMI feeding a satellite box and an IPTV into it you don't need to see to the crap interface then OK. With regards to how the bezel looks, well thats usually down to the the misses. Bottom line though is OLED is superior picture quality to LCD/LED. The best quality TVs in terms of chassis engineering (for mounting) and visual appeal with the bezel, my fave was always Panasonic, beautiful quality. Dunno what they are punting out now and who's panel they are using though. LG OLED is very highly regarded panel though.

Lg are the only producer making oled panels they are expensive but worth the investment the blacks are deep because the pixel can be tuned off. 

i have a Panasonic oled and the picture is stunning only upgraded from the plasma as it was a bit flaky have to agree though Panasonic are still the best. as long as you stay away from the cheap stuff as it will be a mass produced vestel rebaged made in turkey. 

For the budget range Hisense is very good especially the 7500b sets, just as good as the Samsung`s at 3x the price. 

HOLA448
1 hour ago, longgone said:

Lg are the only producer making oled panels they are expensive but worth the investment the blacks are deep because the pixel can be tuned off. 

i have a Panasonic oled and the picture is stunning only upgraded from the plasma as it was a bit flaky have to agree though Panasonic are still the best. as long as you stay away from the cheap stuff as it will be a mass produced vestel rebaged made in turkey. 

For the budget range Hisense is very good especially the 7500b sets, just as good as the Samsung`s at 3x the price. 

I bought one of those last month for the spare bedroom. A 39" HD smart TV for £170, really nice little set at a bargain price.

HOLA449
12 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I bought one of those last month for the spare bedroom. A 39" HD smart TV for £170, really nice little set at a bargain price.

depends what you like looking at though Hd ready is quite low resolution now,  for me you need full Hd at least with a DVB-T2 tuner. 

most of the lower end of tv`s will be made by vestal regardless of badge some are ok some are awful light bleed poor build poor software. 

£170 sounds cheap but for £130 more i got a 55" hisense dolby vision, DLED backlight, wide colour gamut, lots of higher end features in tv`s twice the price or more. 

The build quality on the samsung it replaced was shocking, all those modern tv`s are still not built like the first pioneer plasma i had pdp-433hde.  2003 model aluminium remote and frame, stainless steel stand no plastic anywhere.  should do for 7 grand when it came out. ?

HOLA4410

depends what you like looking at though Hd ready is quite low resolution now,  for me you need full Hd at least with a DVB-T2 tuner. 

most of the lower end of tv`s will be made by vestal regardless of badge some are ok some are awful light bleed poor build poor software. 

£170 sounds cheap but for £130 more i got a 55" hisense dolby vision, DLED backlight, wide colour gamut, lots of higher end features in tv`s twice the price or more. 

The build quality on the samsung it replaced was shocking, all those modern tv`s are still not built like the first pioneer plasma i had pdp-433hde.  2003 model aluminium remote and frame, stainless steel stand no plastic anywhere.  should do for 7 grand when it came out. ?

It is full HD and great for a spare bedroom. We have three other TVs (Full HD & 4K)from 75" to 50" LED and plasma and a Sim2 DLP PJ.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I remember those Pioneers, built like a tank and oozed quality, pretty sure they were UK made and despite the price tag Pioneer never made money on them, more about getting quality into the market with a Pioneer badge. I fitted one of the last 50inch models in Knightsbridge for a middle eastern family that was a total ballache - watching TV gone insane. The TV was in a recess to the side of a fireplace and was on a very weighty double articulated motorised bracket so the TV would present itself at an angle toward the middle of the room. Just getting secure fixing on the wall for the combined weight of the TV and bracket was a total nightmare with loads of explosive bolts but thats not all. The client wanted the TV to be hidden behind a painting when not in use and you can get painting frames made up with a motorised roller at the top for this specific purpose. So when you want to watch TV the painting rolls up then telly comes out on the motor bracket. Of course you've got to make sure there is no way for the TV bracket to start without the painting being rolled up as of course your Pioneer plasma would burst through your artwork; used micro switches and contact closures. All for watching a bit of telly, mental.

HOLA4413
7 minutes ago, smash said:

I remember those Pioneers, built like a tank and oozed quality, pretty sure they were UK made and despite the price tag Pioneer never made money on them, more about getting quality into the market with a Pioneer badge. I fitted one of the last 50inch models in Knightsbridge for a middle eastern family that was a total ballache - watching TV gone insane. The TV was in a recess to the side of a fireplace and was on a very weighty double articulated motorised bracket so the TV would present itself at an angle toward the middle of the room. Just getting secure fixing on the wall for the combined weight of the TV and bracket was a total nightmare with loads of explosive bolts but thats not all. The client wanted the TV to be hidden behind a painting when not in use and you can get painting frames made up with a motorised roller at the top for this specific purpose. So when you want to watch TV the painting rolls up then telly comes out on the motor bracket. Of course you've got to make sure there is no way for the TV bracket to start without the painting being rolled up as of course your Pioneer plasma would burst through your artwork; used micro switches and contact closures. All for watching a bit of telly, mental.

yup great big heavy thing, all the connections were on the separate Av receiver.  i did a bit of a dodgy deal to get it cost me £300 at the time. shame it ended up screen burnt.  speakers were extra`s stands also. laughable now really 1024 x768 resolution. ?

sounds like you are a AV installer ?  there is some good money in that especially home automation home monitoring. 

HOLA4414
4 minutes ago, longgone said:

yup great big heavy thing, all the connections were on the separate Av receiver.  i did a bit of a dodgy deal to get it cost me £300 at the time. shame it ended up screen burnt.  speakers were extra`s stands also. laughable now really 1024 x768 resolution. ?

sounds like you are a AV installer ?  there is some good money in that especially home automation home monitoring. 

