House Price Crash Forum

Politics is tearing itself apart

Si1

HOLA441
HOLA442
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA443
On 20/02/2019 at 19:09, Si1 said:

It's the logical conclusion of divisive technocratic elitist monetary policy. Anything could happen now.

The thing that I find hardest to understand out of all of it is why the 50+ age group seem so unhappy. Politicians have picked them to be winners for decades - rising real wages, able to buy a house and raise a family on a single wage, decent pensions, they got the house price inflation they seemed to want, politicians pander to this group far more than younger cohorts etc. So why are they convinced that they are so hard done by?

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA444
3 hours ago, Dorkins said:

The thing that I find hardest to understand out of all of it is why the 50+ age group seem so unhappy. Politicians have picked them to be winners for decades - rising real wages, able to buy a house and raise a family on a single wage, decent pensions, they got the house price inflation they seemed to want, politicians pander to this group far more than younger cohorts etc. So why are they convinced that they are so hard done by?

This is my question too. And still a lot of them (not all) rage against the youth.

It seems they had it all but also want to prevent the youth from having their turn at changing the world.

HOLA445

No group in any society ever thinks, we have had preferential treatment for so long, lets give somebody else a go. They feel entitled to what they have. In fact, the more unjust the situation , the stronger the defence of entitlement.  Raging against the youth is really a justification for letting the drawbridge get pulled up while being protected themselves. 

The thing is, nobody actually believes in the system anymore, we just all publicly pretend to believe because it is convenient. 

HOLA446

Politics isn't tearing itself apart. It's shifting.

The divide is no longer between communism and capitalism, it's between globalism and nationalism. The 'elite' want a globalized world where they're in charge and raking in all the dough. The people who actually do the work want nations where they can decide their fate.

Arguing about ideology is pointless when you don't have nations to argue about it in.

HOLA447
On 17/03/2019 at 03:03, MarkG said:

The people who actually do the work want nations where they can decide their fate.

Nah. The people who do the work are usually young. And young people voted to remain in the EU, for example. It is the older generations who don't like change and want to reverse time to more nationalist days.

HOLA448
1 hour ago, dugsbody said:

Nah. The people who do the work are usually young. And young people voted to remain in the EU, for example. It is the older generations who don't like change and want to reverse time to more nationalist days.

So the young are fed up of doing all the work in the UK and voted remain so we could be more like other European countries?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266228/youth-unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries/

HOLA449
HOLA4410
8 hours ago, dugsbody said:

Nah. The people who do the work are usually young.

No, they're not. Many companies are full of old farts because they're the only ones who can do most of the work. When those old farts retire or die, the work will stop because there's no-one competent enough to replace them.

The young want globalism because they think they're going to get paid 'Universal Basic Income' to sit around playing computer games all day.

Edited by MarkG

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
On 24/03/2019 at 12:23, Habeas Domus said:

This may seem like a wild idea, but maybe competence is not related to age at all - there are idiots of all ages.

But there are far less competent Millenials than kids of earlier generations. I constantly see business owners complaining online that they need to replace the old farts who want to retire, but they can't find anyone competent enough to do the work.

HOLA4413
On 31/03/2019 at 18:46, MarkG said:

But there are far less competent Millenials than kids of earlier generations. I constantly see business owners complaining online that they need to replace the old farts who want to retire, but they can't find anyone competent enough to do the work.

And they're partially to blame for that. Businesses have played their part in it by deciding they can't be arsed to train people any more, refusing to recruit anyone without experience that they'll have to train up. Then the young feel screwed over. The previous generation forms the next one and they've formed the millenials to be useless. Of course they should help themselves too but they start with the odds stacked against them.

HOLA4414
3 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

And they're partially to blame for that. Businesses have played their part in it by deciding they can't be arsed to train people any more, refusing to recruit anyone without experience that they'll have to train up. Then the young feel screwed over. The previous generation forms the next one and they've formed the millenials to be useless. Of course they should help themselves too but they start with the odds stacked against them.

Exactly, so few apprenticeships now compared to my parents generation. 

And lots of employeers want a junior cost with expert knowledge now. For CAD related work all i see is 2-5 years minimum experience for a CAD junoir. They dont want to train kids as, and i keep getting told "whats stopping them going to another company after we have trained them?"

Maybe offer them an incentive to stay, show them some loyalty and they will probably show you some back, and pay them a wage that reflects their progression.

I'm 22 years in the industry and trying to get more employees in and wanting to train the next generation. The old stock are too stuck in their ways and hampering progression "we built Concorde in 2D with pencils, so why do we need to draw a house in 3D?" Because its quicker, easier and gives a better product... but what do i know /rant