Yes, I've not been active for a couple of years but you can have a laugh with it. Really, you don't want the big jobs as there's loads of phaff with it. True home automation is things like light sensors that trip window blinds, stuff like that. Central London company Cornflake has one of the best reputations for this kind of stuff.

http://www.cornflake.co.uk/

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, smash said:

Yes, I've not been active for a couple of years but you can have a laugh with it. Really, you don't want the big jobs as there's loads of phaff with it. True home automation is things like light sensors that trip window blinds, stuff like that. Central London company Cornflake has one of the best reputations for this kind of stuff.

http://www.cornflake.co.uk/

if i ever win the lotto i will use their services ?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
On 19/04/2020 at 07:05, smash said:

However, I have reservations about LG product, sure it works great but the user interface is crappy and also the all round build quality, the chassis and bezel quality etc. is dubious 

I have a relatively ancient LG television from 2009/2010 (a LED) in my bedroom and it's still going strong and has a adequate 1080p image. LG's build quality is not quite as lavish as Panasonic units, but still reasonably solid and reliable (plus less gaudy than Samsung's and no nonsense like Sony's).

The newer LGs have odd/dodgy firmware interfaces, but it's to encourage customers to buy upgraded LG "smart" remotes.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
23 hours ago, longgone said:

Thanks, you’re good with the googling! 

Alas I had to use a voucher someone gave me and was restricted to...wait for it...Selfridges. :D 

Combed their entire bleddy website of useless tat and the only thing I could see us using was a new telly. 

Honestly the shyte they sell is mind blowing. £400 candles! £300 toothbrushes! Who the heck needs an app for their toothbrush?

And you know the worst part? They’re bloody sold out most of this wankery. Eat the rich.

HOLA4420
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

Thanks, you’re good with the googling! 

Alas I had to use a voucher someone gave me and was restricted to...wait for it...Selfridges. :D 

Combed their entire bleddy website of useless tat and the only thing I could see us using was a new telly. 

Honestly the shyte they sell is mind blowing. £400 candles! £300 toothbrushes! Who the heck needs an app for their toothbrush?

And you know the worst part? They’re bloody sold out most of this wankery. Eat the rich.

nah was on hotukdeals. ?

you must have nice relations giving vouchers to buy a oled tv.

HOLA4421

nah was on hotukdeals. ?

you must have nice relations giving vouchers to buy a oled tv.

Sadly not from family - but I’ve worked at the same place for 10 years and I guess I’m not entirely hated. Though I’ve done my best.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
13 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

C9 is the later variant.

Can't believe that the thread got this far without anyone raising the concern of burn-in.

had mine a year none at all.  although Panasonic has the best processing knowledge from their plasma kit LG not so much even though they make the panels.  The TV will condition itself after  certain hrs of usage to limit this. 

HOLA4424
26 minutes ago, longgone said:

had mine a year none at all.  although Panasonic has the best processing knowledge from their plasma kit LG not so much even though they make the panels.  The TV will condition itself after  certain hrs of usage to limit this. 

Think the burn in issue has got better over time, but from what you see on the web, it is still possible.

I guess it depends whether you are using this tv for gaming and or watching stuff like news channels, where large areas of the image can be static for a long time.

I know that the algorithms for reducing the potential for burn in have been improving, and I would guess that later tvs handle this better/are less susceptible.

I think part of the problem is that the tendency for burn in can be erratic, and that is probably due to manufacturing variation, yet if you do burn in, then it is always treated as your fault.

I would be pissed if I spent k's on a high end tv, only to wreck it through burn in, so at the moment this tech is not for me.

The price of OLED does seem fairly sticky at the moment. I guess that is because there is only one panel manufacturer. Maybe in a couple more years they will both solve the burn in issue and there will be more manufacturers that bring the price down.

Some user experiences in this thread :

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5913667/oled-tv-screen-burn/p10

I do think because of the heightened sensitivity to this issue there are other general performance issues that are not burn in that are being reported as such, ie any problem with the tv display is being alluded to as "burn in" even though it might actually be due to something different.

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Think the burn in issue has got better over time, but from what you see on the web, it is still possible.

I guess it depends whether you are using this tv for gaming and or watching stuff like news channels, where large areas of the image can be static for a long time.

I know that the algorithms for reducing the potential for burn in have been improving, and I would guess that later tvs handle this better/are less susceptible.

I think part of the problem is that the tendency for burn in can be erratic, and that is probably due to manufacturing variation, yet if you do burn in, then it is always treated as your fault.

I would be pissed if I spent k's on a high end tv, only to wreck it through burn in, so at the moment this tech is not for me.

The price of OLED does seem fairly sticky at the moment. I guess that is because there is only one panel manufacturer. Maybe in a couple more years they will both solve the burn in issue and there will be more manufacturers that bring the price down.

Some user experiences in this thread :

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5913667/oled-tv-screen-burn/p10

I do think because of the heightened sensitivity to this issue there are other general performance issues that are not burn in that are being reported as such, ie any problem with the tv display is being alluded to as "burn in" even though it might actually be due to something different.

as i said i have no burn in issues at all, the first gen of LG panels had this issue. i have not seen posts about panasonic panels doing this.  panasonic know how to setup the tv so the chance of this happening is slim or not at all, they were the masters of plasma so they know how to deal with this. 

LG may make the panels but that does not make them the same,  the electronics driving the panels will be different. 

who needs reviews i have been watching one for the last year 0 burn in. 

Archived